Needs Answers on bringing wife to USA

I have a question. My wife is Chinese and living in China. We married 1 year ago May 4, 2007. On March 4, 2008 the USA visa center sent the documents to Guangzhou's American embassy.

I am being told that it is taking 12 weeks for these papers to land in Guangzhou. Has anyone else been given this time frame or gone through this process?

From the time the paperwork leaves the visa center, what do you feel is the time frame before she can get called for the interview in Guangzhou.

Also from that point after the interview how long will it be before she can actually travel out of china?

I have a question. My wife is Chinese and living in China. We married 1 year ago May 4, 2007. On March 4, 2008 the USA visa center sent the documents to Guangzhou's American embassy.

I am being told that it is taking 12 weeks for these papers to land in Guangzhou. Has anyone else been given this time frame or gone through this process?

From the time the paperwork leaves the visa center, what do you feel is the time frame before she can get called for the interview in Guangzhou.

Also from that point after the interview how long will it be before she can actually travel out of china?

Welcome to Candle Henry.

Check out various member's timelines and it'll give you a good idea of the time frames you're looking for. If you add yours it'll help also.

As far as when she can leave China? As soon as she has the visa in hand she can get outta town. :)

Good luck. :)

If I may attempt a direct answer (and I am no lawyer/expert!), it should not generally take 12 weeks, but only 3-4 weeks (or less), between the case leaving NVC and arriving at the consulate.

For them to pay attention to it, and notify you about the interview seems currently about 4-6 months, assuming there are no complications.

If you grow impatient, you can try emailing the consulate from their website. However, my experience was that despite the drivel about 5-7 business days, they will totally ignore you until your case is noticed and becomes active. Wasting 54 RMB on calling the Visa Unit likely won't do you much good either. If they know anything much more than you do, they don't seem to share it.

Good luck, Henry. Talking about this just gets me worked up again. I think that if you take 000's of $$ from people, and offer the kind of "customer service" these folks offer, you ought to be put out of business, somehow.

Yes, 9/11 was awful, and relations between the governments may not always be the most cordial, but it shouldn't be an excuse to subject people to the arrogance and mystery that surrounds this consulate.

Guest Rob & Jin

If I may attempt a direct answer (and I am no lawyer/expert!), it should not generally take 12 weeks, but only 3-4 weeks (or less), between the case leaving NVC and arriving at the consulate. really since when ?

For them to pay attention to it, and notify you about the interview seems currently about 4-6 months, assuming there are no complications.

If you grow impatient, you can try emailing the consulate from their website. However, my experience was that despite the drivel about 5-7 business days, they will totally ignore you until your case is noticed and becomes active. Wasting 54 RMB on calling the Visa Unit likely won't do you much good either. If they know anything much more than you do, they don't seem to share it.call DOS- 202-663-1225-1-0

Good luck, Henry. Talking about this just gets me worked up again. I think that if you take 000's of $$ from people, and offer the kind of "customer service" these folks offer, you ought to be put out of business, somehow.

Yes, 9/11 was awful, and relations between the governments may not always be the most cordial, but it shouldn't be an excuse to subject people to the arrogance and mystery that surrounds this consulate.

If I may attempt a direct answer (and I am no lawyer/expert!), it should not generally take 12 weeks, but only 3-4 weeks (or less), between the case leaving NVC and arriving at the consulate.

If you grow impatient, you can try emailing the consulate from their website. However, my experience was that despite the drivel about 5-7 business days, they will totally ignore you until your case is noticed and becomes active. Wasting 54 RMB on calling the Visa Unit likely won't do you much good either. If they know anything much more than you do, they don't seem to share it.

As Rob infers, not sure about the info you are providing here ???

Leaving the NVC and 'arriving' at the Consulate is a very broad term/definition.

It leaves the NVC and the e-file arrives in a couple of days, wherein one's file is 'loaded'.

Then the hard file will arrive in a few more days at China Customs, and spend a period of time there, getting cleared.

