Health Insurance upon arrival to US

My Yu was un-insured until we married, and then I added her to my policy. We married only a few weeks after entry to the USA so this was not a problem.

Check with your insurer, they may offer you coverage before marriage, as coverage of a Significant Other, I suspect they may do this for un-married couples living together.

SEE: https://www.insurance.com/quotes/article.as...rtners/artid/63

Does anyone have experience with obtaining health insurance coverage for their fiancee upon arrival in the US and prior to marriage when she can be added to coverage at work as a spouse?

Thanks.

My insurance at work is Aetna, after getting married it takes 30 days to put her and daughter on my policy. I have to write a letter stating that she lives with me and full time, no Dad in picture to get her coverage. B)

You have to check with your company's health insurance policies on when you can enroll her. Not every company's policy is the same! I had to wait until we were married to add her but I couldn't wait pass three months after we were married to add her on. If I waited pass the three months then I would have to do it at the next open enrollment time. I also had to give them a copy of my marriage license. I hope this gives you a partial idea to your question. Your company should be able to answer your question in full.

Edited by amerchin (see edit history)