Canada Layover/Transit visa

On July 27th, me and Kathy tried to come to the US together. Unfortunately, they would not let Kathy fly and I had to come home alone, again. ;) She didn't have the required Canadian transit visa.

I have flow from China to the US with a stop in Canada before and of course I didn't have any problems. Once you dissembark the plane in Canada, you proceed directly to US customs/immigration. I thought because we never go through Canada customs/immigation and we are in 'international space', that she would not need any kind of visa. However, Canada still requires the transit visa. I wouldn't have guessed you'd need a visa for a country in which you do not pass through customs/immigation for. I certainly never get a canada stamp in my passport when I make this layover.

In any case, I'm done ranting. I just wanted to warn others so they don't make the same mistake I did. On the positive, other arrangements have been made and she'll be here soon.

Sorry to hear that, Brian and Kathy... we had thought about going through Vancouver, but ended up with Chicago or we would have probably made the same error.

Glad all is working out though and you can get on with the next phase (the best part) of your journey!

David

Wow for as many times as I have flew international, I have never been asked for a transit visa. That was something I thought went out of style in like the 60's when ships stopped being the normal mode of international travel.

Sorry to hear this and hope you get together soon.

Sorry to hear that but the Canadian transit visa problem has been addressed here many times.

We have to realize that our Chinese spouses and stepchildren have a very different passport with many more restrictions on international travel.

Examples:

- I brought Lao Po with me on a 30 day business trip to the UAE. Americans require no visa. For her it took a visa application and a sponsor letter from a UAE company ... not to mention a couple of weeks processing and a fee of $100 or so (can't remember)

- Daughter will transit Japan as she comes back from her summer in China. She needs to stay overnight at a hotel outside Narita as Narita closes at night. She must get a transit visa; Americans do not need one.

I'm hearing about a burst water pipe at the airport, things broken from shelves, etc. They said it was close to the surface, which helped to amplify the movement a little. Glad everyone's okay.

Oops. ;)

Oops - wrong topic :wub: the earthquake did it! :)

Guest WenDylan

I'm hearing about a burst water pipe at the airport, things broken from shelves, etc. They said it was close to the surface, which helped to amplify the movement a little. Glad everyone's okay.

Oops. ;)

Oops - wrong topic :) the earthquake did it! ;)

The story took a definite strange turn for a minute. I reread the entire post trying to figure out your comment. :wub:

You don't have to. Your fiancee can get a canadian transit visa in a timely manner. You'll just have to show the travel plans and ties to the home country (or in this case, I would think ties to the US). In any case, it takes about 5 days from the canadian embassy and is free.

Really glad you posted this info.....I had this question as my fiancee will be flying home in a few days. I am taking air canada......Guess she will be coming separately on a different airline.

Joshua

You don't have to. Your fiancee can get a canadian transit visa in a timely manner. You'll just have to show the travel plans and ties to the home country (or in this case, I would think ties to the US). In any case, it takes about 5 days from the canadian embassy and is free.

I was seriously thinking about an Air Canada flight home too, but we could not figure out how to get that stupid transit visa. I had emailed the Canadian embassy in Guangzhou, and they said they don't do the transit visa there. Then I tried the one in Hong Kong, and they never responded. We gave up on the idea, because I had no idea how to get this transit visa..

I will let you all in on a little secret about flying to the US via Vancouver, Canada. If you fly Air Canada or United, when you land in Vancouver, there is a special direct route from your arrival gate to US customs. If you fly any other airline, you have to clear Canadian customs, and then go check-in through US departures. There is a special Air Canada/United baggage claim after you go through your special customs gate if your luggage has been checked through to a US destination. No Canadian transit visa required.

In addition, my experience is that US customs in Vancouver is much quicker and the agents politer than say LAX or SFO.

I was seriously thinking about an Air Canada flight home too, but we could not figure out how to get that stupid transit visa. I had emailed the Canadian embassy in Guangzhou, and they said they don't do the transit visa there. Then I tried the one in Hong Kong, and they never responded. We gave up on the idea, because I had no idea how to get this transit visa..

Edited by Craig and Mingjun (see edit history)