Does your Chinese wife have a job in USA?

My wife has a masters degree from China in Chemistry. It took her about one year to find a job in her field. She found it through the help of such sites as Monster.com.. Her first part time job was teaching chinese. Now she makes decent money working for a Laboratory here in Dallas processing soil samples. She wants more and has started looking for even a better job. She makes very close to what I make and Ive been at my job for 18 years!. Not bad for your first job in your field of study!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife has a masters degree from China in Chemistry. It took her about one year to find a job in her field. She found it through the help of such sites as Monster.com.. Her first part time job was teaching chinese. Now she makes decent money working for a Laboratory here in Dallas processing soil samples. She wants more and has started looking for even a better job. She makes very close to what I make and Ive been at my job for 18 years!. Not bad for your first job in your field of study!

Cool.

OK the OP wants stories:

My wife had a masters as well and while waiting on the CR-1/2 she got her E-MBA through UTA. The professors flew to China to teach the classes. So this gave her an American diploma to go with her Chinese ones. The diploma does not mention classes in China!

I married a lady fluent in English on purpose, or rather I would only communicate with ladies that knew English on purpose. She was a Project Manager / Software Engineer, with programmers working for her at times for a high tech company in Beijing. On my side I have 8 states I travel in to do my job. So I am away from my house 50% at least.

Her first visit to the USA on K-3 visa made her realize she had a language problem. She does not have the "ear" for English in daily life in America. She realized that her dream of being in management in the USA was impossible. She returned to China to finish MBA and get the CR-1 & 2.

2nd trip to America she studied more computer languages to be useful as a software engineer again, and interviewed over the phone with countless head hunters due to resume we worked up for Monster.com. I advise all spouses to help/edit their resume. Some interviews were direct with companies too. She had a paid flight/hotel/food trip to San Jose, CA from TX for an in person interview for a management job in her field for a new office in Austin, TX. We never heard back.

She was about to decide to waitress tables at an American restaurant like Applebees. She still feels she should do this in life for that kind of experience.

We lowered her expectations on pay as a contract programmer, and since I travel for a living, decided to open it to anywhere in the USA within reason. No sooner did we agree and the phone rang from a head hunter who talked slow and sure and LISTENED! It was for a job in Little Rock, AR doing exactly the computer languages she knew the best. I drove her there. It is in my territory too. The technology interview went very well, and then the boss interview was good because he talked slow with good pronunciation and LISTENED as well. She landed the job as a contract engineer through an Ohio based contract company.

Arkansas is one of my states I travel in, so it worked out for us. I got her an apartment less than a mile away from work and a grocery store down the street. The school bus picks up Lil One for school. She passed her driving test in TX shortly thereafter and I left her an old car of mine to see how her driving goes. I spend more time in Lil Rock than I should :whistling:

After she has been there a year in October we hope to begin looking for her a job in Texas. Also ready for a new car and a new house back in the Dallas area.

Understanding spoken American English was the number one problem. A good head hunter STRONGLY advised her to NOT have Chinese friends or roommates, and to buy a TV and watch it every day just for English practice and develop the ear for understanding others.

Edited by SheLikesME? (see edit history)