Time to receive Social Security number?

Illinois requires a SSN before Ling can apply for her driver's license. This wasn't going to be a big deal because we had planned on her having her Chinese license before she arrived and Illinois allows her to drive on that. Unfortunately, SARS shut down the driving school just long enough to make that impossible.

As we live in the countryside, she really needs to drive soon after getting here (she already knows how to drive but is going to miss the license test by a bit). Any idea how long it will take to get her SSN? She is arriving on a K1 but we will be married the day after she arrives.

According to the SS website, a K-1 visa holder is authorized to receive a SSN. The length of receiving it, I dont know.

From their site:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cf...hZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

Question

I have come to the U.S. to marry my boyfriend. My immigration document shows “K-1.” How do I get a Social Security number so I can work?

Answer

The “K-1” symbol on your immigration document means you are the fiancé of a U.S. citizen and are authorized to work.

The alternative, of course, is a horse! :D

NO!!!!NO!!!!!!NOT A HORSE!!!!! I broke every bone in my body, incuding pelvis , hip, and back, breaking horses (Had a large ranch in OR at one time). STAY AWAY FROM HORSES!!!! :blink: :o :)

From everything I have been able to glean regarding how long SSN takes, I think it is safe to say it depends on two things. First of all, where you live and second, how long it takes BCIS to enter your fiance's name into the system after her arrival. Some have received SSN very quickly, others have not. Our case was an example of the "have nots". Li entered the country on March 28 and we finally received SSN in early July. :lol:

The reason for the delay: BCIS had not entered her name into the computer system and SSA would not issue a number until that occured. We, too, live in a rural area and you can imagine the difficulties this presented. I would suggest you stay in contact with the local SSA office after you apply. Try not to fall into a black hole like we did. :lol:

We applied for Xiaolu's SSN on 06-13, at which time we were handed a letter saying that she should receive her card in about 2 weeks. Yesterday, after waiting 5 weeks, I called the local office and was told that because someone with the same name had recently applied for an SSN in another state, we needed to wait for a "background investigation" to be conducted, to make sure that it's not the same person trying to get two different numbers. No....I'm not making this up. Doesn't this "similar name" drill sound familiar? Needless to say, my Congressman's office will be receiving a phone call bright and early Monday morning.

We applied for Xiaolu's SSN on 06-13, at which time we were handed a letter saying that she should receive her card in about 2 weeks.  Yesterday, after waiting 5 weeks, I called the local office and was told that because someone with the same name had recently applied for an SSN in another state, we needed to wait for a "background investigation" to be conducted, to make sure that it's not the same person trying to get two different numbers.  No....I'm not making this up.  Doesn't this "similar name" drill sound familiar?  Needless to say, my Congressman's office will be receiving a phone call bright and early Monday morning.

Don't forget to sue for 3.4567 billion dollars, lawyer ;)

This is America !!

:lol: :lol:

We applied for Xiaolu's SSN on 06-13, at which time we were handed a letter saying that she should receive her card in about 2 weeks.  Yesterday, after waiting 5 weeks, I called the local office and was told that because someone with the same name had recently applied for an SSN in another state, we needed to wait for a "background investigation" to be conducted, to make sure that it's not the same person trying to get two different numbers.  No....I'm not making this up.  Doesn't this "similar name" drill sound familiar?  Needless to say, my Congressman's office will be receiving a phone call bright and early Monday morning.

Good grief!!!!! Unbelievable!

:D :D :P ;)

According to the SS website, a K-1 visa holder is authorized to receive a SSN. The length of receiving it, I dont know.

From their site:

Question

I have come to the U.S. to marry my boyfriend. My immigration document shows “K-1.” How do I get a Social Security number so I can work?

Answer

The “K-1” symbol on your immigration document means you are the fiancé of a U.S. citizen and are authorized to work.

I took Yan to the SS office the second week she was in America. No problem getting it. They said it will take 2 weeks to receive the card.

From their site:

Question

Answer

I took Yan to the SS office the second week she was in America. No problem getting it. They said it will take 2 weeks to receive the card.

I hope it all works out as smoothly as they say Tony. But be advised, this is what they told the Texan. Even gave him a letter stating as much. Now look at the mess he is dealing with. But it does seem that Boston is more efficient than many other centers.

My wife came on a K3. They wouldn't give her the SSN without a work visa. I applied for that the week after she arrived in Feb, and it took over 4 months fo rher to get the work authorization from the INS.

Then, we went to the social security office on a Wed, and she got the card in the mail on the folloiwing Monday (less than a week later). Still with the wait from the INS, it took over 4 months before my wife could get the SSN. This held up my filing my taxes, and putting her on my bank accounts.

:mellow: ;) ;)

So far I think Massachusetts has been the best giving SSN's & EAD cards. When she gets here go down and apply for her temporary EAD card. Even if she does not plan on working for a while. One it is free, two it will get her into the system in your state instantly without having to wait for BCIS to send the info.

A couple of days later go and apply for the SSN.

Our time line for EAD & SSN

Arrived from Shanghai 2/4/03, applied for and received temporary EAD card 2/7/03.

Applied SSN 2/12/03 received it 2/19/03.