Im filling out my sponsor papers (I-864) and it asks me to prove income through a tax return, I dont have my tax returns but I have the contracts with the date, pay rate, and chop on a letterhead from the school that I work at in China. Do I send it all the way back to The States and wait for my return or do I take the contracts to the consulate in Guangzhou? I e-mailed the consulate and they said its clearly explained on the application instructions. :D Also I had a job three years ago In the United States but I cant get the w-2's that far back and that company wont send it to China. i havent asked them but gee cnat I just affirm or swear to something like that? I need a cosponsor, and they are sending that back soon.

please help me!!!!!!!! i want to get this over with and have some peace of mind.

thank you,

Jesse and Charlie

Jesse:

I was in a similar situation as you are when I filed the original petition. I had been working in China for over three years at that time. What I did was fill at the forms, stating my Chinese income translated into US dollars. I attached an official document from my Chinese employer listing my income for each year. The form was officially chopped by the employer. So I filled out the form, attached the letter from my employer, and also wrote a letter stating that I had been working in China and therefore my income did not meet the requirements needed for sponsorship. We also had to use a joint sponsor. He filled in the forms as well and these were included in our petition from the beginning. Everything passed muster with no problem. I think as long as you fill out the form, show some proof of what your Chinese income was, and have a co-sponsor who earns enough money, there should be no trouble. Best of luck.

Make sure you file taxes with the IRS even if they are backfiled. The consulate wants to see those 1040's. Then the easiest thing to do is just copy the signature page, and the money page of your contract with the name of the school on it. I did that and it worked fine. If you are asking your grandfather to do this and he says yes he should have enough stashed away by himself to meett he demand anyway. Just remember you are the sponsor and he is the cosponsor. Even if you have no money to your name you have to show the proper paperwork saying you are broke. I have heard many people don't even get a chance to show these papers at the interview, however when we arrived in San Francisco the immigration guy at the airport did seem to look at every page we had with us.

just had interview on 9/2/03.  We had affidavit of support done AND also had the tax forms.  They did not ask to see them.  Seemed common, at least that day!  The only thing they wanted was the forms in P4 and my Passport.

This was also our experience in August 2002. Never looked at the forms during the interview. Of course, they may have pre-screened them beforehand. I know they review the financial forms sent in with the original petition.