Do Visitors need roundtrip tickets upon entry to LA?

Hello everyone,

Two months ago Nicola's cousin failed her Student visa twice as we tried to get her to come to a English School. The embassy said they won't let her come until she is ready for College and since she is just starting High School we decided to have her grandparents visit us again.

They both passed their interview and now we are arranging tickets for them to visit. We know they will stay between two to six months but are not sure how long they can last here. Do we have to buy roundtrip tickets for them since they are visitors or can we buy them their return tickets later? I would hate for them to get rejected in Los Angeles.

Also, any suggestions on buying their tickets from Guangzhou to Los Angeles? We are getting prices around $1,000 for a one way! That's too high. Thanks all!

Last thing, Nicola is pregnant with baby number two! Uncle Trigg can celebrate again! HAHA Also, she will be a citizen this month. Good luck to everyone through your process. This all will end and the good times are to come for everyone!

Sam

Good to hear from you Sam. Congratualations on baby 2 and Nicola's upcoming citizenship. My wife takes the citizenship test next Wednesday.

I don't think it is a requirement to have round trip tickets but it will most likely be cheaper. Airfare is high now due to the rising cost of fuel. Usually for a reasonable fee you can get the return flight changable if you do it up front. $1367.00 is the cheapest I see right now but it isn't open ended. $1700 seems to be the average.

Hi Sam,

I don't know whether they need round trip tickets to get in the US, but I do know that round trip tickets are cheaper than one way tickets.. :thank_you_so_much:

Try this service place;

http://www.flychina.com/

Some times even though you buy round trip tickets for a specific time you can always change the tickets later for an extra fee.

Tom and Ling

Hello everyone,

Two months ago Nicola's cousin failed her Student visa twice as we tried to get her to come to a English School. The embassy said they won't let her come until she is ready for College and since she is just starting High School we decided to have her grandparents visit us again.

They both passed their interview and now we are arranging tickets for them to visit. We know they will stay between two to six months but are not sure how long they can last here. Do we have to buy roundtrip tickets for them since they are visitors or can we buy them their return tickets later? I would hate for them to get rejected in Los Angeles.

Also, any suggestions on buying their tickets from Guangzhou to Los Angeles? We are getting prices around $1,000 for a one way! That's too high. Thanks all!

Last thing, Nicola is pregnant with baby number two! Uncle Trigg can celebrate again! HAHA Also, she will be a citizen this month. Good luck to everyone through your process. This all will end and the good times are to come for everyone!

Sam

Hello everyone,

Sam

Hi Guys,

I am pretty sure that the grandparents need to have a round trip ticket. Air China seems to always have the lowest fares. You can check on their website. With China Air, I believe that they have a provision to change dates for a little more money. Their webstie is www.airchina.com.cn

Good Luck

A few weeks ago we got a round trip ticket on China Southern from LAX to Chongqing (CKG) and return for $955.

We use a Chinese travel agent ... they always seem to get the best prices, particularly for repeat customers.

Yes, it seems we repeat this topic every couple of months.

As Jim has stated, it is hard to find someone who beats China Southern (via an ethnic travel agent) on the LAX to CAN route, and none of the 'on-line' venues beat the ethnic Chinese American travel agents who serve hundreds of Chinese Americans in their community.

These travel agents like the ones Jim and I use, buy blocks of tickets from CZ and other airlines, and will quote 'true' fares and not the teasers the on-line venues use, with hidden fees and bait and switch tactics when it comes time to buy the ticket.

My most recent round trip ticket in very early June, was $975 including taxes and all fees. Moreover, with a travel agent you get true customer service unlike the online companies. My agent in Monterey Park even called me in China to ensure my wife and daughter were able to match up with my ticket for our return flight from GZ.

Fares are higher now, not only due to the fuel costs, but this is the 'high' season for summer travel to and from China. They will stay high until after Labor Day, due in part to the impact on the overall trvel system with the Olympic Games in Beijing. This will cause prices to increase at all three POE's, Beijing, Shanghai, and Guangzhou.

A quick search in the transportation forum (Communications-Planes-and Shipping) herein, in the past two to three months, will offer a lot of info in this regard.

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

I'd say go ahead and get 2 round trip tickets, the cheapest ones you can find. THEN, either move the dates EARLY, or get new one way tickets back.

As to 'do they check in LAX' - man, I've no idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sam,

I don't know whether they need round trip tickets to get in the US, but I do know that round trip tickets are cheaper than one way tickets.. :D

Try this service place;

http://www.flychina.com/

Some times even though you buy round trip tickets for a specific time you can always change the tickets later for an extra fee.

Tom and Ling

Well since I live near the east coast (west coast of FL) the only real option for me is the Continental route from Tampa to Newark then non-stop to Beijing. I have searched many different sites and this is the only decent route. Others that take me through other cities, the flight time just balloons. But the Boeing 777 is a nice plane and I am anxious to do it again to see the lao po, son, and family.

Be there soon honey :ph34r:

Richard