Then it will leave Customs, and sit in the GUZ warehouse for a period of time, which has varied, but has been long for many of us. Then it will be 'opened' and the P-3 issued. Then it will be another wait for 'eligible' for interview and the P-4 mailed and interview date generated.

Also, not sure of the context or your definition of them "paying attention to it" ???

Last, many here have e-mailed GUZ and have had responses in return with pertinent information. Moreover, the DOS number that Rob provided in his response is the best source of info, in near real-time, once the case file has been logged in at GUZ.

I would suggest you read through the various visa type, time lines in the Circling Guz forum and also some of the FAQ's info as well as several of the various threads within the two main visa forums.

There are many long term members herein, who have had a lot of personal/contemporary experience in this regard and with respect to the process. Again, look at some similar timelines here at CFL in the Circling Guz forum or within a specific member's profile page.

Not sure what visa type you have filed, but good luck on your endeavor !!

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

Regarding really since when ?, perhaps I should only speak of my own case. So my answer is since my case.

That case was sent from NVC on Nov 15th, 2007. Since the consulate's background check on my spouse was completed on Dec 8th, 2008, it seems fair to assume that the case arrived within 3-4 weeks.

Edited by Peter&Miao (see edit history)

Regarding really since when ?, perhaps I should only speak of my own case. So my answer is since my case.

That case was sent from NVC on Nov 15th, 2007. Since the consulate's background check on my spouse was completed on Dec 8th, 2008, it seems fair to assume that the case arrived within 3-4 weeks.

First, I think you mean to write, December 8, 2007, and not 2008 ??

Next, how were you able to determine that your spouse's background check was [completed] on December 8th, only a little more than three weeks after exiting the NVC ??

I would have to opine that 100% of the rest of us, were still in China Customs, or maybe at the warehouse at Shamian Island, and not even close to having our files marked 'opened' at GUZ, let alone having the background check 'completed' ??

Again, could it be possible you are mistaken about some of the dates/facts being presented here ??

This is why most of us have timelines to share and compare. :crazy:

Regarding "Also, not sure of the context or your definition of them "paying attention to it" ??? ", perhaps they are "paying attention to it" after the periods in DHL mail sacks in the customs and consulate warehouses are completed, and an employee sets eyes on the paperwork, and takes the first action on the case?

Having, all too belatedly, followed your suggestion to read through the various visa type, time lines in the Circling Guz forum, and (oh, the shame of it) admittedly not having submitted to computer analysis, the durations subtended by subtracting the NVC OUT column from the P-3 column, it looks like "4-6 months" was a pretty fair estimate.

I beg leave to gratify you by noting that this is positively the last contribution I will make to these forums.

However, before leaving, sir, may I suggest that you check the dictionary on the meanings of the words "infer" and "imply" since, regretfully, you appear to me among those people that cain't rightly tell the difference.

Regarding "Also, not sure of the context or your definition of them "paying attention to it" ??? ", perhaps they are "paying attention to it" after the periods in DHL mail sacks in the customs and consulate warehouses are completed, and an employee sets eyes on the paperwork, and takes the first action on the case?

Having, all too belatedly, followed your suggestion to read through the various visa type, time lines in the Circling Guz forum, and (oh, the shame of it) admittedly not having submitted to computer analysis, the durations subtended by subtracting the NVC OUT column from the P-3 column, it looks like "4-6 months" was a pretty fair estimate.

I beg leave to gratify you by noting that this is positively the last contribution I will make to these forums.

However, before leaving, sir, may I suggest that you check the dictionary on the meanings of the words "infer" and "imply" since, regretfully, you appear to me among those people that cain't rightly tell the difference.

Peter, hey ! That seemed rather harsh, but if yer buttons were punched, I'd happily apologize on Roger's behalf.

