Paucity of emails--what to do?

Hey guys,

I'm a little worried about providing enough evidence to prove daily contact between me and my fiancee. Since she and I basically live together, we send very few emails, and almost never talk about serious, family-related issues (why would we? it makes more sense to do that in person...). We do have a pretty good collection of photos over the past two years (all of which, of course, are in China), but that's about it--it's not like when we first met we were consciously focused on documenting our relationship in order to prove that it was "bona fide."

So I'm wondering what we can do to help persuade the folks at the consulate. Is it worthwhile to include emails from friends and family in which we discuss my girlfriend? Or a signed letter from my mother saying she met me and my girlfriend and vouches for our relationship?

EDIT--For clarification, we are applying for the K-1 visa. We've been pretty much living together for two years.

Edited by mokai (see edit history)

Hey guys,

I'm a little worried about providing enough evidence to prove daily contact between me and my fiancee. Since she and I basically live together, we send very few emails, and almost never talk about serious, family-related issues (why would we? it makes more sense to do that in person...). We do have a pretty good collection of photos over the past two years (all of which, of course, are in China), but that's about it--it's not like when we first met we were consciously focused on documenting our relationship in order to prove that it was "bona fide."

So I'm wondering what we can do to help persuade the folks at the consulate. Is it worthwhile to include emails from friends and family in which we discuss my girlfriend? Or a signed letter from my mother saying she met me and my girlfriend and vouches for our relationship?

EDIT--For clarification, we are applying for the K-1 visa. We've been pretty much living together for two years.

If you two live together in China, there isn't any need to worry so much, as you will be able to fill a DCF Direct Consulate Filing, which is often a much easier path to get the visa.

Don't you need to prove domicile to do DCF? I haven't filed taxes for two years, need a co-sponsor for the I-134, and my only proof for domicile would be a recently opened bank account in my home town and maybe some mailings sent to my dad's house back home.

I remember looking through the information before and the reason I decided on doing the K-1 visa was because it seemed the easiest.

Also, I'll be filing for the K-1 through Vermont, which I've read is the fastest service center. How much faster would a DCF be?

Edited by mokai (see edit history)

Don't you need to prove domicile to do DCF? I haven't filed taxes for two years, need a co-sponsor for the I-134, and my only proof for domicile would be a recently opened bank account in my home town and maybe some mailings sent to my dad's house back home.

I remember looking through the information before and the reason I decided on doing the K-1 visa was because it seemed the easiest.

Also, I'll be filing for the K-1 through Vermont, which I've read is the fastest service center. How much faster would a DCF be?

Domicile can be an issue but income requirements would still be same. DCF is usually about 6 - 8 months. K=1 can be anywhere from 8 at the fast end to 13 at the slow end and usually about 11 months

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

Hey everyone

Thanks for the replies. I think I will still go for the K-1, largely because I think it seems easier for me and my fiancee to get (and partially because we're really not ready to marry for a little while more). I really think the domicile may be very difficult to prove, and I don't really want to risk it. Since I will being back to the US for graduate school in a little less than a year, if my fiancee's visa is denied we're kind of screwed.

Anyway, I'm slightly less worried about the emails now. There are about 20-30 that are quite good, and I think combined with all the other evidence I have they should be sufficient. Also, from the day we send out the I-129F, we'll start communicating much more by email so we have even more evidence for the interview.

It's strange though. Looking at all the documents other people have, it seems almost harder to prove day to day communications when you're actually living together.

If you two live together in China, there isn't any need to worry so much, as you will be able to fill a DCF Direct Consulate Filing, which is often a much easier path to get the visa.

NOTE OP is discussing K-1 visa (I-129F), this cannot be filed DCF, US citizen can only file I-130 for a spouse to the consulate.

The OP needs to file the I-129F to the USCIS service center having jurisdiction over their US Domicile address.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Note: is you are living in China, marry and file I-130 DCF, this is MUCH faster than K-1.

Also maintain US Domicile no mater what.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)