You are lucky, if you already bought a house in China

Keep looking !

There was a housing market slump 2 months ago (3 months ago?) around CNY - the builders were making nice discounts on the new properties. But be advised, even if you buy a new property, it's not finished yet - you still gotta do some stuff.

If/when we make it to that point, the plan is to buy several places in Wuhan and Chengdu for rental after 18 months. But I'm using my connections (well, my wife's connections) to get a good deal, then use my bartering and construction skills to handle the renovations.

When you give this type o 'data', sometimes is useful to quote the source, as you may find the data to be outdated (or if we look at your source, someone here may confirm that for you).

Just remember, if you are to go shopping for a house as an 'expat', you will pay expat prices, which are HIGH !

I still find that the best deals are to be had at the listing agents office on the first floor of any of the buildings, they put out notices handwritten , taped to the inside of the windows. You won't find that type of deep discount on the internet. (Which means you two need to make a scouting trip)

Keep looking !

There was a housing market slump 2 months ago (3 months ago?) around CNY - the builders were making nice discounts on the new properties. But be advised, even if you buy a new property, it's not finished yet - you still gotta do some stuff.

If/when we make it to that point, the plan is to buy several places in Wuhan and Chengdu for rental after 18 months. ...

Just remember that you'll probably have to put all of them in your wife's name and, if you are going to obtain a mortgage, every house after the first will carry a 25% increase over the interest rate offered for first-time home buyers.

As an expat, you are limited to only one and even that you can't get unless you've already lived in China one year on either a student or work-related residence permit.

Edited by GZBILL (see edit history)

Keep looking !

If/when we make it to that point, the plan is to buy several places in Wuhan and Chengdu for rental after 18 months. But I'm using my connections (well, my wife's connections) to get a good deal, then use my bartering and construction skills to handle the renovations.

When you give this type o 'data', sometimes is useful to quote the source, as you may find the data to be outdated (or if we look at your source, someone here may confirm that for you).

Just remember, if you are to go shopping for a house as an 'expat', you will pay expat prices, which are HIGH !

I still find that the best deals are to be had at the listing agents office on the first floor of any of the buildings, they put out notices handwritten , taped to the inside of the windows. You won't find that type of deep discount on the internet. (Which means you two need to make a scouting trip)

The lil' rabbit is hittin' the street everyday lookin' at the realities and the potentials on the market in her area.

We will most likely buy 2 houses, and possibly a "sauna" business that is in a good district but run down and in need or a rehab, in July. There is lots going on in northeast China. New, freshly built schools are coming on line and their districts are having spot bursts of price increases as the officialsopen these districts up, so we're lookin' to cash in. Also lookin' into the possibilities to finish new houses and renovate old ones when I get over, since that is what I do here in Uncle Scamville.

I'm a couple of months behind you Ken (just over 10 months since our interview) and the DOS has passed our line in the sand as to how long they are going to delay our bona fide relationship.

This is gonna be a completely different trip for me as the first 4 were to met, get to understand the lil' rabbit, and study for some DOS interview and learn all their forms... :) this trip will be geared to something much more worthwhile than wastin' our time on DOS bullshit. :D We're both excited. We're gonna be checking out the Home Depot in Shenyang as well as all the similar stores in her city, beatin' the pavement and looking at many new and old houses, and meeting Chinese workers who are in the rehab/finish trade.

I can't wait to get over and get my education into Chinese style home renovations and being able to buy ones way through the red tape :) No more seeing my baby and having to deal with P-3 and P-4 and interview rehearsals. It's time to make lots of lemonaide out of the lemons those dumbass DOS workers so graciously handed us. ;)

My eyes are wide open and I have lots to learn about business in China, at least I have a very capable business partner with some solid ties with some "right officials" to wine, dine, and sing with (should the need to do so arise). One problem I see...the DOS bastards haven't denied us yet :lol: Might jest have to go ahead and get married in China, this 2 month trip, or next trip when I go over for good to teach english and work in the "bona fide relationship family" business. ;) :)

Good luck in your research Ken, and in your visa quest, if the desire for a visa is even still there. We realize that there is a glimmer of hope for a visa for the lil' rabbit and our son, but how long is one supposed to obsess over a broken down governments decisions as to ones own future? We've already had over 10 months time of our bona fide relationship ripped away from us...shame on Uncle Scam and his cast of idiots. I don't intend on having to say "shame on me" for allowing Uncle Scam to attempt to rule my bona fide relationship any longer. :) Get out of our life DOS, take a hike.

tsap seui

Thank you, thank you very much... say the magic word, watch the rubber duck, you might win a prize."

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)