USCIS genius

Well, our 10 year green card was approved back on March 16 according to the online status. But we never received it. So today I called customer service. They told me I would have to fill out the I-90 Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

So now I'm filling it out. The instructions say you have to check the box that says if you never received the card, check box b, "My authorized card was never received" and you don't have to pay the $290.00 fee. Fine. But here's what really floors me. The instructions say that when they receive your I-90, and you checked box #2, they will check to see if the card was returned to them and if it was not returned to them, they will reject your I-90. You then are required to submit another I-90, check box a, "My card was lost, stolen, or destroyed" and pay the $290.00 fee.

Now is that stupid or what? It would seem it would be common sense that if a card was sent to someone and returned to them as undeliverable, they would at least make some attempt to check and see why it was not delivered. Say perhaps call the phone number they ask you for again and again and again on all the forms.

I wonder how many months we'll have to wait for them to process the first I-90, reject it, then process the new I-90. I'm looking at the processing times at the California Service Center and for the I-90 they are only on August 2007. For the I-751 they are on October. So I'm guessing that it will take more than a year for them to process our I-90 if they reject the first one and make us resubmit. And here we are sitting on non-refundable airplane tickets to go back to China in October. I'm speechless.

Edited by yave20b (see edit history)

This surprises you ? :o

Yes actually it does. Because I never imagined they could ever top themselves for the absolute stupidity they have shown for everything else. But obviously they must have scientists working around the clock at USCIS to come of with ever more incredibly stupid things. No doubt, if there was a Nobel Prize for stupidity, the USCIS rocket scientists would win hands down every time.

Edited by yave20b (see edit history)

Take a look around this site, others have had the same problem - it seems making an INFOPASS appointment was useful.

Good Luck !

This surprises you ? :blink:

Yes actually it does. Because I never imagined they could ever top themselves for the absolute stupidity they have shown for everything else. But obviously they must have scientists working around the clock at USCIS to come of with ever more incredibly stupid things. No doubt, if there was a Nobel Prize for stupidity, the USCIS rocket scientists would win hands down every time.

First off, I gotta say I am terribly sorry to see this happen to you.

The Nobel Prize for stupidity was given to the hard working mad scientists from the State Department in their Guangzhou looney bin location. The USCIS rocket scientists are merely "bottle rocket" scientists while the Guangzhou gang of rocket scientists are of the full blown ICBM "Inner Continental Bowel Movement" type rockets.

Again, sorry about your situation, but when ya get shit on by Uncle Sam or you find him trying to poke you in the rear with that lil' water spout of his...ya just gotta laugh.

Just be thankful you've gotten to live in america for a few years with your wife. ;) I know, I know... that doesn't help any...but it sounded poetic and profound :o

tsap seui

Yes I'm trying to laugh. But its getting harder and harder to laugh. I'm not sure about the InfoPass thing for this. Reading older posts here and on other sites there was a time you could use the InfoPass if your card was stolen. But always cards that were never received in the first place had to go in the past, and still have to go now, to the Service Center processing your I-751. The newer instructions however are still not clear about what to do for having it stolen. In fact the new instructions just completely avoid that scenario altogether. So I'm faced with the big problem. Do I submit first as never received, wait 8 months for them to reject it if the card was not returned to USCIS, then resubmit again? Or do I just submit first time as having been stolen, and give them their $370 fee.

At this point I only want to take my wife to China to see her parents in October so I want to see if they can stamp her passport someway to show she is still legal. On one other website someone with the same situation said the local office will not stamp the passport if you send it in as "never received" and not enclose the fee. Man this is a real catch 22 for us. What to do?

There is another step in the process after the approval for the production of the card. Until this happens the card is not mailed.

I'd suggest you confirm the address on the I-751 is correct and then make an Infopass appointment to asked why you have seen the approval, but not the card production order.

There is another step in the process after the approval for the production of the card. Until this happens the card is not mailed.

I'd suggest you confirm the address on the I-751 is correct and then make an Infopass appointment to asked why you have seen the approval, but not the card production order.

I'm not sure what the other step involved would be. I checked the "Case Status Online" every day for my case and back on March 16 the online status said they had sent an order to have my wife's GC produced. Then the next week on March 24 the online status said they had sent us a notice that they have approved the "CRI89 PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS". Now the online status also said "Please follow any instructions on the notice" and I'm wondering about what instructions might have been there. But we've never received either the GC or the notice. I did verify my address with customer service this morning. I'm looking at making an InfoPass appointment about this crap.

I don't know, but maybe file for Advance Parole [i-131]? Seems like you should be able to get the filing fee waived, get the infopass appointment and not have to eat the airfare.

I sent in the I-90 today. Later I will make an InfoPass appointment and see if we can have her passport stamped. I'm just curious, do most people get two letters (1 for the GC and 1 for the approval letter)? Or do both come in the same envelope. It seems strange that if one gets two separate letters after approval for the 10 year GC that both would get lost.

I don't know, but maybe file for Advance Parole [i-131]? Seems like you should be able to get the filing fee waived, get the infopass appointment and not have to eat the airfare.

I sent in the I-90 today. Later I will make an InfoPass appointment and see if we can have her passport stamped. I'm just curious, do most people get two letters (1 for the GC and 1 for the approval letter)? Or do both come in the same envelope. It seems strange that if one gets two separate letters after approval for the 10 year GC that both would get lost.

There are 2 letters and the mail room at the various processing centers is strange at best. I have heard of the green card arriving before the welcome letter as well as both arriving the same day with different postmark dates.

Hopefully you will have a kind and helpful person at the Infopass appointment.

• 2 weeks later...

Any movement? Hope all is well with you !

No nothing. We called customer service and they told us pretty much nothing except to tell us that there are a lot of people with our situation (never received the green cards that were supposedly sent) and to send in an I-90 specifying we have not received our green card. We sent that about 2 weeks ago. We also have an "InfoPass" appointment this Friday to see if my wife can get her passport stamped so that we can go back to China in October since the processing time for the I-90 is 8 months right now at the California Service Center where our I-751 was processed.

I'm still very skeptical that either the green card or the welcome letter were even sent. I can understand the odds that one of the two letters might have been lost in the mail but I find it very hard to believe that both coming from different places are lost. The post office seems to have no trouble at all delivering tons of "junk mail" with my wife's name on it to our address. I can't believe they would lose two important pieces of mail coming from the USCIS.

I'm really starting to think that the USCIS computer system is so screwed up that their system is showing our stuff processed and sent when in fact it probably is not processed and sent. Doing a Google search on the I-90 I've found tons of people in our exact situation all within the past 6 months. We try to keep our faith that this will all be resolved quickly but I'm afraid the USCIS is so screwed up right now that deep down inside I doubt this will be resolved within the next year.