A "NEW" stimulus package

Momentum building for new economy-boosting package

The last time Congress gave a tax rebate families where an ITIN was used instead of an SSN were excluded from the rebate. This was pure discrimination against these families mainly due to the laziness of Congress. They wanted to keep illegal aliens from receiving this benefit and treated legal aliens as illegal in the process.

Take a few minutes and write your congressional representatives, it only takes a few members of congress to take up the cause to prevent this injustice from happening again.

Write Your Representative

Senators of the 110th Congress

If you are at a loss of words to write, try these:

While Congress is considering a "NEW" stimulus package, I would ask that you demand that any "tax rebate" remove the discriminatory practice contained in the last "tax rebate".

Many US Citizens who are married to "legal immigrants" or have children who are "legal immigrants" were excluded from the last stimulus package simply for the fact that there was an immigrant listed as part of a joint filing using an ITIN(individual taxpayer identification number) instead of a Social Security Number. These families are subject to inefficient case processing by the USCIS and laws that are intended to prevent illegal aliens from receiving a SSN. The visa categories involved are K-1, K-2, K-3 and K-4 which are family related visas available to families of US Citizens.

Congress allowed discrimination against these families, who were treated as "illegal aliens" by the US Government. Do not allow this discrimination to occur again!!!

While I agree that illegal aliens should not receive any benefit from the US Government, unfortunately Congress has done little if nothing to prevent illegals from receiving benefits paid for by US Citizens and Legal immigrants, that except for the recent "tax rebate". Congress in trying to prevent illegal aliens from receiving this benefit chose to include legal aliens who do not have a social security number through no fault of their own as they are waiting for the USCIS to process their Adjustment of Status as part of their family related visa case. Also it is through no fault of their own that they are waiting for the USCIS to do their job in an efficient manner.

While you may hear that it is not possible to differentiate between types of immigrants it is not true and can easily be implemented if Congress gives clear direction in the new stimulus package.

When there is a joint tax return where one spouse and/or children use an ITIN and the other spouse provides an SSN the USCIS, who approves and issues ITIN(s), can verify the immigration status to confirm or deny the immigration category of the family members using an ITIN. If that is too difficult or expensive then I suggest that the SSA provide the verification and Congress required the IRS and SSA to provide a verification system concerning SSN's and ITIN's in an attempt to prevent fraud, so use this system to prevent discrimination as well.

Remember these families pay taxes and are trying to navigate the immigration process and have not asked for a handout, in fact, these families are paying the USCIS for all the services they receive and receive poor service for the fee's charged.

These people are not freeloaders and not ILLEGAL ALIENS, quit treating them as such.

And while I have your attention, quit insulting my family by referring to illegal aliens as "illegal immigrants", these people are have broken the laws of the United States and should be confused in any way with those who have endured the process to enter this country legally.

Include the families of US Citizens in the "NEW" stimulus package and if you wish to be fair and equitable in this process give these families the "tax rebate" they deserved the last time as well.

Momentum building for new economy-boosting package

The last time Congress gave a tax rebate families where an ITIN was used instead of an SSN were excluded from the rebate. This was pure discrimination against these families mainly due to the laziness of Congress. They wanted to keep illegal aliens from receiving this benefit and treated legal aliens as illegal in the process.

Take a few minutes and write your congressional representatives, it only takes a few members of congress to take up the cause to prevent this injustice from happening again.

Write Your Representative

Senators of the 110th Congress

If you are at a loss of words to write, try these:

While Congress is considering a "NEW" stimulus package, I would ask that you demand that any "tax rebate" remove the discriminatory practice contained in the last "tax rebate".

Many US Citizens who are married to "legal immigrants" or have children who are "legal immigrants" were excluded from the last stimulus package simply for the fact that there was an immigrant listed as part of a joint filing using an ITIN(individual taxpayer identification number) instead of a Social Security Number. These families are subject to inefficient case processing by the USCIS and laws that are intended to prevent illegal aliens from receiving a SSN. The visa categories involved are K-1, K-2, K-3 and K-4 which are family related visas available to families of US Citizens.

Congress allowed discrimination against these families, who were treated as "illegal aliens" by the US Government. Do not allow this discrimination to occur again!!!

While I agree that illegal aliens should not receive any benefit from the US Government, unfortunately Congress has done little if nothing to prevent illegals from receiving benefits paid for by US Citizens and Legal immigrants, that except for the recent "tax rebate". Congress in trying to prevent illegal aliens from receiving this benefit chose to include legal aliens who do not have a social security number through no fault of their own as they are waiting for the USCIS to process their Adjustment of Status as part of their family related visa case. Also it is through no fault of their own that they are waiting for the USCIS to do their job in an efficient manner.

While you may hear that it is not possible to differentiate between types of immigrants it is not true and can easily be implemented if Congress gives clear direction in the new stimulus package.

When there is a joint tax return where one spouse and/or children use an ITIN and the other spouse provides an SSN the USCIS, who approves and issues ITIN(s), can verify the immigration status to confirm or deny the immigration category of the family members using an ITIN. If that is too difficult or expensive then I suggest that the SSA provide the verification and Congress required the IRS and SSA to provide a verification system concerning SSN's and ITIN's in an attempt to prevent fraud, so use this system to prevent discrimination as well.

