What legal responsibility does the USC have to the wife's child(ren) if they are not legally adopted? It is my understanding that the USC has no legal rights whatsoever therefore the USC has no responsibilty to the child(ren) to begin with unlike responsibilties towards any of their own children from a previous marriage where, by law, they're obligated to pay child support.

The USC is free from any of that. If the marriage breaks up, the USC is not forced to pay any kind of child support toward her child(ren). That is how I see it but I'm not sure how it works out. Will the USC be forced to pay CS for his ex-wife's Chinese child(ren)?

IF there are no legal rights to the child(ren) to begin with, how can the USC be forced to pay CS if the marriage fails? I think that can be successfully argued against in the court of law since the USC has no legal rights towards the child(ren) to begin with. As far as the law (and the USCIS) is concerned the USC is merely a guardian but I'm not exactly sure what lies behind any laws concerning this matter.

Of course all that is over when the child(ren) reaches the age of maturity and then, by law, they are definitely on their own.

Does anyone have knowledge on legal rights, if any, concerning this matter?

Guest Rob & Jin

you signed legal support papers to keep them off of Govt welfare ? I-134 and i-864 ? with all their names on it correct.

not child support "per say"

sorry it did not work out :partytime2:

try mediation, if that fails a good lawyer.

Normally ....divorce, however judges can assign responsibility as they see fit...

I agree with this. About any ruling, not just divorce.

This is one of those "somebody" said deals. Ask yourself if somebody said, "You're screwed" or, conversely, somebody said, "It didn't happen to me. Don't worry."

What if 3 somebodies gave you feedback, or 12. Wanna go for best 5 of 7? I guess your seeking advice and re-assurance.

Seek it from an attorney.