Bringing the parents over for the wedding

Hi All,

Once my fiancee gets her K1 visa and comes to the US, we would really like to bring her parents to the wedding. They are Chinese nationals who have never been to the US before.

Is there anything I can do from my side to help get them here? Or are they pretty much on their own in obtaining a visitors visa from the US consulate in China? I would think (hope) that there is some special "attend their daughter's wedding" fast track, but I cannot find anything of the sort.

Anyone else find themselves in this position? What's the best way to go about it?

best way is to send them pictures of the wedding....

Thinking the same.

We had a nice engagement party for friend and family after getting the K-1 visa. The party was much like a wedding.

... I would think (hope) that there is some special "attend their daughter's wedding" fast track, but I cannot find anything of the sort... /quote]

No. There is neither such a thing as (hope) nor is there such a thing as a fast track. Yes, you can call, pay the phone fee and help them get an appointment and fill out the applications for a visitor's visa.

According to the people we spoke to recently whose Chinese parent(s) are visiting in the US right now, you must have a "good" affidavit of support, a good invitiation letter and irrefutable proof of the parent(s) intention to return to China. Good luck with that one.

At least, do what dnblett said and some CFL couples have done. Throw a "wedding" party in China. That way, all of the family and friends can attend and have a great time too!

I can tell you with certainty- if they do not apply for a visitor's visa they will never come to visit.

Ties to China... As many as you can.

1) employment history.

2) property owned.

3) dependents remaining behind.

4) any foreign travel experience and return home on time.

5) Consider one coming and the other remaining. That's a tough one. I know many women denied for business visas because they were not married. Married women had less problems. A husband at home is a small plus.

Anybody got more?

Bill, it's tough to get one. Personally I think if you don't give it your best effort - they'll be pissed at you. Let them be pissed at the US Gov. Then plan a compromise. Many do parties before or after.

Edited by Jay & Ping (see edit history)