Two Passports

Hello Gang

Got a questions, My daughter now has a US Passport. The adoption came through, I took her documents, Greencard, chinese birthcertificate and chinese passport to the US postal and filled out and application. They sent us a passport in 6 days, but they sent back her greencard and she still has her chinese passport. Now I dont want her to have dual citizenship and from what I understand, china and the US does not recognize this, so what do I do with her chinese passport? She will never use it again, nor do I want her to bring it with her when she goes to china this summer. Should we turn it over the chinese athorities or drop it off when she goes back to china? For the sake of jobs and possible future careers, I dont want there to be any question of her citizenship.

Carl

U sure about that Lee???

Pretty sure, you can make your own call based on the Babel Fish translation of the Chicago Consulates page for visas: Tourist/Family Visit (L) Visa

Documents to be included with application:

1. Your valid & actual passport. The passport must have at least six (6) months validity left before expiration and at least one blank page left in it.
  2. One completed Visa Application Form With one additional passport photo (black & white or color is acceptable).

3. An applicant born in China who applies for a Chinese visa with a new foreign passport is required to submit his /her Chinese passport or last foreign passport with a Chinese visa.
  4. To apply for a Multiple Entry (L) Visa, a written explanation for the purpose of visit is required.

As China does not allow dual citizenship there is about a 99.9% chance the Chinese passport will be voided during this process.

Once you get a Chinese visa in the US passport you will want to keep the Chinese passport for evidence of birth in China if needed again.

My wife has recently become a USC. Two weeks ago she went to the Chinese Consulate office here in Houston to get her VISA because she is going home next week. She brought along her Chinese Passport to surrender, however they only requested that she make a copy of the bio page and turn that in the copy along with the standard VISA application page.

So there you have it¡­ She will get to keep her Chinese passport. I think in the eyes of the Chinese Government, born Chinese, always Chinese! :rolleyes:

My wife has recently become a USC. Two weeks ago she went to the Chinese Consulate office here in Houston to get her VISA because she is going home next week. She brought along her Chinese Passport to surrender, however they only requested that she make a copy of the bio page and turn that in the copy along with the standard VISA application page.

So there you have it¡­ She will get to keep her Chinese passport. I think in the eyes of the Chinese Government, born Chinese, always Chinese! :rolleyes:

But would she be able to use it?

Carl,

Same thing happened to us last year. They sent her 10yr GC back along with her US passport. Still have it and don't know what to do with it. Kellie's adopton was this past November and we sent her passport back for name change and they sent her old one back with several holes punched in the bottom across where the numbers are, No charge foe the name change. When we were in the Chinese Consulate in Chicago last spring some people had the corners cut off of the Chinese visa, but Ella and Kellie's was intact.. Just make sure you take it with you to the Conuslate before you travel and they will give it back.