Dual file K3 - CR-1

I too am interested in a dual CR-1 and K-3. I have learned that there are at least 2 members here that did not abandon their I-130.

Yes, there is some other change for USCIS, clearly stating that the I-130 will be 'captured' at NVC for later processing for AOS , but even that is meaningless (from a procedural standpoint) as ANOTHER collection of forms needs to be submitted once she's here.

However, I do see a tiny loophole, and I am gonna try to take advantage of it. On that one info page, it was mentioned (I paraphrase here) If you are filing a K-3 (I-130 and I-129F) and If you do not want the I-130 abandoned, you must clearly state this on the I-130 .

So I'm putting some extra words on the form pages, and on all other documents that I'm submitting. Thank God I still have an old typewriter, I can type in my phrases anywhere on the form where's there's some extra space.

For me, is not a concept of money , is a concept of timing and travel.

Hi Darnell, Where did you see this as I would like to read the page myself also?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am interested in a dual CR-1 and K-3. I have learned that there are at least 2 members here that did not abandon their I-130.

Yes, there is some other change for USCIS, clearly stating that the I-130 will be 'captured' at NVC for later processing for AOS , but even that is meaningless (from a procedural standpoint) as ANOTHER collection of forms needs to be submitted once she's here.

However, I do see a tiny loophole, and I am gonna try to take advantage of it. On that one info page, it was mentioned (I paraphrase here) If you are filing a K-3 (I-130 and I-129F) and If you do not want the I-130 abandoned, you must clearly state this on the I-130 .

So I'm putting some extra words on the form pages, and on all other documents that I'm submitting. Thank God I still have an old typewriter, I can type in my phrases anywhere on the form where's there's some extra space.

Yes, that is what you have to do on form I-130 I would write in bold RED letters "Requesting Counselor Processing" Also note this on your cover letter for the I-130.

If CR-1 makes it to the consulate while they are working on K-3, the consulate will toss the K-3in favor of the CR-1.

Others interview for K-3, and while preparing for the trip to USA on the K-3, the CR-1 interview gets scheduled so they interview for that and just enter the USA using the CR-1.

same for K-3 ?

not same for K3.

---

Each case is really individual and to go for either one is usually going to contain more issues and concerns than are shared or even understood at the time.

A K3 has served alot of people very well and was started for a good reason... mostly in the past but at least it is still an option now.

If the lady really has no need/desire to work and just wants to get over quickly as a spouse, then a K3 will probably be statistically faster. But realize that an SOs desire to get here 'faster' may simply be a desire to get life moving to the next step.. and if they get here and cannot move to a next step of work, then a K3 will be frustrating once in the US at a time you don't want petty issues.

But I would say that the decision should be as rational as possible and not get caught up in "faster is better"... this is very subjective and often looking at only one phase (getting to the US and not considering what the next steps will require once in the US).

Again, for the general spousal case, my personal opinion is that a CR1 is OVERALL the better path if one looks at the 2 year process of getting the GC. But the K3 is a good choice for some.

Yes David,

And also, it may not just be the wife that feels this way. It may in fact be the USC and/or it may be a joint view/decision. Others should not try to impart/transfer their individual life circumstance on those who may have differing life circumstances.

Shit, I will be fully retired on June 1st, after 33 hard years of honorable service. Therefore, I am not going to send Lao Po, freshly arrived in this country, off to work everyday. And in our situation, she will not be left home alone all day, as I will no longer be working 10 hour days.

I will have retired in the upper management ranks of my agency and I feel blessed that my retirement package is excellent, and includes medical and dental coverage for Lao Po and daughter. She too, has worked her butt off all of her life, and always as a single mom to boot.

We plan on jointly doing some part-time internet importing business here in the US, facilitated with her family members in GZ, who are principals in varied manufacturing companies in that region, and otherwise just enjoy life and our children together. Also we plan on a lot of RV travel within the US.

Moreover, in about two weeks, we will have been married for 17 months. By the time she arrives and our AOS paperwork is processed, we will have been married two years, and she will be eligible for the ten year GC. Also, as has been discussed, the K-3 and K-4, allow for travel back and forth to China without AP; therefore, all of [our] needs are met with the K-3, pending AOS.

Yes, we are ready to get on with the rest of our life, and as soon as possible.

K-3 and K-4 works for me/us, in my/our situation. For those who do not care about a longer wait, and wish to have their spouse fully adjusted and eligible to go out in the job market, shortly after arrival; then the CR-1 will work for them, that is their joint choice/decision.

Congratulatuions on your well earned retirement Roger- 33 years in the same organization, tragically you are the part of a dying breed -jim

Thank you for your kind comments Jim.

Actually, many in my organization work 30 years, or very close to it.

Some lose interest and/or choose other career paths along the way; some get injured and cannot continue; and some others unfortunately lose their life prior to retirement.

I worked a few years longer, due to one more promotion of rank, and the fact I was still having fun and was still very healthy and not burned-out. Because my agency is so large, and encompasses so many aspects, I was able to do something new every few years; which allowed me to stay challenged and maintain a fresh perspective.

Now with Lao Po having entered my world, I feel like life is so very much renewed, on multiple levels. This woman is so precious to me. We both thank God, for bringing us together. :)

Yes, that is what you have to do on form I-130 I would write in bold RED letters "Requesting Counselor Processing" Also note this on your cover letter for the I-130.

If CR-1 makes it to the consulate while they are working on K-3, the consulate will toss the K-3in favor of the CR-1.

Others interview for K-3, and while preparing for the trip to USA on the K-3, the CR-1 interview gets scheduled so they interview for that and just enter the USA using the CR-1.

Grrr - I note all this stuff is changing up again, both at USCIS and GUZ, so though I not want to play the horse race, I thought to file K-3 and not abandon CR-1/I-130. Thanks for the heads up about GUZ processing stuff. I really appreciate it !