AOS question

I just found out that we must submit my wife's birth certificate with translation when we do the I-485. My wife said GZ took her birth certificate during her visa interview. Did they do that to anyone else? Now I need her dad (in China) to try to get a duplicate one for my wife before I do the paper work for AOS. :o

Guest enight

yes, Tony, GZ takes everyone's birth certificate.

and.. usually you better to prepare at least 3 copies of them (ceritification office does it for you, the copy looks same as orginal one),

for marriage (some States don't require), for AOS, for bringing her families over to visit you... etc

Guest enight

the birth certificate doesn't need translation, because when you go to Chinese local cerificate office, and tell them you need it for visa to America, they would automaticlly translate it into English and attach it in the file, and makes a special certificate paper for saying the translation is legal too,

it will cost $40 for a birth certificate, but only $2.5 for each copy you ask them to provide to you.

Tony, we had to go through the same thing. GZ took Li's birth certificate and the translation. We obtained another through relatives in China before filing for AOS. The agency that provided the birth certificate also provided the translation.

Guest bbridges51

I agree with Don. I made sure Mia brought three copies of her interpreted, notarized birth certificates for future use. We did them same for her son's certificates and for her school records.

You just never know when they'll be useful.

Brian

Just found out from Li that her relatives were able to obtain the official copy of her "birth records" from the local office of an agency called "Gong Zheng Chu". This was also where we initially obtained police records, marriage documents, police reports, etc, etc. Maybe your wife's relatives could check at her local office. :huh: :P <_<

Guest bbridges51

don't forget that when your beloved becomes a citizen and applies for an American passport, she'll need a birth certificate as well. Ya just never know.

B

Guest blsqueaky

Hello everyone. I know that when we got married in GZ, she had to show her birth certificate, and that the office downstairs in one of the government building, they gave me 3 Chinese/English translations of her birth dertificate in nice folders. Right now she is holding one, and I have 2, oh, and they are also notorized.

Hope that this helps.