Getting Married In China

Moved my reply to previous post.

I agree. Don't mess it up. Have a "wedding reception" in China by all means, but don't get anything official from China authorities, that might spoil the K-1 processing...

Personally, we married in the U.S legally, then went to France and had a wedding reception with my family ( yeah, the cute dress and all ) but did not get married in France ( or could not , even if we wante to ) because we already were... Most countries recognize each other marriage...

Guest blsqueaky

Well let me add my 2 cents here since I was just married in China this May. One, I have to agree with Dan about the physical. It is not fun, especially the Dr. getting a sperm sample. I was so embarrased.

Also the paperwork that you go through is somewhat very tiresome. I made 3 trips to the consulate in GZ before everything was right, then 3 trips to the government office to get everything translated from Chinese into english.

I will just say that is was something else. But at least everything was finally done and it all worked out.

In China no paperwork means no marriage took place.  The same thing as here in the States.  The ceremony has no legal meaning behind it, it is just to show everyone that you are married.  And of course to have fun with everyone too.

Just be careful about common law marriage in the States :D

Fortunately, my state, Georgia, just did away with commom law marriage, otherwise, I might have found myself "married" when we had our ceremony in China. :o