There are several black holes in this process, that seem totally untouchable -

1. clearing china customs to opening the case for processing. per the DOS website, consulate mail is limited to the AMOUNT per month (maybe per GUZ website? I know I read it 2 days ago). once it clears customs, it goes into some queueing system, FIFO apparently (conjecture) , so it will be pulled out of the warehouse anywhere from 2 to 6 months later. Then the case is opened at GUZ.

2. Opened at GUZ to P3 being sent out. Unknown what happens here, but best guess (and my guess is POOR, at best!) the file is reviewed, a lot of other jiggerypokery occurs, then a P-3 is mailed out to yer lass.

a lot of this process is covered in the ezfaq - i was reviewing it this evening for something else - take a look at http://candleforlove.com/FAQ/CFL_EZ_FAQ.htm - the title is misleading, but it IS exhaustive in scope.

Seriously, if you got offended, I do beg of you not to push off. This is a good place to be, for you and yours... I mean that from the bottom my heart .

One thing to note - whilst the information on CFL in the forums is VAST, it's hard to find, exactly. The search engine is quite basic, and I learned that if you go to The Google , and enter 'site:candleforlove.com <<search terms>>' you get a whole lot o stuff that you can't get with the CFL search engine.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

PS to Roger - K|ss my @ss!!

Peter, hey ! That seemed rather harsh, but if yer buttons were punched, I'd happily apologize on Roger's behalf.

There are several black holes in this process, that seem totally untouchable -

1. clearing china customs to opening the case for processing. per the DOS website, consulate mail is limited to the AMOUNT per month (maybe per GUZ website? I know I read it 2 days ago). once it clears customs, it goes into some queueing system, FIFO apparently (conjecture) , so it will be pulled out of the warehouse anywhere from 2 to 6 months later. Then the case is opened at GUZ.

2. Opened at GUZ to P3 being sent out. Unknown what happens here, but best guess (and my guess is POOR, at best!) the file is reviewed, a lot of other jiggerypokery occurs, then a P-3 is mailed out to yer lass.

a lot of this process is covered in the ezfaq - i was reviewing it this evening for something else - take a look at http://candleforlove.com/FAQ/CFL_EZ_FAQ.htm - the title is misleading, but it IS exhaustive in scope.

Seriously, if you got offended, I do beg of you not to push off. This is a good place to be, for you and yours... I mean that from the bottom my heart .

One thing to note - whilst the information on CFL in the forums is VAST, it's hard to find, exactly. The search engine is quite basic, and I learned that if you go to The Google , and enter 'site:candleforlove.com <<search terms>>' you get a whole lot o stuff that you can't get with the CFL search engine.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

PS to Roger - K|ss my @ss!!

First, not sure what was "harsh" about my response to his post !! :crazy: B)

Next, what is your 'sweet' comment all about !!?? <_<

Hmmm, maybe this is a late hour blood alcohol content issue !!?? ;)

Real nice !! ;)

First, not sure what was "harsh" about my response to his post !! :crazy: B)

Next, what is your 'sweet' comment all about !!?? <_<

Hmmm, maybe this is a late hour blood alcohol content issue !!?? ;)

Real nice !! ;)

First - beats me - I thought you weren't being harsh at all.

Next - hey ! take a socratic approach when you reread it.

No blood alcohol here, O Roger...

I simply thought to explain a bit and apologize on yer behalf (even though I dinna ask yer permission so to do), as Peter seems righteously peeved at yer words to him. I may be a bit off, it may be both you AND Rob... hmmmmm

His lass has her visa (recently) and he went through h3ll to get it, so I can understand (a bit) why he might go off on something like this. But, I don't understand it fully...

If you are labelling my PS to you as 'sweet' - na - sorry, it was just a flood of righteous indignation coming through - thankfully, it had passed through me, similar to some recent flatulence.

On a different note, if I've stepped in something I should not have, well, I apologize.... It just seemed odd that a newish member would have such an extreme reaction...

Oh - for future reference? You can tell I'm drunk when I misspell more than 20 percent of what I am writing..

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)