Teaching ESL, earning certificate that is useable in U.S.

Hi Everyone,

I am considering the idea of changing career paths, but if I do it, I'd like to try an unusual approach. I am a native English speaker, college grad with a BA, former holder of a HS level Social studies teaching certificate. What I think I'd like to do is check out the possibility of some sort of an exchange program in which I could go to China and 1. teach ESL and get paid for my efforts, 2. earn my internationally recognized ESL certificate in the process, and 3. be qualified to teach ESL in American schools at the end of it. I know I sound like I'm asking a lot but there it is.

This is kind of a plan B in case I have trouble getting my girl out of China in a timely manner through K1. I figure if things don't go well, I could withdraw my petition, go over there for a while, get married, teach, and eventually we could file to come back to America through the already married path.

Just trying to keep my options open, don't really expect any big problems, but you never know.

I would suggest not looking at teaching in China as Plan B to get your gal into the country; something doesn't ring true to that. However:

• You have the qualifications to teach English in China.
  • A TESL certificate might be useful.
  • Do not expect much in the way of pay.

I do not know if you will be qualified to teach in US schools on your return.

My trip to China last summer was to locate places that I might teach. Then I met my gal and that plan went out the window. :blink:

Hi Everyone,

I am considering the idea of changing career paths, but if I do it, I'd like to try an unusual approach. I am a native English speaker, college grad with a BA, former holder of a HS level Social studies teaching certificate. What I think I'd like to do is check out the possibility of some sort of an exchange program in which I could go to China and 1. teach ESL and get paid for my efforts, 2. earn my internationally recognized ESL certificate in the process, and 3. be qualified to teach ESL in American schools at the end of it. I know I sound like I'm asking a lot but there it is.

This is kind of a plan B in case I have trouble getting my girl out of China in a timely manner through K1. I figure if things don't go well, I could withdraw my petition, go over there for a while, get married, teach, and eventually we could file to come back to America through the already married path.

Just trying to keep my options open, don't really expect any big problems, but you never know.

Being a former college instructor I looked into teaching ESL in Shenzhen as my plan B! It was not a bad gig, schooling in Beijing, room and board, learn Mandarin, work 5 days a week, and a salary of around $30,000 usd..... The part about it transferring to the USA, not so easy, ESL maybe, but it would take a school to recognize your work in China. Getting to teach in the US depends on how hard up a district is for teachers, things get waved when they need people! :)

I would suggest not looking at teaching in China as Plan B to get your gal into the country; something doesn't ring true to that. However:

• You have the qualifications to teach English in China.
  • A TESL certificate might be useful.
  • Do not expect much in the way of pay.

I do not know if you will be qualified to teach in US schools on your return.

My trip to China last summer was to locate places that I might teach. Then I met my gal and that plan went out the window. :)

Thanks to you and Shenzhen for the info., but I am a little confused -what do you mean "Something doesn't ring true to that?"

Hi Everyone,

Being a former college instructor I looked into teaching ESL in Shenzhen as my plan B! It was not a bad gig, schooling in Beijing, room and board, learn Mandarin, work 5 days a week, and a salary of around $30,000 usd..... The part about it transferring to the USA, not so easy, ESL maybe, but it would take a school to recognize your work in China. Getting to teach in the US depends on how hard up a district is for teachers, things get waved when they need people! :)

It was my plan B, if I could not get her here!! Just did not if they had wrestling for my sons there!! :)

...just my way of saying that teaching in China as Plan B some how doesn't really sound like a Plan B...that's probably influenced by my own notions of teaching in China. I cannot imagine teaching in China as a Plan B...only as a plan A.

OK, I get it now. Thanks for clarifying it for me. It's a plan B for me because, my job here in the U.S. pays better. BUT, my job here is quite stressful and is not the most secure in the world. So, if something were to go wrong in the K1 process, moving to China would become a much more attractive option. But then I come full circle again - I'd like to be able to use my teaching talents here in the future too without having to jump through a bunch of hoops first.

To teach ESL here in a school, you have to have a regular teaching degree. To teach in China you could get a TESL or TEFL certification. Depending on what city she lives in you could make okay money to live there- around 15,000 RMB a month(or so it was 4 years ago) in Shanghai and probably more if you found the right job. Check out this link, daveseslcafe.com and you can find more info. Plus- especially if it's a small city, you can get lots of tutoring jobs and supplement that way. I lived in China teaching english for three years in Shenzhen and Shanghai, so PM me if you have any questions.

To teach ESL here in a school, you have to have a regular teaching degree. To teach in China you could get a TESL or TEFL certification. Depending on what city she lives in you could make okay money to live there- around 15,000 RMB a month(or so it was 4 years ago) in Shanghai and probably more if you found the right job. Check out this link, daveseslcafe.com and you can find more info. Plus- especially if it's a small city, you can get lots of tutoring jobs and supplement that way. I lived in China teaching english for three years in Shenzhen and Shanghai, so PM me if you have any questions.

I am using a certification course recommended by daveseslcafe.com. It's really good.