police certificate

Guest jade_yan

Guest jade_yan

is it necessary to get a seperate certicficate from every town I lived? Including moving as a teen, going to college and changing jobs? or is it possible to get one covering the entire time?

is it necessary to get a seperate certicficate from every town I lived?  Including moving as a teen, going to college and changing jobs?  or is it possible to get one covering the entire time?

Jade_yan....my buddy!!! How are ya???

As a yank, I've been so curious about this question myself. I remember you saying you are Chinese. I would think you would know best. Here's why....

Jing Mei was born and raised in Qing Shen and lived with her mother and father. Her father still lives there. Officially, she has never left. Realistically, she's lived in Leshan with her cousin and even bought a house in Chengdu. But, according to official Chinese records, she never left Qing Shen. If I understand it right, when a Chinese citizen moves, they are supposed to register in the new city. Is that right? If so, I suggest you think about any city you have registered in since you were 16 years old and get police records from them. Without registration and the absence of an arrest, how can it be proved?

Just my 2 cents........or 1 RMB. Good luck. BTW: What's your timeframe looking like???

I don't know anything about having to register when one moves. I think the form states the following (taken from http://www.usinfo.pl/consular/packets/file.../OF-169_eng.pdf):

Applicants aged 16 years or over must submit a police certificate from the police authorities of each locality of the country of the applicant's nationality or current residence where the applicant has resided for at least six months since age 16. Police certificates are also required from all other countries where the applicant has resided for at least one year. A police certificate must also be obtained from the police authorities of any place where the applicant has been arrested for any reason, regardless of how long he or she lived there.
I don't know anything about having to register when one moves.  I think the form states the following (taken from http://www.usinfo.pl/consular/packets/file.../OF-169_eng.pdf):

Applicants aged 16 years or over must submit a police certificate from the police authorities of each locality of the country of the applicant's nationality or current residence where the applicant has resided for at least six months since age 16. Police certificates are also required from all other countries where the applicant has resided for at least one year. A police certificate must also be obtained from the police authorities of any place where the applicant has been arrested for any reason, regardless of how long he or she lived there.

CAREFUL !

I notice the .pl in the URL.. That's Poland and a consular notice for Polish based applicants..... Police certificates requirement varies from country to country. Poland MIGHT be different from China :angry:

Ahh, Do I have to check everything around here??

:ph34r:

Juuust kidding !

ooops.. Never mind.. that's a Dept State originating notice ,copied and pasted -courtesy Polish U.S post... .. but still be careful kiddos:-)

Second verse, same as the first..

Same info, different link:

http://travel.state.gov/nvc3.html#pc

This time its from the National Visa Centre.. its a little easier to read. I have seen instances of country-specific forms that would have the same Id (i.e. OF-169), but would have a country code appended. True, this form may vary somewhat, but I imagine that its essentially the same (i.e. the 6 month rule). There is another version of the OF-169 if you are orginating from Canada, Albania, or the continent of Africa http://travel.state.gov/nvc2.html

Albeit, I don't have a copy of this form yet from China.. I'd be glad to get my hands on one :ph34r:

Second verse, same as the first..

Same info, different link:

http://travel.state.gov/nvc3.html#pc

This time its from the National Visa Centre..  its a little easier to read.  I have seen instances of country-specific forms that would have the same Id (i.e. OF-169), but would have a country code appended.  True, this form may vary somewhat, but I imagine that its essentially the same (i.e. the 6 month rule).  There is another version of the OF-169 if you are orginating from Canada, Albania, or the continent of Africa http://travel.state.gov/nvc2.html

Albeit, I don't have a copy of this form yet from China..  I'd be glad to get my hands on one :angry:

Should be the same.. hence my "oooops" footnote :lol:

Double-ooops ! I didn't see the ubiquitous "OF-169" in the URL either... :ph34r: There. That makes it official US gov't policy on police records and residency, even if your sweetie lives in, say, Uzbekistan.

Damn.. I'd better get back to my chilled Margherita..

Should be the same.. hence my "oooops"  footnote  ;)

No prob.. actually, the second link I posted is a lot easier to read and provides a nice situational If/Then breakdown. :blush:

I've been OF-169'd and I-XXX'd out.

;)

Won't happen again...They ( aforementioned forms ) are all behind me now.... just to have to worry about I-485 ... :lol: and the @#$% interview date resulting from our filing of said I-#%% late March.

I drove I-95 today though... Fluid traffic.... Wish I could stay the same about BCIS " I " interstates. ;)

Guest jade_yan

the instructions for DS 2001 ( think), say one police certificate for every locality in which beneficiary lived for more than 6 mos since 16 yoa. Does anyone KNOW that one is sufficient? has just one been accepted.

to dave, gee, I never registered when I moved anywhere.

How many different house register booklets are you registered with? You know those red booklets that lists your name and your family's names that lived at a residence.

Similar to what Dave said, it all depends on how many times/booklets you registered either with the local PSB/office for the cities that you resided in. If you didn't register in a city, then you won't need a record for that city.

My wife lived in different cities for more than 6 mos, but she never registered with the local PSB or never registered for a new household registry. My wife only had one police certificate, and it was accepted.

the instructions for DS 2001 ( think), say one police certificate for every locality in which beneficiary lived for more than 6 mos since 16 yoa.  Does anyone KNOW that one is sufficient?  has just one been accepted.

to dave, gee, I never registered when I moved anywhere.

Jade-yan,

You will be okay then. Go to your local police office and get what you can. If GZ does a records search, they will find nothing. It's nearly impossible to prove a negative (places you have not lived). Unless you are a gun toting, dope dealing, airplane hijacking, gerbil raping, Mah Jong cheating, no good SOB, there will be no records anywhere to be found. All name searches will come up blank. You're just fine. Don't worry.

Dave

Guest jade_yan

my question was more directed to whther we can truthfully comply without going to four different cities, not what we can get away with. The original filing with BCIS lists more than one address, so we do not want to show up with just one police statement unless it covers all time and is acceptable. Does anyone know?

my question was more directed to whther we can truthfully comply without going to four different cities, not what we can get away with. ?

Hi Jade_Yan,

I think you can never go wrong with honesty. My advice is to cover all the bases, and leave nothing to chance.

Good Luck, and Best Wishes

my question was more directed to whther we can truthfully comply without going to four different cities, not what we can get away with. ?

Hi Jade_Yan,

I think you can never go wrong with honesty. My advice is to cover all the bases, and leave nothing to chance.

Good Luck, and Best Wishes

I totally agree...to a point. If Jade_yan lived in Beijing, Sanya, Hong Kong, and Chongqing but never registered, is it realistic that she can to to all these cities and get the police report? Not likely. Since she's never registered, these cities would technically never know she was there (unless arrested). If, on the other hand, she lived in cities within a close proximity, then Argyle is right. A little extra effort can't hurt.