Remember these families pay taxes and are trying to navigate the immigration process and have not asked for a handout, in fact, these families are paying the USCIS for all the services they receive and receive poor service for the fee's charged.

These people are not freeloaders and not ILLEGAL ALIENS, quit treating them as such.

And while I have your attention, quit insulting my family by referring to illegal aliens as "illegal immigrants", these people are have broken the laws of the United States and should be confused in any way with those who have endured the process to enter this country legally.

Include the families of US Citizens in the "NEW" stimulus package and if you wish to be fair and equitable in this process give these families the "tax rebate" they deserved the last time as well.

DONE!

;)

Woo hoo, more free money!!! :rolleyes:

I vote to write congress and tell them to stop f**king with the economy and adding to the growing deficit. :rolleyes:

I agree, but they aren't going to listen.

The big guns in Congress are all for giving another stimulus package, so let's try to help those they screwed the last time.

It one thing to have decided not to give it to someone without a SSN number... but to refuse a partial amount to USCs who file and pay taxes and who happened to have filed [jointly] with someone not yet having a SSN... maybe still out of the country... and denying ALL people on the tax return ANY money is beyond comprehension...

I can't believe this honestly... denying USCs in this way...

It one thing to have decided not to give it to someone without a SSN number... but to refuse a partial amount to USCs who file and pay taxes and who happened to have filed [jointly] with someone not yet having a SSN... maybe still out of the country... and denying ALL people on the tax return ANY money is beyond comprehension...

Believe it... :rolleyes:

Economic Stimulus Payment Q&As: Taxpayer Identification Numbers

Q. I file using an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). Can I still get a stimulus payment?

A. In most cases, the law does not allow stimulus payments for people who file a return using an ITIN. A taxpayer generally needs a valid Social Security number to qualify for the stimulus payment. If married filing jointly, both taxpayers must have a valid Social Security number ¡ª the only exception is a joint return on which either spouse is a member of the armed forces. Children must have valid Social Security numbers to be eligible as qualifying children.

Q. If I currently have an ITIN and file my return using it but later this year get an SSN, can I amend my return to get the payment or will I need to wait until I file my 2008 return to claim it?

A. You will need to wait until you file your 2008 income tax return.

Q. I have an ITIN, but my spouse has a valid Social Security number. Can we get a payment?

A. In most cases, if you and your spouse file a joint return, you will not get a stimulus payment. There is only one exception to this rule: If either you or your spouse is a member of the U.S. military, you will get a payment in November. If your spouse files a separate return, your spouse may qualify for a payment, based on his or her income deductions and credits.

Q. If I have a spouse with an ITIN and choose "married filing separately" status to qualify for the economic stimulus payment and later on amend my original return to "married filing jointly" status, will I need to return the stimulus payment?

A. No.

Q. If I have a valid Social Security number and my child has an ITIN, do I get extra money for the child?

A. Generally speaking, no. You cannot get the extra credit for your children unless everyone listed on the return has a valid Social Security number. This includes you and your qualifying children. If you file a joint return, your spouse must generally have a valid SSN as well. The only exception is when at least one of the spouses is a member of the Armed Forces.

Q. I adopted a child this year and my child has an ATIN (Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number). Will I receive the $300 additional child payment?

A. An ATIN is issued by the IRS as a temporary taxpayer identification number for the child. Adoptive parents who do not yet have a Social Security number for their child generally will not get the stimulus payment. However, if they receive a Social Security number for the child before the end of 2008, they can claim the additional child payment on their 2008 tax return

My wife and I did not receive the stimulus payment because she has an ITIN. Filing married and separate was not a good option for us.

After I explained all of this to her, she was somewhat ok with this until I told her who the USA borrowed the money from. :lol: :D

You could always file an ammended return and change to filing jointly, no use loosing that money as well.

Yes David.

Not only was mine and my new wife's, who had the ITIN denied, but also my two minor children from my previous marriage (both USC's), whom I always claim on my yearly Form 1040. This was a clear cut case of 'disenfranchisement' for so many USC taxpayers !!! :roller:

There was a newspaper article out last May, which spoke to this. It seems that a very vocal anti-immigrant lobby group in D.C., was so worried about illegals getting the benefit, they had language quickly inserted which fuc..d many of us and also many US servicemen, who are married to foreign nationals. Following is an excerpt:

The group is (FAIR) Federation for American Immigration Reform, who lobbied against a version of the bill that didn't require a Social Security number for the rebate, worried about the prospect of illegal immigrants receiving check. Spokesman Ira Mehlman said the exclusion of legal immigrants and Americans married to non-citizens was an [unintended consequence].

"If you're serving abroad and haven't been able to file the paperwork, they should make an exception," he said. "If one spouse is a citizen, is here legally and is filing, they should probably be entitled."

Many of the couples snagged by this provision weren't aware that filing taxes using the foreign spouse's IRS-issued Taxpayer Identification Number instead of a Social Security number would cut them out.

I wrote to Sen. Feinstein's office in S.F. and in D.C. complaining about the situation and after a six week wait, I received a very generic reply about the overall provisions of the stimulus package; obviously, my detailed letter was not even read, they just pushed a button on the response machine, when they saw what the subject was.

I hope they fix this, if another stimulus is truly in the works again. :icecream: