Parents flying to Canada to US as visitors

The good news first is that Liwen's parents went to Beijing last week and both got visitor visas. We followed the guidelines here fairly closely and made a good case for them and visited last month and took lots of pics. Now we are trying to get them good price tickets to fly to Portland Oregon where we would meet them. The cheapest option is for them to fly to Vancouver BC and then to Portland. Is there a problem with them flying first to Canada? Do they also need to get a Canadian visitor visa? Also we thought maybe we could take the train up there and meet them. Could they as an option take a train from Canada to USA or would there be problems? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for the replies. We were able to get tickets for Liwen's parents for a trip here this summer. The price to Portland,Oregon was under $700 each round trip by flying first to Vancouver, B.C. This saved us alot of money since we are paying for the trip. From what I read online about the airport there, when they arrive in Vancouver they go through customs that counts for both the United States and Canada. Also on the return trip since they will have their boarding passes for both flight legs, they will not have to go through customs but can go directly to their connecting flight and their luggage will go direct too. This will make it easier for them on the return trip, since they do not speak English, have a narrower window of time on the return trip, and we would worry about them taking to much time if they had a long customs wait.

My father in law says that several people in front of them were rejected visas at the Beijing embassy but they had no problem. Again the guidelines posted here were very helpful -- we did not do a financial support statement but had lots of pictures, a good invite letter, info on our income, employment letters, and tax returns. The main questions they were asked were: how did their daughter-in-law meet me, what does she do, and what do I do.

Good news on the visa and the trip. Will you share your in-laws proof of return situation?

Are they retired, one or both? Working? Private work or gov't work? Own their own house or houses, a lot of savings or no savings? Big family? From the country or the city? Did you e-mail GUZ directly, or send GUZ a paper copy of anything? Thanks.

Liwen's parent's are both retired, although her father still teaches mathematics part time at a university in Wuhan. They have two adult children still in China who also live in Wuhan. They do not own their own house but live in a university apartment. They do not have much in savings and live a simple life.

I think the key to their success in getting the visa was the careful documentation that we provided based on the guidelines posted at this site. We did have recent pictures of us all together from our trip to visit them last month.

Her father answered the following questions:

why do you want to go to USA? -- to visit my daughter

How did she meet her husband?

What does she do for work?

What does your son-in-law do for work?

Why did you move from Shanghai to Wuhan?

That was all the questions.

Two people in front of them were rejected -- one an older woman who was crying and begging for a visa. My wife's parents saw this and thought that they would not get a visa. But for them it was smooth sailing.

Again I think careful preparation was the key -- look closely at the guidelines posted here. I just do not think you need a financial support letter. But we provided the rest of the documentation.

Thanks for the replies. We were able to get tickets for Liwen's parents for a trip here this summer. The price to Portland,Oregon was under $700 each round trip by flying first to Vancouver, B.C. This saved us alot of money since we are paying for the trip. From what I read online about the airport there, when they arrive in Vancouver they go through customs that counts for both the United States and Canada. Also on the return trip since they will have their boarding passes for both flight legs, they will not have to go through customs but can go directly to their connecting flight and their luggage will go direct too. This will make it easier for them on the return trip, since they do not speak English, have a narrower window of time on the return trip, and we would worry about them taking to much time if they had a long customs wait.

My father in law says that several people in front of them were rejected visas at the Beijing embassy but they had no problem. Again the guidelines posted here were very helpful -- we did not do a financial support statement but had lots of pictures, a good invite letter, info on our income, employment letters, and tax returns. The main questions they were asked were: how did their daughter-in-law meet me, what does she do, and what do I do.

I would hate for your plans to be upset by them being refused at the airport in China, call the Canadian consulate here in the US and the airline to be sure.

From past experience at Vancouver, there is a section of one terminal where that is considered US territory, but unless a flight is arriving from the US or departing to the US you must pass through the Canadian POE to make a connecting flight.

Please take a look at the Visiting Canada Page.

7. Do I need a Canadian visa if I have a United States visa?

Yes you require a visa for Canada. A United States visa does not permit entry to Canada.

*Unless you have been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence and are in possession of your Alien Registration Card (Green Card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence then you do not require a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada as a visitor.

9. I am not going to visit Canada, but my flight stops in Canada on the way to my final destination. Do I still need a visa?

Yes. If you are transiting through Canada to another country destination within 48 hours, you will require a Temporary Resident Visitor Visa known as a Transit Visa. The application process is the same as above, but there is no application fee. For countries and territories that require a transit visa click here