One month and still no SSN

June and I arrived in the States July 8th and we decided to go to our local SS Admin office on the 9th and apply for her number since we had some travel for the next week. Well, we have been waiting a month and many other couples we know already have their SO's SSNs. So, we went to the SS Administration office today and they tell us that our application is held up at USCIS. So, we call the USCIS and the young guy I talked to there said we would have to get married first and file AOS before June can apply for a SSN. We have our license but our ceremony is not scheduled until Sept 6th.

I was under the impression the SSN was the first thing we should do when she arrives and it seems nobody at SS Administration or USCIS really understands what is going on. Now that makes three of us.

We're going to go ahead and get married and file again with her new name and see what happens. Anyone have any advice or wisdom on this?

Rog

The SSA policy regarding K-1's

http://www.kamya.com/ssn/em00154.pdf

Take a copy of this to another office.

Someone was told recently that once they were married, they were no longer K-1, and must get their status changed to K-3 and needed an I-130 - of course, not true.

But your hang-up may be the USCIS - a) you may have applied too soon (wait at least 10 days after she arrives) or b ) they may give you the run-around again.

Bottom line - you have about 75 days after she arrives (and either before or after marriage) to apply for the SS.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Sorry to hear about the problem with getting your SSN. I learned from CFL that it takes 10 days for them to get her arrival entered into the computer system. I can not imagine what could be wrong at the USCIS. All they needed from us at the SSA office was the I-94, her passport, and her birth certificate. You should try a different SSA office. It is definitely not true that you have to get married first.

This is a good place to start to learn about the AOS process.

http://candleforlove.com/FAQ/CFL_FAQ_AOS_Final1.htm

We will also start concerning ourselves about this soon.

We entered the US on July 5th

Got married on July 10th

Applied for Jianli's SSN July 16

Got her number the next day

Got her SS card in the mail around July 23rd

Applied for her new SS card with her new last name on July 28th

Got her new card on July 31st