OT,Chinese in OR

Guest R2D2

Did you know that the Chinese in Portland OR donated 3 airplanes to China in 1945 for China's fight against the Japanese. The airplanes were named "Of The People," "For The People," and "By The People".

Bing was a foreman for a farmer in OR and was so highly regarded by his employer that he named a new fruit tree after him, the Bing cherry tree. :rolleyes: :lol:

I was understood the Bing cherry was named after the chinese farmer because he developed it.

Sweet cherry production was established in Oregon about the same time that the sour cherry was flourishing in Michigan - the Lambert variety was developed on Henderson Lewelling's farm where farmer Lewelling brought root stock of the bing variety from Iowa to Oregon. The bing is the most popular cherry in the US, and was named after a Chinese worker who was part of Lewelling's farm crew (1870's and 1880's). In 1876 Mr. Lewelling exhibited his bing cherries - they were so large that they were mistaken for crabapples!! - and sold for 3 pennies per cherry. In 1928, Royal Anne cherries were sold to Salem canning companies for 5 to 7 cents per pound, and today Bings, Lamberts, Royal Annes and Rainiers are the major varieties of cherries grown here.

I grew up in oregon in the northern willamette valley on a cherry farm near bald peak, and did not know the story behind the Bing cherry! Personally, royal annes and lamberts are my favorite, but there is no getting around the popularity of bings....sadly for me texas is a long distance from the closest cherry orchard. :D :D :D :) :rolleyes: :(