Wife travel to china for a long time

I am going to agree with Minister here. Vacations or time with family are much different in the rest of the world. We are the only country that only has 2 weeks off each year and the company tries to find ways to make sure you can not use it.

Chinese and Russian friends of mine have had their in laws drop in for 3 ~ 6 months. Yep hard to love with and I DO agree with Franklin 3 days is enough! LOL

If my American wife had told me she was going to visit her mom for 3 months, I would have been waiting for the divorce papers to be sent. With other cultures it is different.

If there are no major issues in the relationship I am sure she will come back. Only you know what is going on at your home.

If you are a football fan, now you can get up on Saturday and Sunday watch the game, drink beers in your underwear and not have someone telling you not to do it! Enjoy! :ph34r: :D :lol:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I wanted to throw something light into this conversation, as the topic is quite heavy. Now that I've mentioned cooking lessons, allow me to move on to this heavy subject.

To me, the worst case scenario is that she will dissapear with the child in China, so yer gonna have to protect your son from that happening.

Does a worst case scenario require the worst case response ? Lets assume for the moment, it does, ya ?

The two of you file for divorce NOW. You file, she signs the initial filing documents as respondent. Inside of the divorce decree, you put in wording that requires her to give up custody of the child.

Notice we're stil at the 'filing' stage and not the 'granted' stage.

Once you've filed, you have a case number. Get the divorce paperwork translated into chinese, and filed for notary work at the closest Chinese Consulate.

If she disappears with the child in China, you have paperwork in English and Chinese that covers both legal sides.

If she returns to the USA, you can cancel the divorce proceedings.

Good Luck. Worst Case Scenario always, always, always sucks.

I pray you can temper your need for this type of coverage with your love for your son.

This should really work great ;) File for divorce??, not a good idea unless you want a divorce... that is not a road to look at.

In my opinion, I know it would be difficult to have my family gone for so long. But as you said, she is not acclimating so well to American life, but you both love and respect each other. I think you have to trust her. If she wasn't intending to return, couldn't she say she would go for a 2 weeks or a month and then not return... I just don't think the time she is there is such a big issue.

I do understand and respect you concerns just the same.

No one's life is perfect, even when it (life)is great, there are still things or will be things that are difficult in life, we just have to adjust and deal with the situations.

We can all speculate and give our suggestions, but only you know your wife.

I think SmilingAsia and Trigg gave some good points. But to make yourself feel more comfortable, speak with an attorney. I know money might be an issue, but what else can you do?

I wouldn't think your wife would want to live in China alone with a child. In alone I mean without a husband as she has a tight family there.

Have you ever given thought to communicating with her parents on this matter? I know you don't have command of the language, but there maybe ways around this if you thought it might be useful.

Just adding my thoughts.

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)