China gymnastics gets too much bad rap!

Ok, so the Olympics has really been a hit so far. I've been watching the olympics and it just blows my mind how China keeps winning gold after gold after gold. Yesterday I stayed up late to finish watching the women's gymnastics competition between USA and China. My wife looked at me with a crazy stare wondering why I was rooting for China.

What ticked me off the most is how Bela Kaola errhumm Karole was bitching at how the Chinese girls were too young and couldn't understand why anyone believed the Chinese girls were not old enough to compete. I was just thinking what a big sore loser the guy is. Jeez , USA has won so many gold medals, why not let another country win.

To top the night off, there were news reporters trying to pitch several questions to the Chinese girls gymnists trying to shake the girls and find out whether they were lying about their age. What a bunch of monsters, the news media are a bunch of low life bums. They sure felt stupid after the girls answered the questions confidently and didn't shake and kept their pose.

So , to everyone out there listening, Hurray for China and congratulations to these talented and oustanding performing gymnists. I was rooting every minute for these girls!

Oh, and Phelps, I'm sure he's a good swimmer. But jeez, they kept switching to phelps throughout the event when the Chinese girls gymnists were up. Jeez, that really made me sick. I was so sick of watching that guy win. Good for him!! Can we move on and watch other sports or different events without Phelps! I hope the swimming events ends soon so we can move on! Looks like USA has at least one sport they can actually own which is Mens sports.

What does everyone else think? Criticism anyone ? :lol:

Edited by spacebar (see edit history)
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phelps is on TV again... jeez! :lol:

Guest WenDylan

Phelps is on TV again... jeez! :angry:

I was going to reply to your post, but I have no criticism... you said it well. Haha, I enjoyed his first two races, but then I watched it online, along with basketball, and table tennis, soccer, and so many others here. Not so biased when I have the controls... ;)

Guest ShaQuaNew

I'm curious as to what's being televised in the US for the Olympics? Seeing as how NBC has the exclusive contract, guess you only see what they deem interesting to most.

Has US TV televised the nearly 30-events in which China won medals? Most of the Gold? Like weightlifting, judo, boxing, swimming, shooting, archery, fencing, and the like?

I'm fortunate in that we not only have sattellite, but China TV. China CCTV has been covering the entire Olympics wall-to-wall; that includes events in which China is NOT participating.

:) I'm in a hostile mood tonight lol SO i decidedly to finally let loose some fury on and it might as well be NBC and Phelps.

I really hope the Wushu/ Kung Fu tournament is televised or at least broadcasted over the web. That's totally gonna kick ass!

I'm curious as to what's being televised in the US for the Olympics? Seeing as how NBC has the exclusive contract, guess you only see what they deem interesting to most.

Has US TV televised the nearly 30-events in which China won medals? Most of the Gold? Like weightlifting, judo, boxing, swimming, shooting, archery, fencing, and the like?

I'm fortunate in that we not only have sattellite, but China TV. China CCTV has been covering the entire Olympics wall-to-wall; that includes events in which China is NOT participating.

Guest WenDylan

:) I'm in a hostile mood tonight lol SO i decidedly to finally let loose some fury on and it might as well be NBC and Phelps.

I really hope the Wushu/ Kung Fu tournament is televised or at least broadcasted over the web. That's totally gonna kick ass!

No they don't cover everything, but you can view almost anything online. So I stopped watching it on TV and just have it on the nbcolympics.com channel... :lol:

I'm fortunate in that we not only have satellite, but China TV. China CCTV has been covering the entire Olympics wall-to-wall; that includes events in which China is NOT participating.

NBC is broadcasting in their usual (delayed) style - you get a summary or athlete interview preceding an event, followed by a smooth transition to the start. When it's over, they focus on the winners, then transition to the medal ceremony. When it's delayed by 12 hours, they have plenty of time to get everything to fit together conveniently, and filter out anything else going on.

They are mainly showing the swimming and gymnastics, volleyball, and cycling. The other events are relegated to one of the other channels, which don't have as much variety. They showed the China vs. US basketball.

NBC has CNBC, Universal, and MSNBC all showing events. On Dish, we have a Mandarin channel for about 3 or 4 hours a day, a basketball channel, a soccer channel, a Team USA, and Athlete Bio's channels. Yes, with a heavy focus on the US.

I'm sure if you went over the schedule and planned ahead of time, you could see about anything you wanted, but we're just sticking with the NBC (channel 2) coverage. They have covered China pretty well in the swimming, diving, and gymnastics.

The CCTV coverage is filtered out.

High def coverage is good, but with VERY visible flaws - pixelation due to motion and blurring from a slow shutter speed (I've even seen swimmer's arms all but disappear).

Guest ShaQuaNew

I'm fortunate in that we not only have satellite, but China TV. China CCTV has been covering the entire Olympics wall-to-wall; that includes events in which China is NOT participating.

NBC is broadcasting in their usual (delayed) style - you get a summary or athlete interview preceding an event, followed by a smooth transition to the start. When it's over, they focus on the winners, then transition to the medal ceremony. When it's delayed by 12 hours, they have plenty of time to get everything to fit together conveniently, and filter out anything else going on.

They are mainly showing the swimming and gymnastics, volleyball, and cycling. The other events are relegated to one of the other channels, which don't have as much variety. They showed the China vs. US basketball.

NBC has CNBC, Universal, and MSNBC all showing events. On Dish, we have a Mandarin channel for about 3 or 4 hours a day, a basketball channel, a soccer channel, a Team USA, and Athlete Bio's channels. Yes, with a heavy focus on the US.

