Christianity in China...

So would it now be possible to just forget the religion part completely and re-focus on the question of simple ethical behavior??? :blink:

since china doesn't really espouse religion, they gave it up thousands of years ago... it seems you are the one stuck on religion in china :P

Drop your idea of ethics as a thinking-thing and replace it with a doing-thing... that is a loose shift from west to east.

You want the chinese to be ethical, but in a western way... if you want to know chinese ethics, you need to study confucianism, buddhism, daoism, mohism, legalism, etc... but again... they have left the "isms" long behind to simple integration and distillation of "what to do" in life.

I might recommend studying Stoicism.. their ethics and naturalism is as close as it as come in the west.

Still David...For those who read the actual article... :huh: There are now up to 130 million Christians in China and their numbers are increasing like a Long March V taking off from Wenchang...So it seems that it is the Chinese themslves who are looking for more than "To get rich is glorious"... :unsure:

It's just another import... be it jeans or religion... it's novel to them. If rich is glorious has not taken some it is probably simply something else. Realize that the chinese excel at integration of seemingly disparate issues; they can even be buddhist and christian at the same time without a problem which the west cannot comprehend.

The main reason that buddhism, an import from India, worked and Zen did not work is because the former was easy to follow due to it's ritual approach and the latter was too much detachment for their humanistic tendencies. Buddhism offered some glimpse into the spiritual nature which they generally had been missing from their philosophical diet. Christianity now offers something more novel.

If the Rites Controversy hadn't occurred and the Catholic church hadn't caused themselves to be kicked out of the Manchu palace rule... they would of received a christianity of the 1600-1700... imagine the result today of that.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is also interesting to note that one flavor of Christianity, the Prosperity Gospel, is now making inroads in China. It is spreading like wildfire and it is easy to see why, given the new prosperity in the nation. This is not a positive turn of events to say the least. But I suspect, from a sociological perspective, it is easy to understand.

Robert Schuller is very big over there. Back in around 2002 or so, a translation of his ancient book "Move Ahead With Possibility Thinking" was published in Chinese over there. Everytime a shipment came into the store in Shantou where I lived, it sold out by noon. Incredible.

I hear someone is trying to get Joel Osteen's two books translated and published over there as well.

It is also interesting to note that one flavor of Christianity, the Prosperity Gospel, is now making inroads in China. It is spreading like wildfire and it is easy to see why, given the new prosperity in the nation. This is not a positive turn of events to say the least. But I suspect, from a sociological perspective, it is easy to understand.

Robert Schuller is very big over there. Back in around 2002 or so, a translation of his ancient book "Move Ahead With Possibility Thinking" was published in Chinese over there. Everytime a shipment came into the store in Shantou where I lived, it sold out by noon. Incredible.

I hear someone is trying to get Joel Osteen's two books translated and published over there as well.

Didn't know that... but that does make sense also IMO... my wife would of bought that based on the title alone!

Guest ShaQuaNew

This is an example of how some Christians spoil it for their faith. It's a shame really that some people think using their religion to change things they don't like, will win them points in heaven...

Protesting nuns branded terrorists

Pair classified by state police; names placed on national list

BALTIMORE | For decades, Sister Carol Gilbert and Sister Ardeth Platte have practiced their Roman Catholic faith with an unwavering focus on world peace. Their antiwar activities even landed them in federal prison earlier this decade for trespassing onto a military base and pouring blood onto a nuclear missile silo.

Now they face fresh infamy as two nuns secretly branded by Maryland State Police as terrorists and placed on a national watch list.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/oct/1...uns-fight-back/

This is an example of how some Christians spoil it for their faith. It's a shame really that some people think using their religion to change things they don't like, will win them points in heaven...

BALTIMORE | For decades, Sister Carol Gilbert and Sister Ardeth Platte have practiced their Roman Catholic faith with an unwavering focus on world peace. Their antiwar activities even landed them in federal prison earlier this decade for trespassing onto a military base and pouring blood onto a nuclear missile silo.

Now they face fresh infamy as two nuns secretly branded by Maryland State Police as terrorists and placed on a national watch list.

Those are actually two activists who happen to be Catholic nuns - they could as easily be Greenpeace.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Those are actually two activists who happen to be Catholic nuns - they could as easily be Greenpeace.

Yes. It's a code-pink thing I think. Just goes to show that militant activism continues. It's nothing new really.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Roger, your point is a good one. The further spread of Christianity in China may help provide a better defined moral compass for both those directly involved and those adjacent.

chinese dont need import morals from west, we have better and much older. :P

Roger, your point is a good one. The further spread of Christianity in China may help provide a better defined moral compass for both those directly involved and those adjacent.

chinese dont need import morals from west, we have better and much older. :blink:

I agree with you Jin but too much of that past was wiped out by the Cultural Revolution in China and now too many people have the almighty YUAN to worship witn no regard for anyone else...And once again let me state I am NOT pushing for China to become a Christian country... :unsure: I am NOT a Christian but only have a Christian upbringing... :cheering: