The "name change" game

Sunshine and I are now in China. Her passport is under her maiden name (call it "AB") and all of her documents with the US government, including her AP, EAD and SS card are under her married name (call it "ABC" with "C" being my last name).

We went to the police station here in an attempt to change her name, but the police officer in charge was clueless and looked at her as if she was reporting that aliens have landed. They certainly aren't accustomed to performing this task here. I know some others have had their spouses take their name and a modification of the passport was done at the consulate in the USA, however, that will have to happen after we return.

Now I worry about Sunshine's return flight since I don't know how to book her name. Should it be ABC and match her US documents? Or only AB to match her passport?

I think the bigger trouble will be convincing the airline to let her on the plane rather than the US officials letting her back into the country. If a person is refused entry for visa violations, the airline must pay a penalty plus fly her back to her country of origin at their expense, so airlines are understandably cautious.

We do have a certified copy of our marriage certificate with us.

Has anyone ever run into this situation before? Which name is recommended to use for the return ticket?

Also, has anyone done this here in China, or only at a consulate in the US?

ILS

1. go to a China Passport Office instead of the PSB, get an addendum about the name.

2. get the tickets back in her current passport name.

Sunshine and I are now in China. Her passport is under her maiden name (call it "AB") and all of her documents with the US government, including her AP, EAD and SS card are under her married name (call it "ABC" with "C" being my last name).

We went to the police station here in an attempt to change her name, but the police officer in charge was clueless and looked at her as if she was reporting that aliens have landed. They certainly aren't accustomed to performing this task here. I know some others have had their spouses take their name and a modification of the passport was done at the consulate in the USA, however, that will have to happen after we return.

Now I worry about Sunshine's return flight since I don't know how to book her name. Should it be ABC and match her US documents? Or only AB to match her passport?

I think the bigger trouble will be convincing the airline to let her on the plane rather than the US officials letting her back into the country. If a person is refused entry for visa violations, the airline must pay a penalty plus fly her back to her country of origin at their expense, so airlines are understandably cautious.

Has anyone ever run into this situation before? Which name is recommended to use for the return ticket?

ILS

The BEST solution is to amend her Chinese passport in China to show her married name. Sounds like the police don't handle passports. If Sunshine doesn't know where to go, I'm sure someone will be along shortly.

Her passport and ticket in the same (maiden) name is usually enough to get her on the plane. If not, show them (and explain) the AP form and marriage certificate. Call a supervisor over if you need to.

ILS

This is not a problem, her ticket needs to be in her passport name.

Show up at the airport early just in case you need to involve a supervisor with the airlines. If needed you can point out the pictures match and that she has adopted her husband's family name, but I doubt they will give it much thought.

When we were in the same situation we showed up early and had plenty of time to rest at the gate before our flight left. :D

FYI the name change ammendment normally requires a green card, or that is the requirement at the Chinese consulates in the US.

This is not a problem, her ticket needs to be in her passport name.

Show up at the airport early just in case you need to involve a supervisor with the airlines. If needed you can point out the pictures match and that she has adopted her husband's family name, but I doubt they will give it much thought.

When we were in the same situation we showed up early and had plenty of time to rest at the gate before our flight left. :o

FYI the name change ammendment normally requires a green card, or that is the requirement at the Chinese consulates in the US.

As a follow-up, we booked the flight in her passport name and arrived early at the airport as suggested by Lee and she had no problems.

The check-in agent looked at her AP paper and we had no problems, but most likely due of her carelessness in checking rather than due to her agreement with the different last name.

We did have a minor problem with her arrival into Seattle, because we only had 1 original AP form, not 2. We still can't understand how we would know that we need 2 for her arrival, but she's back now!