The following are the 2008 Poverty Guidelines for the 48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia:

Size of Family Unit - Poverty Guidelines - 125 Percent

1 - $10,400 - $13,000

2 - $14,000 - $17,500

3 - $17,600 - $22,000

4 - $22,200 - $26,500

5 - $24,800 - $31,000

6 - $28,400 - $35,500

7 - $32,000 - $40,000

8 - $35,600 - $44,500

For family units with more than 8 members, add $3,600 for each additional member to meet the poverty guideline; $4,500 to meet 125% of the poverty guideline.

When processing immigrant visa cases subject to the Affidavit of Support (I-864) requirement under INA 212(a)(4)©, posts must use the figures in the column on the right (125% of poverty guidelines) as the minimum income that a petitioner and/or a joint sponsor must demonstrate, or the column on the left (100%) for an active member of the U.S. Armed Forces sponsoring his orher spouse or children.

Thanks........

Does anyone know if you are close to the 125% line that they would look at it as being bad? Could you be turned down because of this? :)

No, they can't, but it's at their discretion as to whether they might want to take a closer look at you.

In other words, the reason given for a white slip is never, "He was close to the poverty line" - it's always "Not a valid relationship".

It's generally a combination of things that catches their eye, however.

financial issues are often a cloudy issue... meaning: If the VO questions anything, my feeling is that the historical record reflects they will ask for financial proof... WHY? An issue like a 'gut feeling' from a VO is not grounds for denial but financial issues are...

I think that Eunice (aka SmilingAsia) has said is that if the financials are 'beautiful', then there is less likely a chance of denial... but that is my interpretation of her words, which I listen to often...

financial issues are often a cloudy issue... meaning: If the VO questions anything, my feeling is that the historical record reflects they will ask for financial proof... WHY? An issue like a 'gut feeling' from a VO is not grounds for denial but financial issues are...

I think that Eunice (aka SmilingAsia) has said is that if the financials are 'beautiful', then there is less likely a chance of denial... but that is my interpretation of her words, which I listen to often...

If you were to have a co-sponsor when do they have to be brought into the picture? Because of all the things that do worry me it is the financial. This also concerns my soon to be wife Ada. :happybday:

If you were to have a co-sponsor when do they have to be brought into the picture? Because of all the things that do worry me it is the financial. This also concerns my soon to be wife Ada. :happybday:

Either the VO asks for some financials at the interview of the VO doesn't... but that is the time to have it on hand.

David's exactly right Corbin, have the notorized co-sponsor I-134 and 3 years tax returns for the co-sponsor at the interview.

If you feel you're border line, take in the co-sponsor info to be handed in with your financials.

Good luck buddy.

tsap seui

So $14,001 is considered ABOVE the poverty level for two people?

Geez. :ph34r:

Dave, if my math is correct, for a family unit of two, if you make $ 8.67 per hour, (avg. 168 hours per month) you will be ok.

$17,500 divided by 12 = $1,458 per/mo divided by 168 work hours in an avg. month = $8.67 per/hr.

If you work less than 168 hours per/month, the per hour rate must be increased.

The premier, In-N-Out hamburger chain in CA, starts out now at about $9.00 per hr. So, if you work there, you might be able to pull it off, without help from mom or dad. :blink:

BTW, the In-N-Out job, includes a free lunch !!

Next, I agree with both David Z. and Randy's assessments, coupled with the related view of Eunice !!!! Aside from suspicions of fraud, the [financials] are the big flag; including one's tax filing status !!

They might not specify it in the blue or white slip, but if you are one who has 'neglected' to file the federal tax return for a few years, stand-by to stand-by !!! IMO. :sosad: