I-751 letter almost not accepted

My family went on a cruise. We filled out the immigration questionaire online for the cruise line. I thought it would be smooth sailing. When we arrived to check in we had the following for my wife and daughter. My wife had her passport stamped with the I-751 since she never received the one-year extension letter. My daughter received two different one year extension letters. My wife had no problem. My daughter who is a child was almost not allowed to depart by the cruise line. They claimed the one-year extension letter extended her stay into the USA one year from her date of arrival. This of course makes no sense since my daughter had a recently expired green card with an extension letter only one month old at the time of departure. I explained this to them. They went from one employee to another stating that if they are not sure they can be fined. I explained the letter is clear that it extends the permanent resident card for an additional one year. After approximately two hours they apologized (nothing else) and allowed us to board. I guess if I was going to do this again, I would make sure all passports are stamped with the extension. Just my 2 cents.

Some of the USCIS offices flatly refuse to give a stamp in the passport and tell you to carry the letter. I personally asked if they would produce one in Chinese as there was no guarantee that the person allowing my wife board the airplane in China would understand English.

After careful consideration of about 2 seconds their response was to take the letter. :P