Two Diff Case Numbers for I-751???

Ok. I'm really scratching my head on this one. I mailed in our application packet and checked my online banking to get the case number off of the back of the check. Got the number, but every time I checked it said that number was not in the automated system.

A couple weeks later we received a letter for the biometrics appointment. This letter had a different case number. When I typed that case number into the computer it said that case had been transferred to vermont and they would be contacting us.

On May 3rd we went ahead and went to the biometrics appointemnt.

Today I received NOA1, the letter which extends the greencard for one year. It says they will later send us a biometrics appointment, which we have already done. And, this letter has the old case number that was on the back of the check they cashed. The date of the letter is May 13th. I again tried to type this case number into the online status system and received the same no number in automated system message.

Should I be concerned that the government has issued us two case numbers? Should I be concerned about the two letters coming out of order? What do you guys think? I'm not sure if we should do something or just let it go. Thanks for the help!

P.S. Also the NOA1 has my husband's name under petitioner and nothing under beneficiary. Is this correct?

Edited by Katrina (see edit history)

I'm not sure why the first case number came back, in our case the one on the first biometrics appointment is the one we are tracking and seeing changes.

I'd plan on showing up for the Biometrics. Try setting up an Infopass appointment for the same date/time to get clarification, be sure to take all your receipts with you. It would be ashamed to have a problem because you didn't show up for biometrics round 2. :D

Your husband is the applicant now, for the visa he was the beneficiary.

Thanks Lee! I think I need to clarify though. We only received one appointment. The second letter is the I-751 that extends the greencard and shows the receipt for the payment. We had our biometrics appointment on 05/03. 10 days later we received the second letter that extends the greencard. In this letter it says to expect another letter that will have an appointment for biometrics (as if this letter is meant to be the initial contact and biometrics has never happened). If they send us another one we will go. But, I don't understand why we have two different numbers. And the online status system doesn't really give any information for either case number. One number has no information and the other one only says that our case has been transferred to Vermont. I guess we will just wait and see what happens next.

It's almost like Vermont quickly received our case and quickly scheduled biometrics and the Texas Service Center is so far behind that they just now printed and mailed our initial receipt from when I mailed the application. Maybe in a few weeks I will get the letter notifying us that they transferred the case to Vermont (we've never received that either). :toot: Could Texas be so far behind that even printing and mailing a letter is behind? I thought Vermont was supposed to be the slowest service center right now.

This sounds more like it, we received our receipt first and then got the biometrics letter with the same results on the USCIS case status page.

Apparently the USCIS assigns a case number to the I-751 and then changes the case to a CR-189 which needs a new case number, or so it seems.