Christianity in China...

http://www.economist.com/world/asia/displa...ory_id=12342509

I already know what you're thinking... :blink: What's a pagan like me doing talking about RELIGION??? :lol:

Lately with all the bad news about melamine, mine disasters, intentionally contaminated food, etc. I've been wondering if China doesn't need some kind of ethical/moral guidepost for its people. "To get rich is glorious" just doesn't cover all the bases of human behavior... :ph34r: There is Confuscianism and I have read of party efforts to promote it. But what seems to be taking hold much more quickly is Christianity...So here's an article from the widely respected Economist on the growth of Christianity in China...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already know what you're thinking... :blink: What's a pagan like me doing talking about RELIGION??? :lol:

Lately with all the bad news about melamine, mine disasters, intentionally contaminated food, etc. I've been wondering if China doesn't need some kind of ethical/moral guidepost for its people. "To get rich is glorious" just doesn't cover all the bases of human behavior... :ph34r: There is Confuscianism and I have read of party efforts to promote it. But what seems to be taking hold much more quickly is Christianity...So here's an article from the widely respected Economist on the growth of Christianity in China...

My wifes Mom is Christian,also my step daughter is always asking questions about God,the Christian faith.....there is a great hunger right now over there for something greater than "I,me,mine"

the growth of Christianity in China....i'm not surprised

jimi

I already know what you're thinking... :blink: What's a pagan like me doing talking about RELIGION??? :ph34r:

Lately with all the bad news about melamine, mine disasters, intentionally contaminated food, etc. I've been wondering if China doesn't need some kind of ethical/moral guidepost for its people. "To get rich is glorious" just doesn't cover all the bases of human behavior... :rolleyes: There is Confuscianism and I have read of party efforts to promote it. But what seems to be taking hold much more quickly is Christianity...So here's an article from the widely respected Economist on the growth of Christianity in China...

Christianity's track record as an ethical/moral guidepost is dubious at best. :ph34r:

What it does have a good track record in is self-promotion and separating people from their money and senses.

YMMV ;)

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)
Guest Mike and Lily

I already know what you're thinking... :blink: What's a pagan like me doing talking about RELIGION??? :ph34r:

Lately with all the bad news about melamine, mine disasters, intentionally contaminated food, etc. I've been wondering if China doesn't need some kind of ethical/moral guidepost for its people. "To get rich is glorious" just doesn't cover all the bases of human behavior... B) There is Confuscianism and I have read of party efforts to promote it. But what seems to be taking hold much more quickly is Christianity...So here's an article from the widely respected Economist on the growth of Christianity in China...

Christianity's track record as an ethical/moral guidepost is dubious at best. :ph34r:

What it does have a good track record in is self-promotion and separating people from their money and senses.

YMMV ;)

No religion has a good track record.

Lately with all the bad news about melamine, mine disasters, intentionally contaminated food, etc. I've been wondering if China doesn't need some kind of ethical/moral guidepost for its people. "To get rich is glorious" just doesn't cover all the bases of human behavior... B) There is Confuscianism and I have read of party efforts to promote it. But what seems to be taking hold much more quickly is Christianity...So here's an article from the widely respected Economist on the growth of Christianity in China...

YMMV ;)

No religion has a good track record.

Won't argue with that Mike. (for once :D ) But since Rog's post and link dealt with Chrisitianity, that's the one I mentioned. ;)

YMMV ;)

Christianity as a ethical/moral guidepost,is just that a guidepost,a goal to aim for,religion makes one a better person,but by no means a perfect person.It is a guidepost.of course religion has a bad track record,because the human race is imperfect,no way getting around that.

peace out

jimi

Christianity's track record as an ethical/moral guidepost is dubious at best. B)

YMMV :ph34r:

Nothing (or very few things) in this imperfect world is absolute, there are good people and very evil people, someone could be a good (insert whatever religion here) and not go to church, just as someone could go to church and commit heinous crimes. Going to church doesn't make anyone religious any more than walking into a barn makes you a cow.

If you took your car to a mechanic and got ripped off, would you then condemn all mechanics?

just my opinon

Richard

Christianity's track record as an ethical/moral guidepost is dubious at best. B)

Nothing (or very few things) in this imperfect world is absolute, there are good people and very evil people, someone could be a good (insert whatever religion here) and not go to church, just as someone could go to church and commit heinous crimes. Going to church doesn't make anyone religious any more than walking into a barn makes you a cow.

If you took your car to a mechanic and got ripped off, would you then condemn all mechanics?

just my opinon

Richard

No, but I wouldn't go back !

just my opinon

Richard

No, but I wouldn't go back !

:ph34r:

Or you could insert "person" without ANY religion. :rolleyes:

I agree

And of course I wasn't condemning ALL mechanics.

This was a neutral statement I made, not directed at you Dave

Richard

Edited by usaRichard (see edit history)