Physical Changes at GZ Consulate

For all of those of you that know about and love the U.S. Consulate in GZ, the remodeling construction has been finished. On Friday last, 8/15, the front side of the Consulate grounds were re-opened for business. You will now go there, along the road leading to and from the White Swan Hotel, to enter the Consulate and also to submit overcome papers, pick-up results and pick-up visas.

The head construction man of the U.S. business doing the work said that they were remodeling to increase the security to the post-blasts in Saudia Arabia, Kenya or 9/11 standards. For the most part it looks good and presumably the unobservable parts are the best parts. But there are several annoying things. No protection for those outside the Consulate boundaries. That affects me as I am there quite a lot, so I am prepared to run like hell if I see any funny business.

The other annoying thing is about the outside deliver and pick-up windows. They are made to worldwide security specifications I guess. The bank-like passage box is small and tight. Can't get my hand all the way in to manuveur the papers to the clerk. I spoke with the chief security guy about not being able to get docs easily through the window and he said "you can't get a gun in either." I will leave y'll to speculate on the meaning of that.

The street/parking lot side.

A little change in the way to get to the Consulate entrance since last Friday. If you go from the WS Hotel you will need to go around back of the church complex to gain entry to the outside waiting area or from other places go, west along the center park.

Glad to hear they finally finished the construction project. When Owen and I went there last February for our appointment with Richard Adams, we had to go through quite a few circles and hurdles to get into the inner sanctum. As for security, they confiscated my pen before they would let me inside. It was a felt tip. :blink: :P

They still take pens and other things. Now it has an airport style x-ray machine for baggage, etc., but they still take them in custody while you are inside. Maybe this will help speed up entering long lines of people waiting.

Certainly the business with Jade Yan, AOF or whomever is less than enlightening for people here who have lots more serious and important things on their minds. I am not saying anything new, but the best medicine for those people is to completely ignore them. Their own words have hung them.

They still take pens and other things. Now it has an airport style x-ray machine for baggage, etc., but they still take them in custody while you are inside. Maybe this will help speed up entering long lines of people waiting.

Certainly the business with Jade Yan, AOF or whomever is less than enlightening for people here who have lots more serious and important things on their minds. I am not saying anything new, but the best medicine for those people is to completely ignore them. Their own words have hung them.

That is what I and Clay recommended to begin with but people bought into the BS.....Jim