Single One Way & 3 Way Home

It seems that a one way ticket to Guangzhou is, on average, close to the same price as a 2 way ticket. I plan to fly to Guangzhou to bring support at the interview, then maybe 2 or 3 days later, fly home with my fiancee and our son. Wish I could stay longer, but my job is in the way.

But it seems I can't purchase their tickets from USA, they must purchase or I must buy them when I arrive. And that would seem very expensive to wait until the last moment to buy 3 one way tickets to the US. Or I could buy a 2 way ticket for myself, but then all 3 of us coming back together would seem impossible. Then there's the dreaded chance the visa will not issue the same day, or the passport arrives late, etc., and all return tickets get a hefty reschedule fee?

How as everyone else done this?

Buying tickets in China is not the same as in the USA. For example, there is NO advantage to buying tickets well in advance. Most Chinese ai rlines seem to prefer it if you buy just a week ahead or a few days. There is nothing like the practice of buying 14 day or 21 day advance tickets being cheaper like here in the US.

You should talk to your other half in China. They should be able to call some travel agents and get you a lot more info about prices and options. My wife is buying tickets this week for GZ and she will be flyint on Sunday. She firgures she can get a better deal the longer she waits.

hey i checked on travelocity today and one way FROM GZ to usa (houston) is about $300 less than a round trip ticket...depending on day of travel. The best price I could get round trip for august was right at $1000 and one way was about $750 or a little less. Just food for thought. Also i once used a web site as a source that would beat any price on the net, you just had to have one or two day flexibility in depart/arr. It costs $5 to sign up, and I saved about $150 on my last trip. Legit! It usually takes them about half a day to one day to get back to you. I put in the specifics on the web site, and they put it out for bid on their network...someone calls you back, usually 2 or 3 travel agents.

Here is the site:

www.bestasiafare.com

finenn, if you want to fly out of HongKong check JAL. They fly into LA or SF. then you could take a leg to were you are going in the US. Jal has been lossing money because with Sars and the war, Japanese don't want to fly. I know you can get a one way return from HongHong and bring it with you. Remember if you have the ticket, but need to change the return date, it will cost about $ 75 on JAL. GuangZhou is only 3 hours by airport bus to the HongKong airport.

I have a Chinese travel agent in Salt Lake who is fluent in Cantonese and Mandarin. She was raised in GZ.

I let her handle everything (inc Visa) and she beats anybody's prices.

My RT from LAX to Can is $708 (China Southern 20 Aug 2003).

She also booked my fiancees flight to America at the same time thus we may travel together. ($916, 8 Sept 2003)

The flights back to LA were heavily booked (possibly due to students). I will stay in China a week longer than planned because the low fair seats were sold out until the 8th.

Thanks for all replies.

Ok, so it seems I must buy a 1 way ticket to Guangzhou, and then buy 3 tickets home for my fiancee & our son. I say this because I want to fly back together, and I cannot seem to book a combination 2 way ticket for me and 2 one way tickets for them. It's just not very cheap this way--multi one way tickets.

So, it seems it's cheaper to buy 3 round trip tickets, then I'll sleep on 3 seats on the way there? Think I can do that? I can check myself, but what do you guys think? Will I need 3 passport numbers? Has anyone done this?

FlyChina 3 round trip tickets cost about $2070.00.

----------------------- v.s. -------------------

A one way ticket for me: about $500.00 (I doubt it probably more)

and 3 one way tickets back: $1995.00.

Total: $2495.00.

BTW her price in China for 3 one way tickets cost about $1810.00.

Guest jade_yan
hey i checked on travelocity today and one way FROM GZ to usa (houston) is about $300 less than a round trip ticket...depending on day of travel.  The best price I could get round trip for august was right at $1000 and one way was about $750 or a little less.  Just food for thought.  Also i once used a web site as a source that would beat any price on the net, you just had to have one or two day flexibility in depart/arr.  It costs $5 to sign up, and I saved about $150 on my last trip. Legit!  It usually takes them about half a day to one day to get back to you.  I put in the specifics on the web site, and they put it out for bid on their network...someone calls you back, usually 2 or 3 travel agents.

Here is the site:

www.bestasiafare.com

it costs $5 for each time you want a quote for airfare! thats outrageous.