There is a stamp on the I-94 card that said "NYC 30 Employment Authorized September 27, 2003"  Is this the EAD?

Looks like a 3 mos EAD to me.. Is it literally what the stamp says?

The stamp is good for 90 days (the length of the K-1 Visa, since you

need to marry & file AOS within that time period). When you file AOS,

you need to file for a 1 year EAD card (completed form I-765 )

Unfortunately, experiences shows that employer don't really care about a EAD stamp. And that's their call.

They prefer a EAD card, or even better, a green card, as yuhui found out on one occasion

Guest Long_strider

You can apply for the EAD before AOS, but it will only be effective for the time period of the K-1 (90 days). You will have to re-apply for the EAD at the time of AOS and pay the additional fee.

We simply hurried up the AOS process and applied shortly after her entry and our mairriage. We received the EAD card in the afternoon of the same day we filed for AOS, but you need to tell them that you wish the EAD card issued that day, otherwise they will process it much slower and send it to you in the mail in 6-8 weeks.

Mi.

• 2 months later...
You can apply for the EAD before AOS, but it will only be effective for the time period of the K-1 (90 days).  You will have to re-apply for the EAD at the time of AOS and pay the additional fee.

We simply hurried up the AOS process and applied shortly after her entry and our mairriage. We received the EAD card in the afternoon of the same day we filed for AOS, but you need to tell them that you wish the EAD card issued that day, otherwise they will process it much slower and send it to you in the mail in 6-8 weeks.

Mi.

Hello, Long_strider:

Your experience is great, but I think both my finace & I misunderstood for our first reading about your instruction to get EAD first than AOS, as we sent our application last week, but we will do AOS filing in Nov right after our wedding.(we thought this can get EAD first than AOS)

One question: You said you got EAD the same day you filed AOS, is that EAD a one year one?? you filed AOS,EAD together, since you pointed out the requirement for a certain day to get EAD, so you got EAD first before handing AOS appliaction form?? Do I understand correctly this time??

Your prompt reply will be appreciated

Sally

Guest Long_strider

Yuging enter the US on in late June, we married in during the first week of July and applied for AOS on July 22 at the local BCIS office, in person.

On the same day July 22 we applied for three things.

The AOS application

Advanced Parole to allow her to visit China, and

The Employment Authorization Card.

The BCIS office in Portland, Oregon indicated that we could obtain the EAD card that same afternoon or we could wait and it would be mailed to us in a few weeks. We decided to return that afternoon and obtain the card. The EAD picture ID card is good for one year.

I understand that local BCIS offices around the US have different procedures. Some allow you to obtain the EAD card on the same day, others will not allow you to do this and you must wait for the card in the mail.

It is my understanding that if you attempt to obtain and EAD card before marriage, it will only be good for a period of 90 days while the K-1 visa is in force. After the expiration of the k-1 visa, then the EAD card is no longer valid and you will need to re-apply after your marriage.

So we chose to wait until after our marriage to avoid paying the cost for two EAD applications.

Hope this is helpful.

Long_strider

• 3 weeks later...

Now I have applied for EAD for my wife Ping and our daughter Jing-jing and we have gone to Birmingham and gotten their fingerprints taken and photos. (Isn't that a cool machine?!) Because they are K3/K4 their EAD cards are going to be good for one year. I sure am looking forward to getting these cards so we can get their Social Security numbers and then driver's license.