at the interview....

As Chinese, I second this observation. The fact that most of Chinese Americans tend to vote for Clinton over Obama is a reflection of this. Personally, I have both good and experiences with African Americans, just as any other peoples. I always believe people are all the same deep down.

Yes, keep in mind many Chinese have a hard time with African Americans, they are just not used to having to deal with persons of other races, so in many cases tend to distrust many that are very much different than them.

Skin color prejudice runs deep in China, dark skin tends to be associated with country side uncivilized people, and light skin tends to be associated with upper class civilized city people.

I swear, if one is gonna get a blue or white slip - come on - dontcha think it's MOSTLY up to the contents of the paperwork that arrives in the packet TO the consulate? Some one reviews it there, makes internal notes, and the VO mostly has a good idea PRIOR to the actual interview. So come the time of the actual interview with yer lass, the VO already has some notion of pass/fail, and will steer the questions along one of those two paths.

If yer paperwork isn't in order, I'm sorry, you ain't gonna get a chance to jump the pond, irrespective of which VO is used for the interview. I know it's mostly conjecture on my part, but I had been funding some private research the last few months, and thats mostly what it boils down (to).

FYI, the VOs are ONLY supposed to issue a white slip because there is hardcore evidence that fraud exists, the petitioner does not meet the financial obligations, and/or the beneficiary does not meet the qualifications based on the list of questions on the paperwork (DS-230 I think).

They are NOT supposed to deny based on their gut feelings because a true relationship is impossible to judge by anyone.

After the denial they are supposed to send the petition back to the states as soon as possible and not sit on it or deep six it.

Now maybe you can tell me why after a year and a half I have not heard word one as to the petition being sent back to the US. The DOS said they sent the petition back stateside last February but my wife has not got the letter indicating this.

Plain and simple, the VO tripped my wife up at the interview with needless BS questions and intimidation.

chilton747, You bring up some very good points. Aren't blues for minor things that can be resolved with more evidence [overcome]? Not as a lead up to a White after supplying overcome on three occasions for different "issues". If I might ask did you and/or your wife get a copy of the rejection letter GUZ sends back to DHS?

chilton747, You bring up some very good points. Aren't blues for minor things that can be resolved with more evidence [overcome]? Not as a lead up to a White after supplying overcome on three occasions for different "issues". If I might ask did you and/or your wife get a copy of the rejection letter GUZ sends back to DHS?

We haven't got any letter. Nothing............nada!! You are right about the blue slips however sometimes they put the couple in AP and AP saying they need more time to look at the case. Just how much time is the question.

really wasn't trying to stir up a hornets nest here with my inquiries...and i know the reputation of the 001....personally, i was just trying to get a feel for how many are being interviewed at any given time...and before this, i have never heard of the "Black Pearl"...with the exception of the Depp movie....is just my gal is gettin closer to the day and i think is beginning to get some butterflies thinkin about this day...i know her papers are in order and everything is on the up and up....but if you think about it, is one of the most important moments in her (their) life to stand before the VO....so i can kinda understand what she is going through....and then when you throw in the stories that fly around the 001....well, just doesn't help matters much....but thanks for all the input...is much appreciated....steve
Unfortunately, perceptions is greater than reality. If she has a fear and perception of a real 'black pearl', help her accept the fact that she may very well get a black lady. I think the best way to help her deal with it is practice. Have you guys been practicing doing the interview? We did mock interviews together several times so that she was very familiar and comfortable with the routine of saying good morning, answering questions, etc. The night before the interview, when we were at Mr Yangs, a few of the ladies were talking about 'the black pearl'. Jie asked me 'what if I there really is a black pearl and she is my VO'. I told her, just do the interview the same way we practiced it, and you'll be fine. She did get that VO, responded just like we practiced, and fortunately she passed without a hitch.