China residency and DCF

I have been waiting for a CR-1 visa for my wife for almost 2 years. It is now on AP. At this point I am just thinking aloud for a plan B.

In case the visa is denied, I plan to move to China. I have several questions about a plan B.

1. Can I reply for a visa again?

2. For a Direct Consular Filing (DCF), do I have to have a specific visa?

3. If I rent an apartment in our names and live in China, would I get a resident book which would qualify me for DCF?

4. Is there anyone here whose visa has been denied? What was your plan B?

Thanks . . . .Ken88

1. You can apply again, DCF, if you meet the criteria.

2. You need a work visa (Z) or residency permit. Best to call the local consulate you would file at and ask them which one they want.. it seems to differ even though it shouldn't.

3. I don't think you. You get a residency permit based on the need to be in the country more than six months (work, school, etc).

4. Many visas have been denied for various reasons... most are "overcome" on the submission of teh requested info. Only a very, very few are denied and returned to the US.

3. If I rent an apartment in our names and live in China, would I get a resident book which would qualify me for DCF?

Thanks . . . .Ken88

Indeed, different US Consulate's here seem to have different requirements on this point. In Beijing (the US Embassy) we filed with only a "Z" visa and less than a day in China last August. No problem. It is reported to be different elsewhere. I guess Emerson was right: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

As far as "getting denied" is concerned, we were, initially, at least to the tune of a blue card. Eventually they granted the visa (about four days ago) but not until they had extracted their pound of flesh. But it had nothing to do with the DCF filing: we had an issue that needed to be addressed. That was my previous marriage and divorce, not very long before, to a different Chinese woman (and a resulting visa).

Handwritten letters of "explanation", certified, and a photo of the two of us in front of a building in Luoyang was all they wanted.

But that problem got ironed out, and I think the fact that my wife and I lived together in China for a year was a big help as far as the visa was cncerned. My guess is that we would have been simply denied had I filed the CR-1 from the US. "Here we go again", they would be saying at the water cooler in the G'zhou Consulate.

It all turned out well, for sure. Not only did we get the visa, but we got to know each other really well, and we are certain (as certain as people who are married and living together for more than a year can be) that we are "right" for each other.

We went through it all in the year here: change of jobs (twice), no money at times, minor squabbles, terrific fun, traveling and it was all just part of a regular, deep connection. THAT is actually the best part of a DCF in my mind. It removes a great deal of uncertainty. We discovered we are both people who sometimes make mistakes, say the wrong thing at times, but who love each other and can forgive and forget. That's what marriage is, right?

Thanks . . . .Ken88

Indeed, different US Consulate's here seem to have different requirements on this point. In Beijing (the US Embassy) we filed with only a "Z" visa and less than a day in China last August. No problem. It is reported to be different elsewhere. I guess Emerson was right: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

As far as "getting denied" is concerned, we were, initially, at least to the tune of a blue card. Eventually they granted the visa (about four days ago) but not until they had extracted their pound of flesh. But it had nothing to do with the DCF filing: we had an issue that needed to be addressed. That was my previous marriage and divorce, not very long before, to a different Chinese woman (and a resulting visa).

Handwritten letters of "explanation", certified, and a photo of the two of us in front of a building in Luoyang was all they wanted.

But that problem got ironed out, and I think the fact that my wife and I lived together in China for a year was a big help as far as the visa was cncerned. My guess is that we would have been simply denied had I filed the CR-1 from the US. "Here we go again", they would be saying at the water cooler in the G'zhou Consulate.

It all turned out well, for sure. Not only did we get the visa, but we got to know each other really well, and we are certain (as certain as people who are married and living together for more than a year can be) that we are "right" for each other.

We went through it all in the year here: change of jobs (twice), no money at times, minor squabbles, terrific fun, traveling and it was all just part of a regular, deep connection. THAT is actually the best part of a DCF in my mind. It removes a great deal of uncertainty. We discovered we are both people who sometimes make mistakes, say the wrong thing at times, but who love each other and can forgive and forget. That's what marriage is, right?

Congratulations Shyaushu!

Good job! You finally succeeded. I am glad for you.

Do you know the answer to my orignal questions no, 2 and 3?

Thanks . . . . . Ken88

I have been waiting for a CR-1 visa for my wife for almost 2 years. It is now on AP. At this point I am just thinking aloud for a plan B.

In case the visa is denied, I plan to move to China. I have several questions about a plan B.

Thanks . . . .Ken88

Ken, being one of 12 people from Candle that I know of this year whose visas were denied and sent back to Uncle Scamville, I'll answer your..

