What happens at Ohare?

ALL lines are special, especially the ones behind the pillars that most people don't notice. You will most likely be allowed to stay in line with your wife.

Use discretion about which one to get into.

The flight from Beijing arrives at a convenient time when the terminal is not real crowded. You should be able to get through fairly quickly.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Went through there several times, last time with my wife with her K-1.

To the left is Returning residents, and Citizens, to the left RIGHT is Immigrants and Visitors, you can accompany your SO through the immigrants line, if an officer tries to direct you to the citizen's line just explain that you are accompanying an immigrant, and they will let you be, also if the resident/citizen line clears out, the officer in the line will direct immigrants and visitors to use the other lines.

If returning from China with a Green-Card then go directly to Citizens/Residents line.

The POE officer will ask a few questions and check the contents of the brown envelope.

After clearing Immigrations, you will then collect your checked baggage, and then proceed on through Customs were they will most likely direct you to a baggage x-ray scanner, or send you around the scanner.

If flying United, domestically, you can re-check your bags before leaving the international arrival concourse.

A few notes:

If K-Visa you will get the I-94 card to fill out on the flight into Chicago, there is instructions on filling it out in the in flight magazine.

If CR-1 visa you do not need to fill out the I-94 card.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

dnoblett, You are too good! As I recall, I think a hard right after you come down through the walkway for Visitors and Immigrants[?] I swear you have a cheat sheet or am very organized :whistling:

Yep,Dan just mis-spoke. (a rarity :cheering:) Citizens etc. to the left,Immigrants etc. to the right.

Our experience was short and sweet. We went ahead and went through separate lines. Christine was asked a few questions and that was that. No separate room or anything. Very simple.

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

dnoblett, You are too good! As I recall, I think a hard right after you come down through the walkway for Visitors and Immigrants[?] I swear you have a cheat sheet or am very organized :lol:

Yep,Dan just mis-spoke. (a rarity ;)) Citizens etc. to the left,Immigrants etc. to the right.

Our experience was short and sweet. We went ahead and went through separate lines. Christine was asked a few questions and that was that. No separate room or anything. Very simple.

Corrected. ;) Yep to the RIGHT is Immigrants and Visitors.

Hey David,

I just came through O'Hare in Chicago last Monday as I did last February when I returned from Hong Kong. Depending on which gate your flight stops at you'll enter the customs area from the left or the right.

Once you enter the customs area, if your standing with your back to the wall facing the customs area the visitor/immigrant line is on the left and the US citizen line is on the right. This seems to be opposite of what the others have described here but it was like this last Monday as well as last February when I came through ORD so maybe it has changed since others have been through there.

Brian also used ORD as their POE several months ago and I asked him about the procedure they used. He told me that the Customs officers told him he could go through the Immigrant line with his fianc¨¦e who had a K1 visa. When I came through on Monday I asked the Customs officer if I could bring my fianc¨¦e with a K1 visa through the US citizens line with me when we returned in a few months and he said "no problem, it will be fine" so apparently you can use either line, just let them know that you're accompanying your K1 visa fianc¨¦e.

Just a note, there is another customs area called area B just to the right of the main customs area that I have seen them direct US citizens to when the lines in the main area get a little crowded. It also exits into the baggage claim area. The whole procedure is pretty simple and easy to follow.

Good luck to you,

Bob