Olympic torch

Torch concludes topsy-turvy tour of S.F.

SAN FRANCISCO - The Olympic torch has concluded its topsy-turvy tour of San Francisco, and officials say the closing ceremony will be at San Francisco International Airport.

Mayor Gavin Newsom tells The Associated Press that canceling the planned closing ceremony at the San Francisco Bay waterfront was part of the contingency plan if it appeared too difficult to safeguard the torch and its runners.

The ceremony had been slated to take place Wednesday at Justin Herman Plaza, where thousands had gathered to support and protest the Beijing-bound flame's visit to the city.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that right now a bunch of morons are scaling the golden gate bridge and hanging giant banners that say "One World One Dream" "Free Tibet".

I doubt they will still be there the day after tomorrow though.

Hopefully those idiots will be in Jail in a couple of hours.

Besides... if they believe in "One World" then wouldn't dividing a country be counter-productive to that goal? :P ;)

IMHO I agree with you !! :P

After watching the terrible spectacle that has unfolded in Great Britain and France in the past 24 hours, I am sure the Village Idiot crew in San Francisco, will be even more emboldened now, when it arrives there later. These are the a..holes who give the rest of us who live here in the Golden State, such a bad rap.

This episode this morning on the GG Bridge is just a precursor to what is sure to follow in the days ahead.

This is just a highly orchestrated attempt at political opportunism on the part of many radical groups on the far end of the spectrum. Lawlessness and anarchy is unacceptable, no matter what the political agenda.

It sickened me to see the photos of that ¡®brave¡¯ male protester trying to rip the torch from the hands of the little Chinese female amputee torch-bearer, riding in her wheelchair today. I was then thrilled to see the security force that surrounded her, pummel that guy into the ground. B)

Just like we (for the most part) keep politics out of this forum, they sure as hell should stay out of the Olympics too !! :P

Perhaps it depends upon one's perspective and how much, if any, kool-aid they drank. Should this argument also apply to Chinese protests against Japan? I'm sure the Tibetans and Taiwanese hold a different position.

Guest Rob & Jin

Interesting that right now a bunch of morons are scaling the golden gate bridge and hanging giant banners that say "One World One Dream" "Free Tibet".

Besides... if they believe in "One World" then wouldn't dividing a country be counter-productive to that goal? :P :P

IMHO I agree with you !! ;)

After watching the terrible spectacle that has unfolded in Great Britain and France in the past 24 hours, I am sure the Village Idiot crew in San Francisco, will be even more emboldened now, when it arrives there later. These are the a..holes who give the rest of us who live here in the Golden State, such a bad rap.

This episode this morning on the GG Bridge is just a precursor to what is sure to follow in the days ahead.

This is just a highly orchestrated attempt at political opportunism on the part of many radical groups on the far end of the spectrum. Lawlessness and anarchy is unacceptable, no matter what the political agenda.

It sickened me to see the photos of that ¡®brave¡¯ male protester trying to rip the torch from the hands of the little Chinese female amputee torch-bearer, riding in her wheelchair today. I was then thrilled to see the security force that surrounded her, pummel that guy into the ground. :ph34r:

Just like we (for the most part) keep politics out of this forum, they sure as hell should stay out of the Olympics too !! B)

Perhaps it depends upon one's perspective and how much, if any, kool-aid they drank. Should this argument also apply to Chinese protests against Japan? I'm sure the Tibetans and Taiwanese hold a different position.

:ok: :ok:

Edited by Rob & Jin (see edit history)

Besides... if they believe in "One World" then wouldn't dividing a country be counter-productive to that goal? B) :P

IMHO I agree with you !! :P

It sickened me to see the photos of that ¡®brave¡¯ male protester trying to rip the torch from the hands of the little Chinese female amputee torch-bearer, riding in her wheelchair today. I was then thrilled to see the security force that surrounded her, pummel that guy into the ground. :ph34r:

Just like we (for the most part) keep politics out of this forum, they sure as hell should stay out of the Olympics too !! :ok:

Yes, I agree, we must 'never forget' what happened to Chinese civilians in Nanking and elsewere in China, from the mid-30's to the end of WWII !! :ok:

Yes the run is awesome. It is a great honor to be in it.To bad is only one day in USA.

My son carried the torch in the 1996 relay in Minnesota, he dedicated his run to his mother who was dying of cancer. His school bought the torch for him. Was a great honor for him.

