Is Green Card really that important?

Since my wife received her EAD Card,she has been working LEGALLY and has been successful at earning money and being independent.

She has been in America less than one year.

Now we are waiting for her Green Card.

I have been telling her that:

*Having the EAD Card is the most important,and working regularly is the best thing to do to work towards citizenship.

*She is able to earn money,save money and send money to her family in China.

*She is free to return to China ANYTIME,as long as she first OBTAINS THE PROPER RE-ENTRY DOCUMENTS so she can return to America.

(And because she has the EAD Card,she is working and has MONEY and can afford to return to China for an extended 6 month visit)

*She wants her son to be able to come to America,and its not necessary for her to have a Green Card to achieve that.

Am I wrong?

I dont see ANY REASON to worry about getting the "Green Card".

The EAD Card is enough,right?

Is there any reason to want the Green Card to arrive sooner rather than later?

The timing of the green card is not necessary for her son to come to the US. However getting AP requires that the Green Card is being processed.

Also the clock does not begin on her becoming a USC until the first Green Card is issued.

If you didn't file for AP as part of your AOS package you might want to do this now because it takes a bit of time to receive it.

Since my wife received her EAD Card,she has been working LEGALLY and has been successful at earning money and being independent.

She has been in America less than one year.

Now we are waiting for her Green Card.

I have been telling her that:

*Having the EAD Card is the most important,and working regularly is the best thing to do to work towards citizenship.

*She is able to earn money,save money and send money to her family in China.

*She is free to return to China ANYTIME,as long as she first OBTAINS THE PROPER RE-ENTRY DOCUMENTS so she can return to America.

(And because she has the EAD Card,she is working and has MONEY and can afford to return to China for an extended 6 month visit)

*She wants her son to be able to come to America,and its not necessary for her to have a Green Card to achieve that.

Am I wrong?

I dont see ANY REASON to worry about getting the "Green Card".

The EAD Card is enough,right?

Is there any reason to want the Green Card to arrive sooner rather than later?

Well, EXACTLY! You're right! Join the club! Set a spell!

We're just starting to worry now (after 2 1/2 years)

If her son was under 18 when you married, you can file the I-130 for him. Or he can come as a K-2 follow-to-join if he uses the visa within one year of her entry date.

In my view, the EAD card makes her a real person - able to conduct whatever sort of business she needs to in this country.

The EAD has expiration date? Check it out? Take a look at it ?

The GreenCard is useful to re-enter the USA. She can leave without it, She can get INTO China without it, She can LEAVE China without it.

Didn't you receive notice of 'Green Card Production' already? Usually, the card arrives 30 days after this notice.

The EAD has expiration date? Check it out? Take a look at it ?

The GreenCard is useful to re-enter the USA. She can leave without it, She can get INTO China without it, She can LEAVE China without it.

Didn't you receive notice of 'Green Card Production' already? Usually, the card arrives 30 days after this notice.

If it doesn't come, it doesn't - but it will. It's no disaster. There's no VO smack dab in the middle of the marriage any more.

Am I wrong?

How old is her son?

He is 8 years old.

He could have come here the same time she did but for:

*The Father has custody.

*Sponsorship.

Luckily,the boy has a nice home and very good family environment in China.

No problem then as Randy stated.

He is your son in-law. You can file a I-130 once the father grants permission. There is no wait. As the son-in-law to a USC he goes to the front of the line and a visa is imediately made available. It is not subject to any waiting period.

He is your son in-law. You can file a I-130 once the father grants permission. There is no wait. As the son-in-law to a USC he goes to the front of the line and a visa is imediately made available. It is not subject to any waiting period.

. . . except for the normal several months period that we all wait through. It'll be processed by the USCIS and NVC before going on to GUZ.

. . . except for the normal several months period that we all wait through. It'll be processed by the USCIS and NVC before going on to GUZ.

The EAD card is one thing , but the most important is the Green card, it allows her to work ,with out a EAD card, and she can come and go as she please, (so this is my way of thinking) each to there own

Guest Rob & Jin

The EAD card is one thing , but the most important is the Green card, it allows her to work ,with out a EAD card, and she can come and go as she please, (so this is my way of thinking) each to there own

Nicely summed up :whistling:

LPR (GC) then Citizenship are the real goals.

EAD is just that, if you don't eventually get LPR(GC) you are not just "out of status" but illegal. K-1 + EAD is not a way around getting legal permanent residence. (GC)

She will need AP to re-enter USA before GC plus a stay of of 6 months out of the county before or even with Green card may cause re-enrty problems.

She cannont file to bring family here before getting GC ,at the very least (you can however), but if you dont get GC she may be deported at same time as child is coming this way(worse case senario).

So to answer your question - yes GC is important

Edited by Rob & Jin (see edit history)

"Proof Of Support" is necessary.

Bringing the boy over here would require "Sponsorship".

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)

"Proof Of Support" is necessary.

Bringing the boy over here would require "Sponsorship".

An affidavit of support is required for any visa.

Currently you are eligible to use the K-2 follow to join process, but that ends 1 year after your wife's visa was issued. This is a very simple process and the wait time is around 2-3 months from initiating the request in GZ. Then you file for AOS once the child arrives.

After that time you can apply using an I-130 as the child of a USC due to his age at the time of your marriage. This takes longer as the I-130 must be processed and the fees and affidavit of support is required before the case is sent to GZ. The advantage is no AOS required, I believe the fees are less going this route. This path is open for a number of years as I believe you said he is 8 years old.

Son-in-law or stepson?