extending the visa

hello,

I wonder how do I extend my chinese tourist visa once I'm in China? I got 1-year-multi entri-visa however it notes that for each visit I can only stay for 30 days. I need to stay much longer than that.

If I overstay ,will anybody find out easily? Will the overstay have very bad impact on my next visa application in the future? Of course, I'd love to extend my visa in a legal way there if it's not too much hassle.

Can I ask for a longer stay at the custom?

I also heard that once I get to China, I need to go to the local police department to register for the stay, is it a must?

any tips? thanks a lot.

Edited by Aeris (see edit history)

hello,

I wonder how do I extend my chinese tourist visa once I'm in China? I got 1-year-multi entri-visa however it notes that for each visit I can only stay for 30 days. I need to stay much longer than that.

If I overstay ,will anybody find out easily? Will the overstay have very bad impact on my next visa application in the future? Of course, I'd love to extend my visa in a legal way there if it's not too much hassle.

Can I ask for a longer stay at the custom?

I also heard that once I get to China, I need to go to the local police department to register for the stay, is it a must?

any tips? thanks a lot.

You can apply for a temporary resident permit, but you'll need living quarters. I not know yer situation or timeline, but here's an easy scenario:

1. move in with your girlfriend/wife.

2. go to the police district office, apply for temporary residency.

Please note your Chinese VISA will be suspended or revoked (depending on the end-date on the residency permit), and you'll have to apply for Chinese Exit Visa when you're ready to depart out of China.

If you don't wanna do any of this, then I suggest you transit back and forth between China and Hong Kong every 30 days. (Or China and South Korea, China and Singapore, China and Jakarta, Indonesia, China and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)

{Edit} - WHO ARE YOU ? Your prior posts lead me to believe you received a 2 year GreenCard last year.

Are you Chinese PRC person ? Do you hold Chinese Passport with USA GreenCard ? -- WHO ARE YOU ?

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Thanks for your reply.

It sounds like overstaying is not even a choice. I didn't know it's so strict. Trasit in and out of china is not an option for me.

My condition is actually about my baby who is 3 month old. Her visa is 30 day stay each visit. My husband's visa is 60 day stay. I'm on greencard so I have my chinese passport therefore i stay as long as I want to.

The problem is that I want to let my baby stay in China with my parents for about 11 month or so, me and my husband will be back to the states shortly after we visit.

ps,

anybody survived from an overstaying? anybody extended a visa for a baby? i really need some help.

thank YOU.

Thanks for your reply.

My condition is actually about my baby who is 3 month old. Her visa is 30 day stay each visit. My husband's visa is 60 day stay. I'm on greencard so I have my chinese passport therefore i stay as long as I want to.

I have a sense that if you go to the police office in your parent's district, you'll be able to get a temporary residence permit for up to 1 year for your baby. You might want to have your mother or father go to the office on Saturday, in person, and ASK.

Good Luck !

On one of my trips, when my visa was expiring, I was able to get another visa from within the hometown... a 'friend of a friend of a friend' who was in the police arranged it... they were willing to give me a three month visa.

I was allowed to extend my visa this way as well...but I think my situation was a little different.

I also have an L visa. However, at the time I applied, which was at the Chinese Consulate in Osaka, Japan, my husband was with me and told them that I wanted to stay in China for quite a long time. We showed our marriage certificate and filled out some forms, he showed his China ID and passport, etc. I was then given a single-entry visa valid for 6 months after entry. They said that I could renew it for however many times I wanted once I was in China.

I was studying in Beijing, but the Entry and Exit Bureau would not do it since my husband's hukou is in Inner Mongolia. So I went to Inner Mongolia and had it done no problems. I did have to be registered to do this, though. The woman there told me that usually it takes them 3 days to do it and I can only apply for the extension 2 weeks within the expiration of the visa. However, they rushed it for us and we got it done the next day (since it was a friend of my father in law) since we had a train to Beijing the next day. They also told me that the visa extensions are usually for 1 year, but because of the Olympics they could only extend the visa for 6 more months.

One point of caution, though. When they extended my visa, "entries" was 0 (Zero). That means if you leave China, like my husband and I wanted to do (go to Japan and come back) you will have to apply for another visa before you can come back into China.

My mom has the one year multiple entry visa that only allows stays of 30 days each. However, my mom never intended to live here, so it was no problem. Maybe you could get a new visa that is more convenient?

This may not be a good time to be trying to extent your Visa....

Mood turns ugly in Beijing

"Crackdown on visitors and residents

Chinese authorities are cracking down on entry visas. Reports are circulating among U.S. businessmen that many companies are starting to suffer from a restriction on business visas for legitimate employees.

Every foreign freelancer or independent contractor I know here is looking for a sponsor, as they¡¯ve been warned their current ¨C and legitimate ¨C business visas are not likely to be renewed. Even a college student whom NBC agreed to take on for the summer has had to cut short his internship, because he won¡¯t be allowed to extend his student visa beyond August 1; extending a visa was previously a common practice"

of course, one can go down to HK to get another visa... but this may be a logistical and financial headache for some.

That is true, but if the child is going to say for such a long time, just going there once might be better than trying to do something else? Especially if they aren't renewing or extending visas recently.

Instead of extending a visa,

I would look into what it takes to get a temporary residence permit.

A Residency permit 'trumps' a visa, any day, any time.

Good Luck !