Is to bad the Olympics have to become political. Should always be just about the games and spirit of the athletes and competition

Paul

Hi Paul. Yes, Indeed sad it's become political. I do take note of the massed organized protesters in SFO this week, all gathered to beat down China in any way possible. Luckily the torch route went to backup secret route, and the flame was never extinguished. What could have been a peaceful spectator event turned quite ugly due to these protesters. Sure, here in America we have the right to protest and whatnot, but it made the entire 'Torch in SFO' event, a non-event for the thousands of hopeful spectators who wanted to SEE it.

It's all sad, really - IMO, the SFO Torch Run was not the right venue for these protests, and totally sullied the event itself. I do note that the China Visa policies have changed this week as well, but I'm not for certain (though I'm leaning that way) that it was due to the protesters and the perceived threat they bring to a 'peaceful Olypmic event.

grrr.. One 'thing' about the Olympics was that it was not to be a political thing - it was to be an event where politics were set aside for the Spirit of Sport. I don't think this concept of 'purity in Sport' will prevail this year, and it's quite sad (at least to me). Really sullies the entire BeiJing Olympics Concept, imo.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

I believe that there is a group of people around the world that are

"professional protesters" Won't or cannot hold a job and have shown up at every protest event known . A great deal of money flows to many of the organizers and and a lot of out of work hollywood types find it as a way to get there face in the paper again. Kind of wonder how many people were wearing a shirt made in china while protesting the "cause " of the moment. Wish I could talk about the folks in Washington for a bit but will respect the rules.

If protest in China happens during the events I think it would handled in a swift manner.There is a certain segment out there that would delight in causing China to loose face . If Tibet was not the issue then something else would serve them.

I actually think the city of SF did a pretty good job in defusing this potential conflict. This, even though the China bashers are saying they "won" because the route was changed.

We looked better than France or the UK on this one!

:rolleyes:

Jim, you beat me to the punch on this story-line !!! :lol:

I was thinking pretty much the same thing all day today.

Here is the deal: We are Americans. We are not the British, nor the French.

Americans are creative, adaptive and very resourceful.

Couple that, with the fact that the best educated, best trained and best equipped cops in the entire USA, are located in the great state of California, made for a pretty successful story, given the way the deck was stacked by the large number of domestic and imported versions of protestors on hand, for News At Six.

Today¡¯s edition of China Daily, was very elated about the way things turned out in SF and referred to the resourcefulness and quick change in plans, outsmarting the protestors, as something right out of Hollywood !!!

Lao Po told me that all the news on TV in GZ, was very positive in this regard.

Yes, another very good day for the boys from CA. :unsure:

I think that maybe, due to our age, and overall life experience, Jim and I see things from a different perspective :lol:

One must never concede defeat or a draw !!! Always it is VICTORY !!

This was, in my opinion, a victory over those who wished to turn this into a spectacle !! Those groups/individuals were denied the spotlight; and those who were honored to carry the torch, did so for the most part, without any traumatic incidents. :unsure:

I actually think the city of SF did a pretty good job in defusing this potential conflict. This, even though the China bashers are saying they "won" because the route was changed.

We looked better than France or the UK on this one!

:)

Jim, you beat me to the punch on this story-line !!! :D

I was thinking pretty much the same thing all day today.

Here is the deal: We are Americans. We are not the British, nor the French.

Americans are creative, adaptive and very resourceful.

Couple that, with the fact that the best educated, best trained and best equipped cops in the entire USA, are located in the great state of California, made for a pretty successful story, given the way the deck was stacked by the large number of domestic and imported versions of protestors on hand, for News At Six.

Today¡¯s edition of China Daily, was very elated about the way things turned out in SF and referred to the resourcefulness and quick change in plans, outsmarting the protestors, as something right out of Hollywood !!!

Lao Po told me that all the news on TV in GZ, was very positive in this regard.

Yes, another very good day for the boys from CA. B)

As usual big guy you are right on!!!!!! B)

• 2 weeks later...

I find it interesting that these human rights advocates have been so violent.

Of course the violence of the protestors pales in comparison to the level of violence inflicted by the chinese govt upon the Tibetans and the attempt to obliterate their culture by flooding the region with Han's is shameful

Guest lilac6451

It is stupid in writing bad things about other countries. You dont know the history about China so you dont have right to comment. Before you post anything about other country next time, be sure to do your homework.

Edited by lilac6451 (see edit history)