Question: 4

Plan B

BE HAPPY IN MY BONA FIDE RELATIONSHIP

Go to China and marry

Send every american peso I have to China

Buy a home in China

Go to China and live with my family

Teach english

Travel, with my wife, to see my crazy lovable friends in Australia and New Zealand

Maybe DCF in 2010 or 2011 if we see a need/or if there is anything to come back to

We prepared and rehearsed our asses off for the interview and were anal retentive with the paperwork preparation and submissions.

I was a complete gentleman and polite to every VO I met at the consulate in my 3 trips to the 5th floor. I kissed ass to every official and was written up as a "nice guy" by an ACH VO. With my distinctive Aussie hat and happy smile I got to know the guards and VO's in the consulate with my visits.

We weren't LUCKY at the crap shoot, called an interview. :huh:

I look at the whole thing as if we ARE lucky. We have been through the test by fire and, yet, here we still stand...TOGETHER!!

Who am I to say what my path in life is. I was given the gift of my woman and son, and nowhere does it state that america is the only place to live...or even the best place.

My only regret:

I don't have one, as we did our best! ;)

What would I do if, after meeting my woman, I had it to do over again and knew what I know now:

Instead of dealing with the american government again, I would take an online TEFL class and simply move to China to live with my wife. No need to fuss around with false gods and their crap shoot.

The idiotic pressure from the GOOBERS in Guangzhou is off of us now.

Good LUCK to ya Ken, most of the 'posters' on here don't have a clue what the REAL waiting is all about. And I thank God they don't have to understand that fact. I relish everyone's success.

tsap seui

Thanks . . . .Ken88

Ken, being one of 12 people from Candle that I know of this year whose visas were denied and sent back to Uncle Scamville, I'll answer your..

Question: 4

Plan B

BE HAPPY IN MY BONA FIDE RELATIONSHIP

Go to China and marry

Send every american peso I have to China

Buy a home in China

Go to China and live with my family

Teach english

Travel, with my wife, to see my crazy lovable friends in Australia and New Zealand

Maybe DCF in 2010 or 2011 if we see a need/or if there is anything to come back to

We prepared and rehearsed our asses off for the interview and were anal retentive with the paperwork preparation and submissions.

I was a complete gentleman and polite to every VO I met at the consulate in my 3 trips to the 5th floor. I kissed ass to every official and was written up as a "nice guy" by an ACH VO. With my distinctive Aussie hat and happy smile I got to know the guards and VO's in the consulate with my visits.

We weren't LUCKY at the crap shoot, called an interview. B)

I look at the whole thing as if we ARE lucky. We have been through the test by fire and, yet, here we still stand...TOGETHER!!

Who am I to say what my path in life is. I was given the gift of my woman and son, and nowhere does it state that america is the only place to live...or even the best place.

My only regret:

I don't have one, as we did our best! :roller:

What would I do if, after meeting my woman, I had it to do over again and knew what I know now:

Instead of dealing with the american government again, I would take an online TEFL class and simply move to China to live with my wife. No need to fuss around with false gods and their crap shoot.

The idiotic pressure from the GOOBERS in Guangzhou is off of us now.

Good LUCK to ya Ken, most of the 'posters' on here don't have a clue what the REAL waiting is all about. And I thank God they don't have to understand that fact. I relish everyone's success.

tsap seui

Tsap seui:

It seems that you have a solid plan. I am sure that it will work out for you. I wish you the best of luck!

I have done some research on teaching in China. I finally decided against it, because I am not ready to to sign a contract for one year. If you have any questions on the subject, I might be able to answer them here.

I do not know your educational background. But if you have a college degree, you do not need TEFL. You can even teach in a university without TEFL. So don't waste your money!

You said that there have a dozen or so denials among CFL members. Can you give me their names so that I can look them up and see how they are handling the situation.

Thanks. . . . Ken88

Ken, first off, thanks for your offer to help answer questions about teaching in China and for your support as another long term AP blue slip guy. :)

AP blue slip people suffer a particularuly cruel wait as you well know. I wouldn't wish the hell we went through on anyone. In our case we would have been much better off to have gotten a white slip at the interview, than be given 300 days of pure hell with NEVER a question answered, NEVER a chance to hand in overcome evidence, and NEVER a consideration that we may have even been human beings.

Oh well, that's just the way it is in AP blue slip land.

Everyday away from the actual denial is another GOOD day in my life. The pressure is off, I no longer have to kiss ass to false gods in GUZ, or talk to people from the DOS on the phone each day. :)

I was always a gentleman on my multiple trips to the consulate for ACH, my 60 something e-mails to GUZ, and on the phone to DOS operators for many months on end.

