which documents need to be notarized?

I am in the process of preparing I-134 + other needed documents as my fiancee just got her P3 a short while ago.

The bank I am with is an online-only bank and their verification of deposit statement is not notarized.

And thus it raises a question - what documents need to be notarized? I have asked this question on a different forum, but the answers I got were somewhat unclear.

One guy said only I-134 form needs to be notarized. Another guy seemed to be saying only documents prepared by the beneficiary need to be notarized (e.g. birth certificate, police certificate, etc. - which they do, but I am more concerned about the stuff I am preparing)

I am wondering if someone here is able to give me a more definitive answer. Thanks!

I am in the process of preparing I-134 + other needed documents as my fiancee just got her P3 a short while ago.

The bank I am with is an online-only bank and their verification of deposit statement is not notarized.

And thus it raises a question - what documents need to be notarized? I have asked this question on a different forum, but the answers I got were somewhat unclear.

One guy said only I-134 form needs to be notarized. Another guy seemed to be saying only documents prepared by the beneficiary need to be notarized (e.g. birth certificate, police certificate, etc. - which they do, but I am more concerned about the stuff I am preparing)

I am wondering if someone here is able to give me a more definitive answer. Thanks!

The main requirement is that the acutal. I-134 needs to be nortarized. Many people have everything nortarized. We did not do that. We only had the I-134 done. Part of the confusion is the english translated document that the people in China must prepare. Those documents must be translated at the Nortary and they will stamp them, so they will be nortized during translation.

Thanks Don. I will probably do the same.

The main requirement is that the acutal. I-134 needs to be nortarized. Many people have everything nortarized. We did not do that. We only had the I-134 done. Part of the confusion is the english translated document that the people in China must prepare. Those documents must be translated at the Nortary and they will stamp them, so they will be nortized during translation.

Only document we had notarized was the I-134 because it requires it.

Everything else was fine by the consulate.

Note: Some US Citizens, if cannot be in Guangzhou will have the photo-copy of passport notarized so that the copy is considered to be a true and accurate copy.

Since I was in Guangzhou for the interview, I did not bother with a notarized copy of US passport, my Yu brought my actual passport to the interview with her.

Thanks! I didn't know that, and will certainly keep it in mind!

Only document we had notarized was the I-134 because it requires it.

Everything else was fine by the consulate.

Note: Some US Citizens, if cannot be in Guangzhou will have the photo-copy of passport notarized so that the copy is considered to be a true and accurate copy.

Since I was in Guangzhou for the interview, I did not bother with a notarized copy of US passport, my Yu brought my actual passport to the interview with her.

yes only I-134

but I did a copy of my passport, 2007 tax return, and EOR - evolution of relationship.

I figured just be ready in case.. It will cost more to do it later and to send it via FEDEX again in shipping fees. I figure just spend the extra $15 now than have to do it later and pay shipping fees.

But it's up to you.

good luck

I shall do the same, except for the tax return - I have ordered a transcript, and I believe it should be good.

What's an evolution of relationship? What's on it and how do I get that notarized? thanks

yes only I-134

but I did a copy of my passport, 2007 tax return, and EOR - evolution of relationship.

I figured just be ready in case.. It will cost more to do it later and to send it via FEDEX again in shipping fees. I figure just spend the extra $15 now than have to do it later and pay shipping fees.

But it's up to you.

good luck

I shall do the same, except for the tax return - I have ordered a transcript, and I believe it should be good.

What's an evolution of relationship? What's on it and how do I get that notarized? thanks

Evoloution of Relationship is sometimes asked for by counselor officer it there was a recent divorce in either fiancee's past.

It can be a one page letter to the counselor officer explaining how you met, and decided to marry. It is signed by US citizen in front of a Notary public to prove the identity of the person signing the letter.

You can find a notary at many banks in the USA.

I see. so if neither of us has been married before, we can skip this one?

Evoloution of Relationship is sometimes asked for by counselor officer it there was a recent divorce in either fiancee's past.

It can be a one page letter to the counselor officer explaining how you met, and decided to marry. It is signed by US citizen in front of a Notary public to prove the identity of the person signing the letter.

You can find a notary at many banks in the USA.

Skip is the magic word for some people, as in "Don't skip anything." As Dan alluded to, it's rarely needed/asked for in cases without divorce. Most people here are of a mind that you should be prepared for ANYTHING and would suggest you type one up and have it just in case you're the 1 in 10,000 who may need it.

Like you, neither of us had been divorced but I typed one up anyway to have just in case but did not get it notorized. It really depends on your comfort level. If you're comfortable playing the percentages, go for it. If not, go ahead and do it if for no other reason than your and your fiancee's peace of mind. :)

Good luck. :)

You don't have to do an EOR and save the $5 but since it's an easy thing to do, I would.

In case the small chance they ask you for it, it's there. You don't have to make one and FEDEX to them. My understanding is that if it is asked for, it needs to be hand written....so no email or fax accepted.

Save you heart burn and more shipping fees....and peace of mind.....

good luck

I see. a peace of mind is certainly much more important than the trouble of writing a letter. thanks!

Skip is the magic word for some people, as in "Don't skip anything." As Dan alluded to, it's rarely needed/asked for in cases without divorce. Most people here are of a mind that you should be prepared for ANYTHING and would suggest you type one up and have it just in case you're the 1 in 10,000 who may need it.

Like you, neither of us had been divorced but I typed one up anyway to have just in case but did not get it notorized. It really depends on your comfort level. If you're comfortable playing the percentages, go for it. If not, go ahead and do it if for no other reason than your and your fiancee's peace of mind. :)

Good luck. :)

sorry about all the questions.

Is EOR the same as the updated letter of intent? If they are different, should I notarize the updated letter of intent as well?

sorry about all the questions.

Is EOR the same as the updated letter of intent? If they are different, should I notarize the updated letter of intent as well?

EOR is your evolution of your relationship. How you met to now.

LOI is your intent to marry

jimncherry