SSN question

Well I have a question regarding the SSN process.

I just got married today legally!! whooo. Im very happy!! :o . But I will not get my marriage certificate for about 2 or 3 weeks at most. I really want to go get the SSN but Im guessing I will need my marriage certificate.

So my questions is, can I still go there and apply for it in her family name? then change it later to my last name, or will they do a background check and find she is married then deny it?

I just don't want to wait any longer to apply for it.

Another question but about AOS..

I had a co-sponsor for my petition, should I send my co-sponsor taxes as well with mine? Along with the written notarized statement again saying they will help support as we build our lives in US? its my step father.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Yes you can apply for SSN in family name, and then later get the name changed after getting Mariage cert, EAD or Green-card.

SSA will not issue an SSN 76 days after entry on a K-1, after that and you will have to wait for EAD or Green-card.

If your income is still below 125% poverty line, then, yes you can use your step father, however, he will have to fill out an I-864, as well as you fill out an I-864 also.

You will be primary sponsor, and step dad will be joint sponsor.

All you need in order to get her SSN is her I-94, which should be stapled inside her passport. You can save some time at the social security office if you download, print, and fill out the application before you go.

www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html

It took one week for us to receive Ping's social security card. When we received our marriage license back, file marked by the county clerk's office, we went back to SSN with a newly completed SS-5 Form, this time in her married name.

We received the social security card in her married name in six days.

Congrats on your marriage! It took about 2 to 3 weeks for my wife to receive the SS card. So... your call as to do it or not and maybe go there again. Remember after the AOS goes thru you will have to go back with the GC and remove the conditions printed on the SS card as well.

Guest WenDylan

Congrats!

But a quick question...

Should you apply for the SSN before marriage, get married, then change the SSN card to the new marriage name...

or

could you just get the marriage certificate and apply 1 time, as opposed to the two times above?

Maybe I am just overly confusing myself.

But please note that SS offices and individuals vary widely in their understanding of your situation. You may have to provide their own regulations for them.

We had a problem with our local office and I couldn't get processed correctly even after speaking to the supervisor. Later that day I called the SS agency's national information number and explained the problem. After two minutes of research they agreed that I was correct. They called the local office from the national level, gave them my wife's name, and explained how things should work.

The next day we went back to the local office and got the red carpet treatment.

Others have had problems and have just gone to another office.

Good luck! Hope you get some of the knowledgeable SS people.