I must say, all that ass kissin' to government people that I normaly would never associate with has cost me dearly in toilet paper. :) It's been a month now since our denial and to this day I still have to wipe my mouth out and my lips off from the taste of shit!!! :)

As far as giving you peoples names that have gotten denials this year. These guys and two ladies appear to be private type people who are signed in on Candle but don't care to post publicily. They wrote to me, asking me what to do, since I have been a frequent poster on Candle with our long time blue slip.

I'd suggest you make an open post for anyone that got a denial this year to PM you directly. ;)

I can tell you what I suggest to them all and what I have done myself.

With a denial or while in AP blue slip....E-mail Marc Ellis, marcellislaw@gmail.com

Two days after the DOS word on the denial, one of my two Congressional liasons called her contact in GUZ and was told the case was locked down. They could no longer discuss it. The case was marked for returning to america and she and I could see what their finding was when it got back to my service center....and that's IT.

And that is exactly what others with denials have told me. Sometimes you can get an e-mail to GUZ replied to after the denial, often the wording is DO NOT CONTACT US AGAIN ON THIS CASE.

My liason says that I am lucky that my service center is Vermont as they often give you a chance for rebuttal, California almost ALWAYS lets the case expire with no contact with you whatsoever. Oh, and it will only take 12-18 months before I would hear from Vermont.

My attorney, Marc Ellis, marcellislaw@gmail.com , if you e-mail him, will tell you he needs to interview your lady. That is an hour to an hour and a half phone interview. Either, while you are in AP blue slip hell, or after a denial.

Trying to keep the case in Guangzhou after a denial....I can only guess that is an older thing, as they have been locking down everyone's case I have seen lately and not discussing it with anyone. It didn't work for me either.

Ken, I just don't have any good news to offer about AP blue's and denials. I tried everything under the sun and everything was a waste of time and completely futile.

Again, I am blessed to have it over with and can now get on with my life. I'd call that 10 months after the interview a waste of time if the stress hadn't given us a chance to get to know each other infinitely better in something other than the "honeymoon" stage of a relationship based on a few trips over to China and waiting 9 or 10 months for an interview. :lol:

I hope you overcome your AP blue Ken. I truly hope it works out for you and your wife.

tsap seui

You could also apply for, and get, a 1 year multi-entry L visa.

Once you've landed in China, take yer lass and the marriage books to the PSB, apply for a temporary residency permit. The duration on the permit will vary from 6 to 18 months. The us consulate's rules on prior duration for DCF seem to vary by Consulate. Most say 6 months, one says it doesn't matter if you have residency permit.

Good Luck.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

You could also apply for, and get, a 1 year multi-entry L visa.

Once you've landed in China, take yer lass and the marriage books to the PSB, apply for a temporary residency permit. The duration on the permit will vary from 6 to 18 months. The us consulate's rules on prior duration for DCF seem to vary by Consulate. Most say 6 months, one says it doesn't matter if you have residency permit.

Good Luck.

Hello Darnell: Thanks

You are just getting started in the visa expedition. How come you know a lot about China and the visa process?

What was that addendum you were talking about in your time line?

And what was that ITIN W7 etc.?

Can I get my residency permit anyhwhere in China or only in my wife's hometown? How much does it cost?

Thanks again . . . Ken88

Can I get my residency permit anyhwhere in China or only in my wife's hometown? How much does it cost?

Thanks again . . . Ken88

I hadn't looked into getting the permit in one place and living in another place, I only got it in one city, and I don't remember the price. Does your wife work in her hometown? Regardless, I THINK you can get a residency permit where ever your wife is working (or wherever you two own property together) - maybe GZBILL can give you a better answer on a 'two city residency' thingie.

Thanks again . . . Ken88

I hadn't looked into getting the permit in one place and living in another place, I only got it in one city, and I don't remember the price. Does your wife work in her hometown? Regardless, I THINK you can get a residency permit where ever your wife is working (or wherever you two own property together) - maybe GZBILL can give you a better answer on a 'two city residency' thingie.

Is the residency card, something like a passport showing your citizenship etc. which never changes or is it like a driver's license, showing the current address, sustitute as ID, etc.? someone told me that it could cost you thousands of Yuan. As you remember it, is it in hundreds or thousands?

My wife did work before, but does not work now. She does not own a home; she rents a home with her sister, after her divorce from her ex-. But she does have a residency card. I suppose everybody in China must have one. I asked her to try to get me a residency card. She went to the Police station and tried unsuccessfully. Her knowledge in these things is very limited !

Ken88