If you use Skype...

Not a surprise, why do you think Skype works so well through the Great Firewall of China?

Sounds like the Chinese version of the NSA. :rolleyes:

Honestly, nothing to worry about if you are not talking about overthrowing the government or something.

I think we all knew this to a point :rolleyes: , personaly I will keep using it :cheering: as long as it helps with my Lao Po :), and we don't talk about any government stuff because we really don't care about them, we are to busy talking about us and what we want, not what they want or do unless it it won't let us do as we wish with our relationship,and if something is mentioned about governments then I just :roller: and change the subject until we talk on the phone.

So I think if you watch what you say then you will not have a problem, (IMHO).

Apparently this only happens when one of the users is using Tom-Skype software. Nowhere in the article do they state that there is a vulnerability when both ends are using Skype software.

Jennifer Caukin, an eBay spokeswoman, said, "The security and privacy of our users is very important to Skype." But the company spoke to the accessibility of the messages, not their monitoring. "The security breach does not affect Skype's core technology or functionality," she said. "It exists within an administrative layer on Tom Online servers. We have expressed our concern to Tom Online about the security issue and they have informed us that a fix to the problem will be completed within 24 hours." EBay had no comment on the monitoring.

Apparently this only happens when one of the users is using Tom-Skype software. Nowhere in the article do they state that there is a vulnerability when both ends are using Skype software.

Jennifer Caukin, an eBay spokeswoman, said, "The security and privacy of our users is very important to Skype." But the company spoke to the accessibility of the messages, not their monitoring. "The security breach does not affect Skype's core technology or functionality," she said. "It exists within an administrative layer on Tom Online servers. We have expressed our concern to Tom Online about the security issue and they have informed us that a fix to the problem will be completed within 24 hours." EBay had no comment on the monitoring.

It does state if you are speaking with someone using Tom Skype (just the name given for the Chinese version) then what you say will be recorded. So yes, if you are simply chatting to USC or other countries you should be fine, but talking with your honey in China using Skype, what you say is being recorded. Unless she is using the U.S. version also? I haven't tried that, but maybe that wont even fix it, because the server you connect to probably routs the same way, thus you are still getting monitored.

Edited by carl.hops (see edit history)

• 6 months later...

I hate to burst your bubble, but if you think that your conversations within the USA, to your neighbor, or mother, etc isn't being monitored, your delusional. All of your cell phone calls in the USA are monitored, and they have a gps position of where you are also!!!

What country do you think developed all of the software and hardware necessary to do all the spying????? it wasn't china that developed it!!!!

Edited by AstronomerDave (see edit history)

I hate to burst your bubble, but if you think that your conversations within the USA, to your neighbor, or mother, etc isn't being monitored, your delusional. All of your cell phone calls in the USA are monitored, and they have a gps position of where you are also!!!

What country do you think developed all of the software and hardware necessary to do all the spying????? it wasn't china that developed it!!!!

Of all the lousy government spending, the one bright spot is NASA. More value returned per dollar than any other.

Whatever goes on in China is monitored. Doesn't matter whether you are using Skype, Yahoo IM, cell phone, or talking to yourself and walking your dog, sitting in a restaurant talking with your mother in law....somebody, somewhere is listening...key words are picked up on and then they(whoever "they" is) are paying attention...