Acquire another SS card/Driver License after getting the 2-yr green ca

Hi all,

My husband just received his 2-yr green card. Now I have several other questions:

1. What is actually the different between 2-yr green card and those normal 10-yr green card? Does he consider lawful resident? If he wants to go to college, does he consider international student or lawful resident?

2. He applied his SS card right after he came here, so there's a note on his card saying sth like authorized to work with legal evidence. Now he received his 2-yr green card, does he need to go to the social security office and get a new one?

3. Same thing as above, he got his learner permit by submitting his EAD, so the learner permit shows an expiration date when his EAD is expired. Now he got his green card, should he go to DMV office and have them issue another new one?

I have read several other posts regarding I-751 removal of status. Does it relate to renewal of green card before it expires in 2 years?

Thank you very much.

1) The 2 year card is one with conditions attached, that is proof a bona fide marriage will be needed to be provided within 90 days of the card expiration, You file I-751 to remove the conditions. He is still a LPR, just one with conditions. lawful Resident.

SEE: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29296

2) YES, Give it a few weeks then visit SSA and apply for an unrestricted SSN.

3) Yes, the green-card tells DMV that he has residency status for 2 years, they will probably code the permit or license to expire same time as the green-card.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

What Dan said. I would only clarify that you must file the I-751 to remove conditions within 90 days PRIOR to it's expiration date. This is very important. If you wait until it expires he will be out of status.

Thank you guys.

So, how about 10 yr green card. Will that come after 2 years? Or we need to fill out another application to renew it? How about after 2 years, his 2-yr green card expires while the 10-yr one hasn't come?

The 2-yr GC is good for two years from the date on the card. You'll need to file the I-751 no sooner than 90 days prior to the date the 2-year GC expires. In other words, wait 21 months from receipt of the 2-yr GC and then file to remove the conditions.

You're filing far enough ahead of the 2 year date so that the 10 year card comes before the 2 year card expires.

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

You're filing far enough ahead of the 2 year date so that the 10 year card comes before the 2 year card expires.

Not quite, in most cases I-751 takes longer than 90 days to process, in some cases it can take more than a year.

I-751's NOA1 letter will have notation that the letter extends LPR status for 1 year beyond the 2 year card's expiration.

If I-751 looks like it will be longer than 1 year beyond the 2 year care expiration, then a visit to USCIS field office is a good thing to get an I-551 stamp in passport to provide continued LPR status proof.

Thank you guys.

So, how about 10 yr green card. Will that come after 2 years? Or we need to fill out another application to renew it? How about after 2 years, his 2-yr green card expires while the 10-yr one hasn't come?

This is what we have been talking about, the I-751 will do this. Approval of I-751 results in the 10 year unconditional card. Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

You have no choice. You must file the I-751 to remove conditions or your husband will be out of status. Ours took 7 months to process.. They may be longer now because of backlogs. Usually no interview is needed. I would recommend you file as soon as possible. You can download the form here. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

A sample form filled in is here. http://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-751.pdf

This adjustment is not automatic. You must file the form and pay the fee. He will also have to get another biometric (finger printing) done as well. You can include the biometric fee along with the I-751 fee.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

Not quite, in most cases I-751 takes longer than 90 days to process, in some cases it can take more than a year.

I-751's NOA1 letter will have notation that the letter extends LPR status for 1 year beyond the 2 year card's expiration.

If I-751 looks like it will be longer than 1 year beyond the 2 year care expiration, then a visit to USCIS field office is a good thing to get an I-551 stamp in passport to provide continued LPR status proof.

My bad. Wishful thinking. ;)

All right. Just want to make sure:

My husband needs to file I 751 90 days prior to the expiration of his 2-yr green card. He can't file it earlier than that. This form considers both the removal of condition and application of 10-yr green card. There is no separate application needs to be filed for that 10-yr green card. So he should be treated as LPR now since he got his 2-yr GC.

Thank you everyone!

My husband needs to file I 751 90 days prior to the expiration of his 2-yr green card. He can't file it earlier than that. This form considers both the removal of condition and application of 10-yr green card. There is no separate application needs to be filed for that 10-yr green card. So he should be treated as LPR now since he got his 2-yr GC.

Thank you everyone!

Yep, You have this straight now. :surrender:

One more thing I-751 is jointly filed by US Citizen, and Green-card holder.

Mark your calendar so you won't forget.

Thank you everyone!

That is correct. To clarify.

You and Your husband must file the I-751 within 90 days prior to the green card expiration. This is the only form you need to file.

After you file you will receive a form I-797C Notice Of Action (NOA)

This form extends his green card for one year. Safe guard it, it is the only proof he will have of being legal in this country until the petition is approved.

Now that he has a green card he is a legal permanent resident. He has all the same rights and privledges as any other LPR. The only difference is he must file to remove the conditions.