Introduction to Montana predators

Guest WenDylan

UPDATE

This morning at 03:00 to my gal shaking me saying, "Husband! Husband! Ducka"

I jump out of bed stark raving naked and step outside to find a cougar circling the duck pen that we moved up to the house last night. It was 4-5 feet from the nose to the rump...a good sized, juvenile cat.

Xiaoyuan gets me a robe but comes out with her meat cleaver in hand!!! :)

I don't like killing God's woodland creatures unnecessarily - especially when they are out of season - so I tried to scare of the cat. It walked away, but came back when I headed back to the cabin where my Sweetie remained on the deck.

I turn around and see the cat coming back, so I head after it in the brush because my headlight is reflecting in its eyes. I get to about 50 feet away from it and tried to shoo it away again, but it snarled at me - BANG!

So I walk the perimeter of the property to see if I can find the cat laying down. I did not want to head into the thick brush with a wounded lion. The walk gave the cat 10 minutes to bleed out and go into full shock. When I got back to the front of the cabin, Xiaoyuan's still guarding the front door with the meat cleaver. :P

Now I head into the woods to find the cat. The 00-buck knocked the cat off of a 20 foot ledge down into an old irrigation ditch that runs through our property. The lion is raising its head up to look at me but cannot hold that position so the head is moving up and down, but in a controlled way. I couldn't let the poor critter suffer ... so BANG!!! Lights out.

I turned around to find Xiaoyuan had followed me into the woods with her meat cleaver. I don't know if she wanted to protect her lao gong or to cut up the meat! :)

Sounds like it was orange juice, eggs and cat sausage for breakfast.

Griz, I would enjoy living in your environment very much. For the life of me, though, I cannot imagine that I would try to bring a Chinese woman into that environment and expect her to be happy. My hat is off to you. I hope you can pull it off. :huh:

UPDATE

This morning at 03:00 to my gal shaking me saying, "Husband! Husband! Ducka"

I jump out of bed stark raving naked and step outside to find a cougar circling the duck pen that we moved up to the house last night. It was 4-5 feet from the nose to the rump...a good sized, juvenile cat.

Xiaoyuan gets me a robe but comes out with her meat cleaver in hand!!! :)

I don't like killing God's woodland creatures unnecessarily - especially when they are out of season - so I tried to scare of the cat. It walked away, but came back when I headed back to the cabin where my Sweetie remained on the deck.

I turn around and see the cat coming back, so I head after it in the brush because my headlight is reflecting in its eyes. I get to about 50 feet away from it and tried to shoo it away again, but it snarled at me - BANG!

So I walk the perimeter of the property to see if I can find the cat laying down. I did not want to head into the thick brush with a wounded lion. The walk gave the cat 10 minutes to bleed out and go into full shock. When I got back to the front of the cabin, Xiaoyuan's still guarding the front door with the meat cleaver. :P

Now I head into the woods to find the cat. The 00-buck knocked the cat off of a 20 foot ledge down into an old irrigation ditch that runs through our property. The lion is raising its head up to look at me but cannot hold that position so the head is moving up and down, but in a controlled way. I couldn't let the poor critter suffer ... so BANG!!! Lights out.

I turned around to find Xiaoyuan had followed me into the woods with her meat cleaver. I don't know if she wanted to protect her lao gong or to cut up the meat! :huh:

My goodness griz,

If you're going to raise bait for all the predators in the area it sounds like you're going to need a much stronger pen or an electric fence as a deterrent ... otherwise you're going to end up killing all the local wildlife over a couple of ducks! ... Maybe you could put the pen up on the roof of your house with a draw bridge you can pull up and out of reach :P

duck, duck, duck, wolf! :D

Enjoy your evening,

Bob