How long does it take EAD to be approved?

If I send my I-485, AP, and EAD to Chicago Lockbox, how long would it take to approve my EAD?

I am looking for a job. The employers always ask me when I can start working. It would kill my chance of getting a job if my answer is I do not know the time.

Thanks!

For us... 65 days from filing to approval. 48 days from NOA1 to approval.

Your mileage may vary. :lol:

Edit: Oops. I forgot a whole month there. I've revised my figures. Sorry. B)

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)
Guest Mike and Lily

If I send my I-485, AP, and EAD to Chicago Lockbox, how long would it take to approve my EAD?

I am looking for a job. The employers always ask me when I can start working. It would kill my chance of getting a job if my answer is I do not know the time.

Thanks!

For us, about 2 months from the time we sent in the application.

It varies a bit from 2 to 3 months to approve EAD, I have seen on occasion of people having green-card approved before EAD thus having EAD dropped in favor of the green-card.

Ask them when they can hire you? That is, what paperwork would they require in order for you to begin working?

All employers in the USA must verify employment eligibility, that is EAD card or green-card, this is specified on form I-9.

Ask them when they can hire you? That is, what paperwork would they require in order for you to begin working?

Thank you for all your replies!

The questions are mostly from head hunters. They are paid if I am hired by a company. Some of my head hunters already said that they would not recommend me to a company interview unless I can work immediately, but I should start interviewing now so that I can start as soon as I get my EAD.

Now, based on all your replies, I think I can tell my head hunter that I can work within 2 months. Even if it takes 3 months for EAD to arrive, I can always ask the hiring company to wait for a few weeks before I start working.

One more question, does EAD approval come from local office or national service centers? Can I schedule a meeting with my local office through InfoPass to expedite the process?

Thanks again and again!

All employers in the USA must verify employment eligibility, that is EAD card or green-card, this is specified on form I-9.

From the I-9:

If employees are authorized to work, but are unable to present the required document(s) within three business days, they must present a receipt for the application of the document(s) within three business days and the actual document(s) within ninety (90) days.
While employers in most areas of the country might require you to have an EAD card before beginning work, in areas with a high concentration of illegal aliens an alien who is eligible to apply for EAD is preferred to the illegals. They can furnish the card within the 90 days. Reporting is done to the IRS and USCIS only on an annual basis.

Ask your prospective employer what they require. If you want to wait for the card, there's nothing wrong with that either.

From the I-9:
If employees are authorized to work, but are unable to present the required document(s) within three business days, they must present a receipt for the application of the document(s) within three business days and the actual document(s) within ninety (90) days.
While employers in most areas of the country might require you to have an EAD card before beginning work, in areas with a high concentration of illegal aliens an alien who is eligible to apply for EAD is preferred to the illegals. They can furnish the card within the 90 days. Reporting is done to the IRS and USCIS only on an annual basis.

Ask your prospective employer what they require. If you want to wait for the card, there's nothing wrong with that either.

But I am not authorized to work before I get EAD, so the 90 day requirement does not apply to me.

Edited by kgkg (see edit history)
From the I-9:

But I am not authorized to work before I get EAD, so the 90 day requirement does not apply to me.

Waiting for the card is definitely an option.

One more question, does EAD approval come from local office or national service centers? Can I schedule a meeting with my local office through InfoPass to expedite the process?

Thanks again and again!

EAD based on I-485 adjustment is processed by the National Benefits center in Missouri.

There is no expediting, if there were then everyone would try.

Thanks again and again!

EAD based on I-485 adjustment is processed by the National Benefits center in Missouri.

If it is over 90 days, i can go to a local office to get a temporary one. So the maximum waiting time is 90 days. Am I right?

Thanks again and again!

If it is over 90 days, i can go to a local office to get a temporary one. So the maximum waiting time is 90 days. Am I right?

That is only if the EAD hasn't been approved in 90 days....in our case it had been approved, but we had not received it within 90 days, so there was NOTHING we could so about it....we just had to wait...we were required to wait at least 14 days after approval to see if it showed up in the mail....at that point, we were past the 90 days and then past the 14 days and still no card.....it was MOST frustrating at the time, but this was only one time that this happened to us, the other EAD's arrived in a very timely manner! our problem incident card finally just appeared in our mail one day! it caused LOTS of problems at the time, but all that is over now! we have had the 10 yr gc for almost 2 yrs now! a great blessing!

by the way, hello everyone...long time no post!!! our family is doing well! looking forward to naturalization in a little over a year!! wow!!

kim

Thanks again and again!

That is only if the EAD hasn't been approved in 90 days....in our case it had been approved, but we had not received it within 90 days, so there was NOTHING we could so about it....we just had to wait...we were required to wait at least 14 days after approval to see if it showed up in the mail....at that point, we were past the 90 days and then past the 14 days and still no card.....it was MOST frustrating at the time, but this was only one time that this happened to us, the other EAD's arrived in a very timely manner! our problem incident card finally just appeared in our mail one day! it caused LOTS of problems at the time, but all that is over now! we have had the 10 yr gc for almost 2 yrs now! a great blessing!

by the way, hello everyone...long time no post!!! our family is doing well! looking forward to naturalization in a little over a year!! wow!!

kim

Hi Kim, Thanks for the reply. Blessings to you too!