Layoff before filing for AOS!!

Given the current state of the economy, the inevitable has finally arrived and my company has layoff everyone in our dept. I know this will affect the filing of the AOS for my soon-to-be-wife. Did anyone has similar unlucky experience?

I think what matters the most is the I-864. Can I substitute liquid assets for job salary and I suppose I should put down "0" under 'Current Annual Income'?

Other than the I-864, are there any potential problems on the AOS because of my adverse circumstance?

Given the current state of economy, sure it is very bad but it doesn't mean you have to lose hope. I would get back on track and find another job and hustle right away for your gal. She is counting on you. Also, a co-sponsor would greatly help and if you have assets and money in the bank. I would start gathering all that information. Don't give up Pete! I also didn't think I could do it because I had filed three dependents and my salary was $19,000 when I filed for AOS. I wouldn't give up. Continue the good fight and do the best you can to show the proof of income. Start gathering some strong Co-sponsors if you have to. A brother, mother, father, whatever. I think that's what helped me the most, which was getting two sponsors. One joint and one family member sponsor to show proof of income. Also, it would be a great idea to include a letter of explanation to state why you would put 0 under salary unless you can find a job right away that your future employer can make. It's not under your control that your company would layoff people. I'm sure the government can understand that.

Given the current state of the economy, the inevitable has finally arrived and my company has layoff everyone in our dept. I know this will affect the filing of the AOS for my soon-to-be-wife. Did anyone has similar unlucky experience?

I think what matters the most is the I-864. Can I substitute liquid assets for job salary and I suppose I should put down "0" under 'Current Annual Income'?

Other than the I-864, are there any potential problems on the AOS because of my adverse circumstance?

Edited by spacebar (see edit history)

Evidence of Assets

If you want to use your assets, the assets of your household members or dependents, and/or the assets of the immigrant you are sponsoring to meet the minimum requirement, you must provide evidence of assets with a cash value that equals at least five times the difference between your total household income and the minimum income requirement. For the assets of a household member, other than the immigrant(s) you are sponsoring, to be considered, the household member must complete and sign Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member.

All assets must be supported with evidence to verify location, ownership, and value of each asset. Any liens and liabilities relating to the assets must be documented. List only assets that can be readily converted into cash within one year. Evidence of assets includes, but is not limited to the following:

~ Bank statements covering the last 12 months, or a statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institution in which you have depositis, including deposit/withdrawal history for the last 12 months, and current balance;

~ Evidence of ownership and value of stocks, bonds, and certificates of deposit, and date(s) acquired;

~ Evidence of ownership and value of other personal property, and date(s) acquired; and

~ Evidence of ownership and value of any real estate, and date(s) acquired.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=308

Q. My sponsor and/or joint sponsor is using significant assets as part of his affidavit of support. Does the final rule change the requirements for significant assets?

A. Yes. The final rule reduces the value of assets that immediate relative spouses and children of U.S. citizens must have to fill the gap between earned income and the poverty guidelines from five times the difference to three. The gap is reduced further for those sponsoring adopted children who will qualify for citizenship under the Child Citizenship Act, but who do not qualify immediately upon entry.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry292751

Can you get a co-sponser to be on the safe side. Another asset to use is your 401-k minus the penalty for early withdrawl and taxes.

Hang in there Pete. I was laid off shortly before our interview.

It became a positive in our life and it does happen.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=30014&hl=

Focus on finding new work immediately. Don't get down about it. Stay positive and focus on the important things.

Jay

read your post... gave me more confidence to go back to work tomorrow and face to my BS boss... she gives me tough time <_< ... not fun...

Just believe things will get better...

Hang in there Pete. I was laid off shortly before our interview.

It became a positive in our life and it does happen.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=30014&hl=

Focus on finding new work immediately. Don't get down about it. Stay positive and focus on the important things.

Jay

read your post... gave me more confidence to go back to work tomorrow and face to my BS boss... she gives me tough time ;) ... not fun...

Just believe things will get better...

Thanks for all the encouraging words guys! I think I'll use my liquid assets as proof of income for now unless I can land a new position between now and the filing of the AOS.