Filing certificate of Citizenship for Daughter

Hello

I have a question, I have officially adopted my step-daughter and given her my last name, Does she have to wait to become a citizen, or can I file for a certificate of citizenship for her? She has her Green card, SS number. If so, what documents will I need to file this with Immigration? I have read that she can basically skip the process and become a citizen because I am a citizen?

Carl

Hello

I have a question, I have officially adopted my step-daughter and given her my last name, Does she have to wait to become a citizen, or can I file for a certificate of citizenship for her? She has her Green card, SS number. If so, what documents will I need to file this with Immigration? I have read that she can basically skip the process and become a citizen because I am a citizen?

Carl

Don't waste the $420 with the N-600, there is a much easier way and faster way to do this with an adopted child. :angry:

Child Citizenship Act Program Update

Adopted children meeting the two-year custody requirement This is based on the first day she entered the US.

You can skip the N-600 along with it's fee and go directly to the Post Office and file for a US Passport. :D

Go to How to Apply in Person for a Passport you can download form DS-11 or complete it online.

See the Last item in section B under Proof of Citizenship,

APPLICATION FOR A U.S. PASSPORT

Congratulations Daddy. :P

Frequently Asked Questions about the CCA

1) Does my child qualify for automatic citizenship under the CCA?

Under CCA, your child will automatically acquire U.S. citizenship on the date that all of the following requirements are satisfied:

* At least one adoptive parent is a U.S. citizen,

* The child is under 18 years of age,

* If the child is adopted, a full and final adoption of the child, and

* The child is admitted to the United States as an immigrant

The certificate is a very expensive option.

I agree with both of Lee and Tine, but my wife still insisted that we get the citizenship paper for our son. First of all she has no interest in going back to china at all so we haven't applied for passports at all. Second she was worried that sometime in the future, he might move away and even if he had a passport he might accidently lose it and something might happen to us. etc. She figured that if we filed for and recieved the citizenship paper, the USCIS would always have a record of it and we could always make sure we protected the paper for him, etc. Basically she just wanted double protection I guess. Luckily we got it before the prices went up last summer so the cost wasn't near as high as it is now. It was worth it to me just to make sure my wife had total piece of mind.

Gale

What Lee said !!

Ok

So what you are telling me is, I can go to the post office and apply for a passport with out getting a certificate of citizenship from USCIS? How is this possible? I thought you had to become a citizen then apply to get a passport? If I go to the post office and apply for a passport what documents do I need? I have the final decree of adoption, her birth records from china, and documentation of how long she has been here. If I can do this fast, then she goes back to china this summer a US Citizen..haha

Carl

Carl

Don't waste the $420 with the N-600, there is a much easier way and faster way to do this with an adopted child. :cheering:

Child Citizenship Act Program Update

Adopted children meeting the two-year custody requirement This is based on the first day she entered the US.

You can skip the N-600 along with it's fee and go directly to the Post Office and file for a US Passport. :)

Go to How to Apply in Person for a Passport you can download form DS-11 or complete it online.

See the Last item in section B under Proof of Citizenship,

APPLICATION FOR A U.S. PASSPORT

Congratulations Daddy. :cheering:

Carl,

1. After your wife gets citizenship certificiate apply for wife and step daughters passports at the same time.

2. You will send your wifes original certificate along with the other documents asked for.

3. Passport office will return orginal documents along with passports.

I had to get new passport for my daughter after the adoption and the documents arrived a day or two after the passport.

Tine