Mailing to China

This is a little weird to me. Today I went to the Post Office to mail my overcome info for our blue slip. I got in line and had the little forms already filled out, only thing I had to do was put a few papers in one of their envelopes and pay for the postage. The guy is pushing buttons on his little computer and says to me, "I can't let you send this". At first I thought he was joking. He said that my letters were considered personal letters and they were going to an individual, not a business. So I asked him why I didn't have a problem before (when I sent the kitchen sink). He said someone made a mistake. He printed a "receipt" of why he couldn't send it, here is what it reads:

Critical Information:

Transaction cannot continue. The following contents are prohibited.

Documents: Only acceptable if sent for business purposes and consigned to a business. Private letters and correspondence addressed to individuals are prohibited.

I don't know. Maybe it was just a dumb window clerk or dumb me (maybe a little of both, lol), but I was wondering if anyone has ever had a similar problem and if GZ knows about it. They do ask us to send things to them for verification through our SO's. Seems like they should know about the laws on mailing things to China. Anyway, I just went to Fedex and laughed about it with the lady there, it should be there by Wednesday. Crazy world.

Scott

It depends on how you fill in the blanks. It's surprising that he could possibly hit a dead-end like that, let alone not know what to do about it, but you can pay postage and print shipping labels from home through the USPS web-site.

Or go to Fed-Ex.

Guest Rob & Jin

So is it against federal law for us to send letters to our loved ones in China?

Good point Charles, I will have to make sure I send all my letters to my parents in the uk to a business address :D , oh darn they are retired, guess no christmas or birthday presents to them. B)

Good point Charles, I will have to make sure I send all my letters to my parents in the uk to a business address :D , oh darn they are retired, guess no christmas or birthday presents to them. B)

Awhile back I sent a letter to my wife and she never got it. If this is true then this is really gonna piss me off BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Rob & Jin

Good point Charles, I will have to make sure I send all my letters to my parents in the uk to a business address B) , oh darn they are retired, guess no christmas or birthday presents to them. B)

Awhile back I sent a letter to my wife and she never got it. If this is true then this is really gonna piss me off BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never had a problem with sending with USPS, do it all online including postage(thats confused a few of the smart workers) where to put their stamp, but no problems always gets there, well so far :D

I have sent several and have no problems. Had it in the envelope and just got the postage at the window. Had no one telling me no they could send it. :D

scratch head and think............

Thats just crazy, my Yu sent off a few post cards to her Mum and Sister a few weeks ago.

You did run into a block head.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/ce_009.htm (Nowhere does it say mail to private individuals prohibited)

Thats just crazy, my Yu sent off a few post cards to her Mum and Sister a few weeks ago.

You did run into a block head.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/ce_009.htm (Nowhere does it say mail to private individuals prohibited)

Cool..........thanks Dan...............I really didn't need anything else to get pissed off about!! :roller:

If I was the OP I would go back to the post office in question and ask for the supervisor and ask them about this and then tell them that you had one of the postal employees tell you other wise and would not send your mail to China.

The postal service employee was badly confused, a lot more than most others, but confusion is prevalent where they work. At my local post office they always get kind of flustered when presented with an international package, like they don't know what they are doing. At any rate, I agree with Corbin that you need to talk with the postmaster about this.

Yep, a good talking with the post master of the post office would be in order.

I wonder how Scott the OP made out?

This is really bizzar, I sent letters and packages from Iraq on my deployment. Which included pictures and video's, crazy world indeed. Funny side note, she sent me letters and they all made it to me but when she sent a package she didnt put "united states" instead she put "Iraq". I'm not suprised the package never made it.