Visitor Visa for Parents approved

It is a bit unbelievable to me still, but Kathy's parents were granted visitor visas to come to the US for our wedding. Their interview was in Shanghai last week and they were both approved. The interview was short and sweet. They first handed the VO the letter from us (addressed to VO inviting her parents here and explaining the purpose of the trip). The VO then asked for Kathy's Visa/passport/I94 which they handed over, and then for pictures. They handed the VO a book of pictures of us, her parents and her aunts and uncles taken on my previous trips to China. The VO pointed at the 'out of place' white guy and asked if I am their son in law, to which they both replied yes. Surprisingly, no other documents were requested to show their ties to China, though they had plenty in hand. We prepared a lot more documents, but none of them were requested.

They received the visa in hand earlier this week. They were both granted 1 year multiple entry visas. <_< That's better than what I typically get when I apply for a China visa.

I post this to show it is very possible for your parents/parents in law to come here to visit. We used the visitors visa sticky at the top of this forum to help us in preparing, as well as some common sense. All of our forms show that the purpose of their trip is to be here for their daughters wedding. We presented everything truthfully and clearly as possible. When we applied, I felt there was a very small chance it would actually be approved, but of course you never know until you apply.

As for why we were so lucky to be approved, I think it partly has to with the reason for the visit making sense. Certainly, any parent would want to attend their own daughters wedding, and our used K-1 is excellent evidence that we'll marry and the reason is true. Also, some of the pictures we included showed us with the all the aunts and uncles together in China (at least 20 people in the photo). Certainly, a large, close, strong family is an excellent tie to China for them. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations! How long did it take for the visitor visa process for Kathy's parents?

Thanks, Zachary and Lychee! It was about 2 months for the B1/B2 visa process. Because it is Shanghai Consulate, it is much busier than other ones in China. Soon as we found out our K1 interview date, we started to make the appointment for parents' visa. We applied for the interview date in late june, and we got the date on August 21st. However, it is still GREAT that the waiting is shorter than other kinds of visas, such as K1, K3...

Kathy & Brian