Amnesty for Illegal Immigrants

why can't Chinese nationals get tourist visas to visit the US?  Ask Jing Mei's cousin.  Perhaps he can tell us why.

I don't need to ask them. I think I already know the answer. It's our government. They think no matter who gets a visa from China, they'll likely not return.

If a woman, the concern is that she'll find someone to marry. If a guy, he'll just not go back. They see it as a huge gamble, thereby making it nearly impossible for tourist visas to be issued.

A travel agent friend of JM's said that most tourist visas are granted to Chinese gov officials. Safer bet, I guess.

Like I've posted before, it's my understanding that visas are a reflection of the general relationship and trust between the two countries. We still have grave doubts about China, thereby making it very hard for them. They require visas too but we all know how easy it is to get one. It seems more a money making deal for them than anything else.

Just my two cents, but I think I'm close.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sanfranciscojoe

the government knows that people come here, disappear and work under the table. they think this is particularly true with regard to China. rightly or wrongly, thats what they think. as a result they foreclosed the tourist visa even for the honest ones. thank the cousin for the fact that our fiancees cant come here on vacation while we wait for the k1 visas to come through. shame on those who have abridged our interests for their own greed.

I know many people come from mexico with the same illegal intent. (they are NOT undocumented, they are illegal, political sensitivities aside) however, they usually dont come on tourist visas. therefore, shutting down the tourist visas for mexico wouldnt solve the problem.

the government knows that people come here, disappear and work under the table.  they think this is particularly true with regard to China.  rightly or wrongly, thats what they think. as a result they foreclosed the tourist visa even for the honest ones.  thank the cousin for the fact that our fiancees cant come here on vacation while we wait for the k1 visas to come through. shame on those who have abridged our interests for their own greed.

I know many people come from mexico with the same illegal intent. (they are NOT undocumented, they are illegal, political sensitivities aside) however, they usually dont come on tourist visas.  therefore, shutting down the tourist visas for mexico wouldnt solve the problem.

It's worse than that. When they told me the story, they actually giggled about him staying for so long. It wasn't his fault he got away with it. It's our own government's policy that let him. He knew he was scamming but knew he could get away with it as long as the gov would let him. He, like the 9/11 terrorists, saw a gap in our system. They played it to their advantage.

Again...I say....too heavy on administration. Too weak on enforcement.

...I am always so impressed by our group memebers' knowledge, wit and various opinion...

why not your guys write down your opinion and send to Bush, Concilmen,... Newsgroup, or.. any one who has a big hat? :huh:

that might be much more useful than writing on candle. :)