I'm sure if you went over the schedule and planned ahead of time, you could see about anything you wanted, but we're just sticking with the NBC (channel 2) coverage. They have covered China pretty well in the swimming, diving, and gymnastics.

High def coverage is good, but with VERY visible flaws - pixelation due to motion and blurring from a slow shutter speed (I've even seen swimmer's arms all but disappear).

Thanks Randy. It pretty much explains how many views get tainted about a team, individual or event. Regarding Michael Phelps, it seems much of the US media expects the whole world to idolize, enamor, and obsess on him. Truly he is an uncanny swimmer with a total accumulation of medals that may never be broken. Still, he is but one person out of hundreds and the Olympics is NOT all about him! He is the shining star right now in the US and the only one at the moment that is keeping up the gold medal count for the US, which remains way back from China.

Here's another example of US whiny media....

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/08/13/sports/14phelps.php

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Michael Phelps The Greatest Olympian Of All Time.

The man is good. Heck, the man is great! There's not much to dispute his greatness and I truly applaud his accomplishments. But, call me old and, maybe, jaded.

I've read some blogs that got me to thinking about what is the "greatest"... (I suppose Ali might try to argue that if he could).

Anyway, does anyone remember Bud Greenspan's footage of Olympic heros past? ...I don't know much, but what seems to inspire me are those who may not 'win' a medal but finish under circumstances and conditions that show what the real human spirit embodies.

(I wish I could find a video) What come to mind is that marathoner who finished hours after everyone crossed the finish line, but continued to limp on, into the wee hours of the night just to say he finished...

Am I the only one who remembers the 'greatness' of the spirit that Olympian embodied?

(Chinese girls kick ass!!) :bangin:

Guest ShaQuaNew

Here's a few examples that show the BS the American media is trying to force-feed. They clearly show several stories that are actively covering Michael Phelps. Course, what's happening in Beijing he represents only a snippet...

http://www.southcn.com/sports/star4/phelps/

http://sports.2008.sina.com.cn/star/michae...lps/index.shtml

http://data.2008.163.com/athlete/home/0005000E0HdI.html

http://phelps.group.titan24.com/index.php/group/index

http://index.sports.sohu.com/person/plist.php?userid=1463

http://www.eeo.com.cn/today_media/sjg/2008/08/13/110276.html

http://2008.qq.com/athlete/5111/index.shtml

http://news.xinhuanet.com/olympics/2008-08...ent_8956980.htm

http://2008.hexun.com/2008-08-13/108101454.html

There are more important things going on.....Like the fact that Yang Wei of China just won GOLD again in the Men's all around Gymnastics! Oh he's cocky; and he has a right to be....

:bangin:

Guest ShaQuaNew

:bangin: I'm in a hostile mood tonight lol SO i decidedly to finally let loose some fury on and it might as well be NBC and Phelps.

No they don't cover everything, but you can view almost anything online. So I stopped watching it on TV and just have it on the nbcolympics.com channel... :redmad:

Be sure to check out what Yang Wei did for the mens all-around gymnastics. Nothing short of awesome! A proud and confident young man. Let's see what sour grapes get spread about him now...

:lol: I'm in a hostile mood tonight lol SO i decidedly to finally let loose some fury on and it might as well be NBC and Phelps.

No they don't cover everything, but you can view almost anything online. So I stopped watching it on TV and just have it on the nbcolympics.com channel... B)

Be sure to check out what Yang Wei did for the mens all-around gymnastics. Nothing short of awesome! A proud and confident young man. Let's see what sour grapes get spread about him now...

Let's get started early, are we really sure he wasn't born a girl? :o

There are some events we get to watch live if the powers that be at NBC allow it.

Thanks Randy. It pretty much explains how many views get tainted about a team, individual or event. Regarding Michael Phelps, it seems much of the US media expects the whole world to idolize, enamor, and obsess on him. Truly he is an uncanny swimmer with a total accumulation of medals that may never be broken. Still, he is but one person out of hundreds and the Olympics is NOT all about him! He is the shining star right now in the US and the only one at the moment that is keeping up the gold medal count for the US, which remains way back from China.

The dish channel 655 is on here for 6 hours, 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM so we are getting somewhat decent coverage of China's best events... :o After that on NBC fugetabouit... :lol:

Michael Phelps The Greatest Olympian Of All Time.

The man is good. Heck, the man is great! There's not much to dispute his greatness and I truly applaud his accomplishments. But, call me old and, maybe, jaded.

I've read some blogs that got me to thinking about what is the "greatest"... (I suppose Ali might try to argue that if he could).

Anyway, does anyone remember Bud Greenspan's footage of Olympic heros past? ...I don't know much, but what seems to inspire me are those who may not 'win' a medal but finish under circumstances and conditions that show what the real human spirit embodies.

(I wish I could find a video) What come to mind is that marathoner who finished hours after everyone crossed the finish line, but continued to limp on, into the wee hours of the night just to say he finished...

Am I the only one who remembers the 'greatness' of the spirit that Olympian embodied?

(Chinese girls kick ass!!) :unsure:

Pyambu Tuul from Mongolia, Barcelona 1992

Then there's the age issue on the Chinese women's gymnastics team. I am quite sure that they are under age ... why?

1. Sources like this are hard to refute.

2. Countries do this ... I have personal knowledge. I had an ongoing business relationship with a moderately high ranking royal in an unnamed country. This guy's hobby was to run the youth soccer program and specifically the select national teams that competed internationally. He was always fielding boys 1, 2, or even 3 years older than the maximum age for a particular bracket. The boys were issued passports with false birth dates by that country's official passport agency. In my opinion, it is very likely that China has issued false passports for their child gymnasts.